Join Early Retirement Today

I agree with you, but I'm lucky.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

I agree with you, but I'm lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Yesterday started off with a very nice day. It wasn't until lunch, when I received some negative correspondence from my former company, that things got very stressful. It seems that even when you leave a company, there are still lingering details and issues which can weigh on you just as much as when you worked there. I ended up taking some sleeping pills and slept for 12 hours trying to forget about it. It's occurirng to me that I may not be able to truly decompress and consider myself removed from the company for some period of time. I know others have said it can take months. I'm hoping my separation will be sooner than that.
I have referred my 20 years friend, the same business function, as my replacement & prepared overview processes with hands on training 2 weeks together before I left. Still some impact occurs while detaching from work. Wish you good luck.
leongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #22

Congratulations! I know the feeling about the follow-up details from leaving work, but don't ignore them. I almost missed a critical deadline for some paperwork to be submitted soon after I ER'd by putting it off because I didn't want to deal with it.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats are in order! You have severed the ties with the corp, don't let their little stuff bring you down!
Mike
mtheulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi everyone. I just realized it's been over five months since I quit my job, so I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on how life has been since leaving the craziness.

Everyone told me I'd be bored if I wasn't working full time, and after a few weeks I'd be going crazy looking for things to do and hoping to find full time work again. Well, I did end up accepting a part time position with another company after the first few weeks. However, it's more of a consulting position, where I work exclusively from home, about 2-3 hours per day. I have no daily responsibilities, no people reporting to me, and no requirement to ever go into the office. And I never wear anything but shorts and a t-shirt the entire day. But I do find that having 2-3 hours of things to do is the perfect thing to keep my mind sharp without creating any stress in my life. And the income is enough to keep me from having to dip into my savings.

More importantly, I have permanently turned off the alarm clock, and put away all the dress clothes deep within the closet. I get up when I feel like it. I get some great exercise first thing in the morning, then come back and drink my coffee, read the entire newspaper front to back, and enjoy some breakfast. I purchased a membership in a local resort hotel which gives me access to their pool and spa, along with one massage each month. The spa has a hot tub, sauna and steam room. That alone seems to make about two hours of my day disappear.

I've also been riding my bicycle almost everywhere I go. There are times when I go 3 or 4 days without ever getting into a car. I think last month I spent less than $50.00 on gas for the entire month!

So I guess that semi-retired life has really worked out great for me. I can't imagine working full time any more. I certainly have no desire to have to go into an office every day and keep to someone else's schedule. We'll see if this continues, but for now, I'm loving life more than I ever have. I have not had any regrets about leaving my job for even a moment. I can't believe I waited this long to do so. Each day I feel so fortunate to have the luxury of time to do whatever I want.

And most importantly, thanks to all of you who encouraged me and assured me that I made the right decision in May. I have really learned a lot from all of you, and I'm sure I would have made different decisions had it not been for all of your support.

For those of you thinking about retiring early, I can't even begin to express how liberating and enjoyable it can be. And I'm someone who has always needed to keep busy, and always worried that I would be bored. Who knew!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What a delightful post, Ready! Clearly, your name fits!

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the update and congrats on finding what sounds like a great part-time job so you can semi-retire. I'm definitely looking forward to semi-retirement myself, more than full retirement, but I'm also young (38).

So any other updates? Since DOMA passed are there wedding bells in the future? What state do you live in?
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #28

Hi Ready ! You're semi-retriement sounds pretty ideal Thank you for the update. Congratuations !!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #29

Congrats on the great life that you are living. It is nice to hear successful stories!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
Thanks for the update and congrats on finding what sounds like a great part-time job so you can semi-retire. I'm definitely looking forward to semi-retirement myself, more than full retirement, but I'm also young (38).

So any other updates? Since DOMA passed are there wedding bells in the future? What state do you live in?
The repeal of DOMA has certainly given us a lot to think about. But, after eighteen years of not having it as an option, we've just gotten used to not being married. And, as I look at the marriage penalty associated with having two incomes reporting taxes as a combined return, I just don't see much benefit at this point. So, we're just taking our time and giving it lots of thought.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #32

Congratulations and thank you for the update.

It is always good to hear this kind of good news.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Great update. Congrats!

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
However, in the past six months I've read multiple books on retiring, investing, and living a simple life.
Congrats Ready! I would be interested in the name(s) of the books you have read, especially about the simple life. Trying to convince my darling wife it CAN be done :-)
Trooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Congrats Ready! I would be interested in the name(s) of the books you have read, especially about the simple life. Trying to convince my darling wife it CAN be done :-)
Hi Trooper,

Here are the books I read in the past year to prepare for retirement:

Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
Millburn, Joshua Fields, Nicodemus, Ryan

The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life
Jay, Francine

Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Revised and Updated for the 21st Century
Robin, Vicki, Dominguez, Joe

How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free: Retirement Wisdom That You Won't Get from Your Financial Advisor
Zelinski, Ernie

How to Retire the Cheapskate Way: The Ultimate Cheapskate's Guide to a Better, Earlier, Happier Retirement
Yeager, Jeff

Bond Investing For Dummies, 2nd Edition
Wild, Russell

Common Sense on Mutual Funds
Bogle, John C.

Mutual Funds For Dummies
Tyson, Eric

Investing For Dummies
Tyson, Eric

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology, Headley, Marc

For general simplifying and decluttering, the Francine Jay book is great. For planning for retirement, the Ernie Zelinski book is very popular. And for pure entertainment value, I threw in the book on Scientology, but I don't think that will help you prepare for retirement. Hope this helps!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #36

Thanks Ready. Time for me to use up that Amazon gift card.
Trooper is online now   Reply With Quote