I am pulling the trigger on July 10th!

Congrats on your retirement! We retired in Feb. and haven't had time to slow down and realize we are retired! Welcome to the club!

Yep it has been a long career.I have gone from punched cards on the old IBM 370 to laptops. A lot of IT knowledge is going down the drain as we dinosaurs exit for greener pastures.

Regarding expenses, my pension check covers all my fixed expenses plus an extra $150 left over. I figure that I will need a $1000 a month for beer, golf, dining, medical expenses, sporting events, beer, gas, beer and what ever is not covered as a fixed expense. :) I will draw from my company 401K which will allow me non penalized withdrawls because I am over 55. At age 59 1/2, I will start drawing on my IRAs. I also have an AMERIPRISE annuity (I know.. don't throw barbs at me) coming available at age 65.

I have no debt other than credit cards which I pay off each month.

I do something a little wierd with my paycheck. I have figured out the monthly costs for all my annual, quarterly and semi-annual bills. I put away money each month in subaccounts that represents my bills. So when the bill comes up, I will have the money in hand. One could make the argument that squirreling away for example the real estate tax of two payments each year for $3500 is not putting your money to work in the best way. However, I have peace of mine that the money is there. I could earn a little more with money market accounts or short term bonds but it is easy doing all of this in my credit union savings accounts which do earn a small interest rate.

I also use subaccounts for expected purchases down the road. For example, I get mulch for the yard every two years. I put away $15 a month for that.

I downloaded an app that keep track of expenses during the month offfset from an initial balance. I do this on the fly for cash stuff. I input my credit card expenses from QUICKEN afterwards. This is for expenses not covered by my pension and subaccounts. As I get closer to the $1000 budget for the month, I can have the option of avoiding some discretionary spending. As a reward to myself, any money left over at the end of the month goes to one of my VANGUARD accounts.

Large payment such as vacations will come from other savings that are not part of this.

This is my plan for expenses after July 10th.

Cool. I do the same thing with sub-accounts, it all about what works and it works for me as well. Congrats for sticking with one company for so many years, and I am sure they will miss all that knowledge leaving he company

Congratulations!

I am another dinosaur likely on my way next month.

Personally, I am considering opening some kind of consulting practice with exorbitant rates fro doing IBM/390 assembler, COBOL, JCL, etc. Interested?

Regarding expenses, my pension check covers all my fixed expenses plus an extra $150 left over. I figure that I will need a $1000 a month for beer, golf, dining, medical expenses, sporting events, beer, gas, beer and what ever is not covered as a fixed expense. :) ...

You may want to move beer into fixed expense:confused: (Where I personally think it belongs, anyway.)

Welcome to the forum!

- Hermit

Congrats! Since you were such a voracious saver in the past, I hope you
don't experience the difficulty in spending some of that hard earned
cash like I did when I first ERed.
Took 4 months before I started to adjust.

This has crossed my mind too, I'm aiming to bail out before Christmas. I have always saved money and I'm wondering if I can change my habits and spend it and live a little, in time I'm sure it will happen. I can't wait!

1. Volunteer at some local animal rescues.

2. I am attempting to complete all the bike rides in a book titled "50 Short Bike Rides in Connecticut".

3. Daily jog.

4. Exercise class at the YMCA.

5. Reading novels.

6. Many home projects to complete.

7. Work towards completing #Operation351. My lifelong goal is to attend a college basketball game at all 351 Division 1 campuses. I did 16 last year and started a blog to chronicle my travels

8. Traveling with my wife.

9. Complete binge watching Arrested Development, Cheers and Parks and Recreation.

10. Hiking the many beautiful trails in Connecticut.

11. I am the sole care provider for my 88 year old mother who lives 40 minutes away. I have many projects there as well.

12. Continue volunteering as a board member for the YMCA and local land trust.

And I'm just getting started....:dance:
Congrats Husky! Your list looks eerily similar to mine. Instead of your Operation 351 I am going to do an MLB stadium tour.
I plan to retire from IT at 57 this year also (November)...and I can't wait!

I am now officially free. Time for 9 holes and my first retirement Landshark.

Thanks everyone for their best wishes!

Hi Trooper good luck with Operation MLB. You have a much better chance than me to completing your goal. I figure that I will be in my late 70s in order to complete my quest.
I am fortunate that Alaska does not have a DI college team but Hawaii does which does give me an excuse to go back there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom