Join Early Retirement Today

I have arrived...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

I have arrived...

Hello all,

Unfortunately, I haven't arrived at ER yet, but rather to this interesting forum, which looks to be an interesting stopping point.

After lurking for a couple of months and reading many threads (old and current), I decided to join in on the fun and planning.

I am 37, married with two wonderful children, and live in the midwest.* I have a comfortable job in the IT business as a contractor and my wife, after an 8yr hiatus, is starting back to work as a Speech Therapist, though not full-time yet.

My work is not bad, as it pays well, is not high stress, and does not require lots of overtime (at least I get paid for it).* However, it is becoming boring and my interest in computers is waning.* As I get older, I am finding myself more interested in home projects, fixing things and working with my hands more.

I want to ER not because I hate work, but I would like the flexibility to change careers and just have more freedom.

Right now we are living below our means with a conservative mortgage (1x salary) that will be paid off by 50 and have no consumer debt.* In addition we put away about 30% of our gross pay, including 401K, and additional savings.*

We have accumulated almost 200K in retirement savings/investments and have good equity in the house we have lived in for 10yrs.* I don't generally count it because you gotta live somewhere, but it's nice to think of that as a potential cushion if necessary.

I am trying to get to partial retirement by 51.* My wife thinks she would want to continue working (time will tell), but I would like to go to about 40-50% time.* We are both fortunate that it is possible for my wife to work part time at her same (or even better) pay rate and I could take short term contracts to achieve the same goal.

This is getting long winded...

To sum up, I am looking forward to chatting with Forum members about ER.* I know I have lots of questions and I might even have some decent answers.*

If you have read this far, thanks for slogging through my overly-verbose prose!

I guess I need to get a zippy signature/quote.* I'll work on it.*

Afterthought:* I find it interesting I am dishing out personal information to people I don't know that I would not tell a close friend!* Strange...

Best of Luck to everybody here!

Pathfinder
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I have arrived...
Old 06-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the jungle

Quote:
Afterthought: I find it interesting I am dishing out personal information to people I don't know that I would not tell a close friend! Strange...
Don't worry about it. I think we have a few dogs that post from time to time.

Quote:
To sum up, I am looking forward to chatting with Forum members about ER. I know I have lots of questions and I might even have some decent answers.
Post away
Old 06-23-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I might be a dog.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:22 PM   #4

Yeah TH I hear you can train those German Sheps to learn just about anything or you are TH right?

Anyway I don't want to be ass and get this thread off topic. Back to you Pathfinder.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Woof! Woof Woof Woof...

Whoops...I mean...of course, lets not take this thread off its original uh...path...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #6

Pathfinder,

It's good to plan for ER when you are still young. It sounds like you are doing the right things, i.e., saving and not having a lot of debts. Computer can be boring after awhile. I guess it does not hurt to find something else that might be more interesting.

Anyway, have you determined how much money will you need for retirement? There are many calculators to identify if you are on the right track based on projected expenses, inflation, investment return, number of years of retirement, and so on.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm not sure there really was a path, just an introduction! Woof

Spanky,

I've got several models I built in a spreadsheet charting 1) expected returns, 2) expected savings year by year, 3) expected average inflation, and expenses by category, all indexed in today's dollars. I play around with these numbers almost obsessively - its fun to play 'what if?'

I can't pin it down to a number because I don't yet know what I (nor my wife) want. I do try to figure a baseline of

3.5% average inflation
4% distributions (I think ya'll have a Abbr. for this but I don't remember it)
35K savings (401Ks, Roth, Cash) per year until my children's college then drastically reduced during that period
7% net returns over that period (37-51).

If I can do that, then I will not have enough to retire in the style I want, but will have the flexibility to push into part time and just let my money work for me while I contribute little at that point.

I want to work hard for my money now, so it works hard for me later.

I'd like to move out into the boonies and live very simply, but I'd also like to travel some and I could easily have tons of hobbies and then we'd be isolated from family which, in our case, is a bad thing.

I'm always looking for interesting suggestions especially different thinking about how to approach this. I've seen some good lateral thinkers on this board and their in put would be appreciated and valued, if not always taken.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder
I play around with these numbers almost obsessively - its fun to play 'what if?'
Yay. Another obsessive spreadsheet fiddler-arounder-with. Isn't that a requirement for posting on this board??
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's a spreadsheet?

kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
What's a spreadsheet?
Think of it as a large dryer sheet with numbers...

REW
Old 06-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Spread sheets, fiddle around. Sounds familiar...
Old 06-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #12

Pathfinder,

Based on the limited info: saving of 200K, 35K annual saving, 7% return, age 37, the value of your portfolio at age 51 will be 1,492,888. A 4% withdrawl is 59,715.53 or $38,328.79 in today's dollar. Is that enough to support your life style? If not, you might need to work longer or take on more aggressive investment to achieve a higer potential return.

Spanky

Old 06-26-2005, 12:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Spread sheets, fiddle around.* Sounds familiar...
I'm afraid that version will NEVER raise your net worth.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Doing absolutely nothing - just standing there per Bogle's intstructions worked wonders for my net worth.

Yea Yea - I know - being male - I still gotta putz with some individual stocks. And yes I actually did put them on a spreadsheet once or twice. I think it's around somewhere on the stepdaugher in spare room's old computer.

Pssst - Vanguard Target Retirement Series - shut off the computer - enjoy kids/family - take them fishing. Set up auto DCA - keep it simple.

Unclemick's Sunday Sermon - and no collection plate will be passed - this time.

Heh, heh, heh.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Doing absolutely nothing - just standing there per Bogle's intstructions worked wonders for my net worth.

Yea Yea - I know - being male - I still gotta putz with some individual stocks. And yes I actually did put them on a spreadsheet once or twice. I think it's around somewhere on the stepdaugher in spare room's old computer.

Pssst - Vanguard Target Retirement Series - shut off the computer - enjoy kids/family - take them fishing. Set up auto DCA - keep it simple.

Unclemick's Sunday Sermon - and no collection plate will be passed - this time.

Heh, heh, heh.
UncleMick: Good sermon. Have about an hour before I go to church. (8:30 Tee-Off time).

We pass the collection plate after all the teams are in
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm afraid that version will NEVER raise your net worth.
You had to use the word 'raise', didnt you...
Old 06-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
You had to use the word 'raise', didnt you...
I knew that would get a rise, so to speak!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote