Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm multitasking at this very moment. Watching golf on tv, viewing this forum and rubbing my dog's belly with my feet. I need a nap.

Please don't over do it. Someone might mistake that for working.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

How do you know this guy is troll with just one post, asking a question? Granted that it was condescending If he is really a multimillion and knows it all, I'd be interested in his responses to others.

The number of viewers seems to be pretty meaningless for a number of reasons and there are many reasons individuals participate in the forum.

--At times I spend a lot of time (perhaps too much) going through posts but I also sometimes leave RE tab open when I go do something else, which will show I'm still logged in.

--I don't know how many members belong to the site or how many that lurk before joining, so the actual people may vary or be a small percentage of the total posters

--I'm no where near being a decamillionairre (unless I change to certain currencies--other than the dollar). So I find it interesting to read other people's experiences in managing in similar and different financial situations.

--I enjoy offering information that may be helpful or encouraging others to retire sooner where possible as I have no regrets and always planned to retire early, it was just sooner than expected which I'm grateful for the opportunity.

--I retired 4-5 years earlier than planned so I'm still trying to figure some things out specific to my situation. There are many things I never really thought and it is interesting to get different perspectives from those who have been retired for longer periods. There is always things to learn.
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

I for one make no excuses for whatever time I spend reading posts on this Site. I don't post often, but I log quite a lot of time reading posts and learning from others. I find it interesting and educational, sometimes inspirational. A wealth of experience and knowledge on this Site.
Dan4495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice!!!
scaubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

As others have pointed out, keeping a window open probably shows you as "on-line", but I have literally ~ 100 open tabs right now. I just keep stuff open as I research it, and come back later to follow up.

-ERD50
100 open tabs!!!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Does that make ERD50 a centatabularian?
Geld ist Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
100 open tabs!!!
Sure. I guess it's like my comment in one of those de-cluttering/stuff threads. I really like moving from one hobby/activity to another, so I have a fair amount of 'stuff' out and about at any one time. And out-of-sight is out-of-mind, so a lot of it stays out where I see it, and remember to do something with it when I want.

Same with my browsing - I jump from interest to interest over the course of hours/days/weeks, and leave the tabs open so everything is there when I get back to it. I go weeks w/o shutting down the computer, though I occasionally need to close my browser (it is set to restore all the open tabs) to free up memory. 12 GB sometimes gets strained with that many tabs opening and closing over time.

So maybe a half dozen threads from this forum, and maybe that many articles linked to those threads. Same with a music forum, a science forum, maybe a beer brewing forum. I found a patent from a relative of DW, I want to show her that, so I just leave it open. We are meeting with friends for dinner this w/e, so a bunch open on different restaurants. Maybe a few tabs for each home project that I have WIP, or am planning, A few financial tabs, news tabs - and the news means I'm clicking links to look up sources. A few youtube videos that I plan to watch sometime.

Plus, I'm programming some little computer modules (ESP8266's)in MicroPython. That project involves file writes, network connections and sockets, and updating time through the NTP pool servers. There are a lot of subjects that I am not very familiar with, so a few tabs open for each of those, plus general programming references, as I'm not fluent in Python-ese. If I close as I go, I'll never remember how I got there.

It adds up fast.

I guess my response to anyone shocked at 100 tabs open, is "What? You don't have 100 tabs open?!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geld ist Freiheit View Post
Does that make ERD50 a centatabularian?
Everybody's gotta have a goal! Maybe I should get a plaque made?

PS - and now I've some tabs open trying to find out what "Geld ist Freiheit" means

My German is very limited, this was of no help - but another tab with Google Translate got it for me. And I agree (or at least it helps!).

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote