I have decided at a date...

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Due to the way our retirement system figures benefits, I need to quit and receive my severance package as late in the year as possible.
So after reviewing the application, rules and regs, I have marked our calendar.
10/15/2022 I will submit my application for retirement
12/16/2022 will be my last shift to work
12/24/2022 MERRY XMAS.... my last paycheck + severance about $10K
2/25/2023 should receive my 1st check.
This will conclude 35 years of service to the people of our county.

Congratulations, and thank you for your service!

Congrats and glad you made it to here.

That is great and freedom is indescribable. Thank you also and hope you hang around here and become a locale.

Sounds like a plan... and a well thought-out plan at that!

Why the ~2 month delay between your last day of work and first pension check?

Congrats on making the plan and you can now spend 2021 looking forward to your retirement near year-end.

How wonderful. You have so much to forward to and it will be here before you know it. Pretty impressive that you have so many years under your belt at the same job!

Sounds like a plan... and a well thought-out plan at that!
Why the ~2 month delay between your last day of work and first pension check?

Lots of thought for sure....
There are several factors...
1st.... I need to get my severance package paid before the end of the calendar year for it to be added to my overall earnings to be averaged into my benefit numbers.
2nd... is that you can only "retire" on the 1st day of the month.
My application must be submitted between 60 and 120 days prior to my retirement date. I picked 2/1 over 1/1 which gives them more than a month to review instead of 7 days during the Xmas- news holiday to get the paper work done.
My 1st payment is a mailed check, that when deposited is like signing a contract accepting the terms, and then will be direct deposited.

Its funny as hell that I can go back part time after 30 days, and actually get a paycheck before my retirement check....

Congratulations on setting the final date, that makes work time a little bit easier--at least it did for me!

Well so much for plans...
My last post was the 29th in the morning...
That afternoon was trimming a tree over our house and fell 28 ft.
I'm the luckiest SOB around thats for sure. massive bruising on my wholem right side but
nothing broke. I'm sure my ER bill will max out my deductible for 2020 + 20%
Will be out of work until the 29Th at least...

Ouch! Glad you're mostly OK...yep, you're pretty lucky to be able to walk (or limp) away from a fall like that! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Wow, glad you are OK
Hope you heal quickly.

Glad all turned out well. I think if I were you, I would retire as soon as you can thou.

My MegaCorp benefits started over on January 1st of the calendar year. If there was not a generous termination package, I'd be waiting until January the second to retire. That would buy me another 5 weeks' vacation to get paid for. And i wouldn't have taken vacation in the year prior to retirement either.

But I understand some companies and government employees accrue vacation and sick leave month by month. When my father got ready to retire, he took every other day off from September until January. And he was paid for unused sick leave--40 years of it.

Wow you are lucky. Glad nothing is broke and your head is ok. I told my part spider monkey husband no more heights or roofs now that we are retired. Many men don’t recover from a fall late in life.

Be well. The next year will fly by.

Well got the bill... It hurts worse than the fall....
Counting lost wages from work, its costing me 3 times the estimate I got...
Plus I got to still climb back up and finish.
Scheduled to got back to work this coming Friday night.

Well so much for plans...
My last post was the 29th in the morning...
That afternoon was trimming a tree over our house and fell 28 ft.
I'm the luckiest SOB around thats for sure. massive bruising on my wholem right side but
nothing broke. I'm sure my ER bill will max out my deductible for 2020 + 20%
Will be out of work until the 29Th at least...

Holy cow, old medic! 28 feet?? You are SO lucky that you didn't get more badly hurt! Keeping my fingers crossed that you are ok!

Whoops...Edited to add: I didn't read your last post! Sorry about the forced "vacation" - and you be careful when you climb back up there - or better yet, hire someone else to do it this time!

Thanks Cindy... what adds to it was we had a camping trip planned this coming weekend and already had the time scheduled off. Being the nice guy i am I cancelled the trip.
Funny thing about hiring someone... The guy I got an estimate from was the same tree man that I worked for, and taught me the ropes....

Thanks Cindy... what adds to it was we had a camping trip planned this coming weekend and already had the time scheduled off. Being the nice guy i am I cancelled the trip.
Funny thing about hiring someone... The guy I got an estimate from was the same tree man that I worked for, and taught me the ropes....

The hardest part about working with that guy will be having to listen to him chastise you about your fall :LOL:

YIPPIEEEEEE , only 100 more shifts to go!!!! Well unless I pick up some extras... and I have been. Hoping for at least 1 per pay period... and only 15 more of them to go...
And I have moved my official retirement date up to 1/1/2022, but 12/16/21 is still my last shift..... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Back
Top Bottom