I gave my notice!

madeit!

Dryer sheet aficionado
Having lurked on this board for several years, I am now coming out of the closet and announcing that I gave my employer of 24 years notice that I will retire at the end of August. Using my accrued vacation will let me actually leave at the end of July.
I am 55, my wife is 53, I have a 24 y.o. daughter in grad school and a 20 y.o. son in undergraduate.
We bought a new RV and will travel out west to visit friends and relatives for a month or so after FIRE day. We plan to spend at least half the year touring the back roads and lesser know parks of the U.S., Canada and Mexico. I am working to set up a website to cronicle our travels.
I was going to wait until the end of the year so I could collect my annual bonus - but to hell with the stupid bonus - I am going now! The planets are aligned and I have my numbers!

Congratulations!

Freedom is in sight and you will soon be on your way to living the rest of your life without the stress of work. Happy RVing!

Congrats! Yeah the bonus thing can keep you coming back year after year if your not careful.

Your plans to travel via an rv is very popular these days. Let us know the name of your website when you start your adventure. Good luck!  :)

Cool! You had a decked out truck camper, didn't you? With satellite internet?

Enjoy your journeys.

Congrat - don't be a lurker any more

Martha said:
Cool!  You had a decked out truck camper, didn't you?  With satellite internet? 

Enjoy your journeys. 
That is right, although the internet connection is still being worked on - 
img_389444_0_f5f60d03300c0608c7f388437cb03977.jpg
here's a photo of the truck on Cape Hatteras a few weeks ago.

Lovely picture of the sunrise. You carry anything on that rack on top? If so, how do you get it up there? I would like to be able to carry the kayak on top of the MH, but would need some sort of lift system to get it on and off with any ease.

Martha said:
I would like to be able to carry the kayak on top of the MH, but would need some sort of lift system to get it on and off with any ease.

Martha,

"Larry" on the LifeWithALazyDazeRV yahoo group had built a lift system for the kayak.  You might want to check it out.  Here's a message from him describing it.

Sam

Msg # 16850
Date: 2002-10-29 08:08:00
Subject: Re: kayak rack
Sender: lw5315us

Sally

The kayak rack is a home brewed design. The side mounts to the walls
were built according to Lazy Dazes suggestions. Ed actually drew a
picture of how he wanted it built. This way there is no weight
carried on the roof, only the walls. Ed was very much opposed to
increasing the roof loading. He said that drilling through the roof
would eventually cause damage since the roof does not have the proper
internal re-enforcement's to support the extra weight.
Occasional walking on the roof is OK. I have marked the location of
the internal framing on the roof so I can always step on a
crossmember.

We have uses the rack for eight years, carrying two 17-foot Necky Sea
kayaks (about 50-55 lbs. ea.). We use the kayaks as cargo pods on our
trips to British Columbia. The racks have easily supported 300+
without any damage to the rack or motorhome. The racks are presently
on my garage floor, being refitted for the new LD due to arrive soon.
The new version will have the crane assembly fold down to prevent
damage to the cover that we will be using during storage

I attempted to lift the boats by myself and could not do it. My
wife, being a very small person, was not able to help me in the
lifting process. The movable cranes make it easy and safe to load and
unload the boats with one person. The operation takes less than ten
minutes and usually attracts an audience.

If you are handy, the racks can be homebuilt and the parts are
readily available. If you would like more information, please contact
me at lrrw at earthlink dot net.

Larry

madeit! said:
I have a 24 y.o. daughter in grad school and a 20 y.o. son in undergraduate. 

Congratulations.

I will be in a similar situation in a few years.  One of the unresolved issue is health insurance for a son who might still be in grad school.  How do you handle it?

Thanks,
Sam

Sam said:
Congratulations.

I will be in a similar situation in a few years.  One of the unresolved issue is health insurance for a son who might still be in grad school.  How do you handle it?

Thanks,
Sam

My daughter is being put through MIT graduate school courtesy of the US Navy who takes care of her health insurance. As for my spouse, myself and our son, we are moving to a Blue Cross /Blue Shield HSA high deductible plan. Your son should be easy if he is healthy. 20 something men are in the lowest rate category. A separate plan just for my son was only about $ 100 per month. You can get a quote online from the BC/BS website.

Martha said:
Lovely picture of the sunrise.  You carry anything on that rack on top?  If so, how do you get it up there?  I would like to be able to carry the kayak on top of the MH, but would need some sort of lift system to get it on and off with any ease.

I am going to attach a Yakima cargo box to the rack to carry items that we do not have to get to everyday. I would hate to try to get a kayak up there. With the box, I require 12 feet 6 inches of overhead clearance, something to be aware of as you bop on down the road.

Congratulations Madeit! I also gave my notice this year at 55. I'm also looking forward to my last day which will be June 16th. Sounds like your travel plans will be exciting.

madeit! said:
We bought a new RV and will travel out west to visit friends and relatives for a month or so after FIRE day.  We plan to spend at least half the year touring the back roads and lesser know parks of the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

This is my plan also. I have several blogs that I follow from people who are doing just that. On particularly bad work days, reading them gives me hope

Thanks for posting your plans and don't forget to add your website.

Judy

Martha said:
If so, how do you get it up there?  I would like to be able to carry the kayak on top of the MH, but would need some sort of lift system to get it on and off with any ease.

Oh. I forgot to tell you there is a ladder to the roof.
img_389563_0_dd077b96706a5cca2f10baae2808c1bb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom