Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I Finally Joined My favorite forum
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I Finally Joined My favorite forum

Hi everybody. Have enjoyed this forum for about 2 years, and finally decided to join in with "like minded souls". DW (age 43) and I (age 42)have always been saving for something since we've been married. We paid off our house 4 years ago and celebrated by taking a 3 month leave of absence from work prison. Was the best summer ever. Had a taste of the good life. We have now set our goals to run to the ER finish line. We are saving as much as we can (yet still play) and plan to retire when my DW reaches age 55. She will quilify for early retirement benefits from her company. By then, we plan to have about 1 1/2 to 2 million saved in 401k's and personal savings/investments. That should be more than enough to live on for the rest of our life at a 4% withdrawel rate. We currently live on 36K/yr, so 80k+12k (pension)/yr should be ok at age 55.

All be it an emotional security blanket, paying off our house was the most liberating thing we have ever done. I know that it has been an ongoing topic on this forum, but for us, we see debt as a ball and chain.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome

Glad that you finally delurked. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Given the money have saved, can you retire before your DW?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like you've been here a while,just never had much to say on any given topic?You will get all the advice you need here just ask away as some of the members really know their stuff..Welcome.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
All be it an emotional security blanket, paying off our house was the most liberating thing we have ever done. I know that it has been an ongoing topic on this forum, but for us, we see debt as a ball and chain.
DAYDREAMER, it good to see you come out in the open

A security blanket can be very comforting -- I understand your viewpoint. Some decisions can have two right choices!

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
welcome
Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

welcome

Welcome to the forum.

Piano

Musician and Writer

piano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Hi and welcome

Glad that you finally delurked. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Given the money have saved, can you retire before your DW?

I could retire before DW reaches 55, but wouldn't be fair to her. She wants retirement just as much as me. We are a team, and as long as she has to get up every morning, I will too. Her company percs (pension/health care) are too good to ignore, so we decided to make her 55th birthday our official Retirement day. Oh what a wonderful birthday that will be!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote