Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Just curious: would you have preferred that they not tell you, only to develop vision problems later, and learning that the cataracts had been present for many years (but they didn't think you "needed to know")?

But, yes, I would wait until my vision diminished to the point of interfering with daily activities. If nothing else, the technology will have progressed that much more.
Yes, I think I would rather that they hadn't told me - something that is 10 or 20 years down the road, I will worry about that closer to the time. Tell me something that's going to affect me in the next 5 years - OR by all means if there's anything that I could do do slow the progression - but knowing about it so far in advance, with no way to change it....there's just a little niggle of worry in the background that I could do without! JMO!
nanannjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannjen View Post
Yes, I think I would rather that they hadn't told me - something that is 10 or 20 years down the road, I will worry about that closer to the time. Tell me something that's going to affect me in the next 5 years - OR by all means if there's anything that I could do do slow the progression - but knowing about it so far in advance, with no way to change it....there's just a little niggle of worry in the background that I could do without! JMO!
I totally understand. Without further comment, I'll post a poll - curious to see how others react to this, just for fun. Thanks for sharing your view on this.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Does anyone know what a TECHNIS lens implant is? I was watching a video and it was mentioned.
jhammock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jhammock
I had cataracts removed a year ago. Paid the premium for multi-focal lens--Rezoom in primary eye for distance and Restor for other eye for near-mid images.
There is a lot on the web to help educate yourself. As always the skill and qualities of your practionier is important. Before my doc would agree to multi-focals for me I had to complete a survey about attitudes for dealing with things. If you are a current successful contact wearer, you are already accustomed to most of the compromises. The Doc also made sure my pupils were not too large and my stigmatism was not too severe.
The most annoying part of the process was going without contacts for nearly a month to allow my eyes to "return" to their natual state so the Doc could be sure he had an accurate measurement.
I asked the doc to recheck my presciption after the first lens was implanted so we could be sure the remaining lens would be properly selected. This exam led to the Restor choice and a different correction in the remaining lens. Had to wait an extra week for the surgery but no biggee.
My combination pretty much allows me to be completely liberated from glasses. About the only challenge I have had is that it is really hard to read text that is behind a reflective surface (think exhibits at a museum). I have had no night driving issues and, in fact, any halos are much less than when I wore contacts.
As with all surgeries, make sure your eye surgeon is experienced with multi-focal implants as placement in the eye capsule is apparantly the key to success.
Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammock View Post
I had a checkup with the dr. last Wednesday. I just thought I needed a new prescription. I have been wearing the multi-focal contacts. I am EXTREMELY nearsighted without any correction. My dr told me that I had cataracts in both eyes. I left the dr's office in tears. Anyone had similar experiences and can you give me any suggestions?
My wife had cataract surgery in both eyes, at age 28. Yes, 28, and with none of the typical risk factors mentioned earlier. The unfortunate part is back in 1984 the doctors refused to do implants on a person so young because they were not sure how that would work for a person that would have implants for 50 or 60 years.

Consequently, my wife had what I think was called a lensectomy which basically meant they removed the lens and all the tissue that would be needed to support an implant. She can never get implants now. She has to wear special contact lens, one for close vision, the other for distance. When she removes her lenses each night for cleaning, she has to wear those frog eye lens glasses.

No need for tears, some have it much worse.
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
My wife had cataract surgery in both eyes, at age 28. Yes, 28, and with none of the typical risk factors mentioned earlier. The unfortunate part is back in 1984 the doctors refused to do implants on a person so young because they were not sure how that would work for a person that would have implants for 50 or 60 years.

Consequently, my wife had what I think was called a lensectomy which basically meant they removed the lens and all the tissue that would be needed to support an implant. She can never get implants now. She has to wear special contact lens, one for close vision, the other for distance. When she removes her lenses each night for cleaning, she has to wear those frog eye lens glasses.

Boy, how stupid can a doctor be

Say that he did the implant... and in 50 or 60 years she had a problem (now 78 to 88 yo).... they THEN could do what he did and take the whole thing out...

I wonder what some of these people think....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Say that he did the implant... and in 50 or 60 years she had a problem (now 78 to 88 yo).... they THEN could do what he did and take the whole thing out...

If the doctor hadn't removed the clouded lens with the cataract back then, wouldn't she have basically been blind for years, until the lens hardened enough to be removed with the normal procedure?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Thomas A. Weingeist, PhD, MD - Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, U I Health Care

The Doctor that we consulted with and that did the surgery is not stupid. He is the head of the Opthalmology department at the U of I and very well known. I wish my wife had not developed cataracts until in her 50s which she is now. Her life would be much simpler. We have to take to bad with the good, so we are thankful for what we have.
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
If the doctor hadn't removed the clouded lens with the cataract back then, wouldn't she have basically been blind for years, until the lens hardened enough to be removed with the normal procedure?

The options were (IMO):

#1 Leave it as is and she be blind..

#2 Do a normal operation and insert in a lens like they do with 'old' people...

#3 Do what was done and make it impossible to have lenses inserted for life...

What was done was #3... you gave option #1... I am saying do #2 and IF complications occured 40, 50 or 60 years down the line then do option #3
Old 07-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thomas A. Weingeist, PhD, MD - Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, U I Health Care

The Doctor that we consulted with and that did the surgery is not stupid. He is the head of the Opthalmology department at the U of I and very well known. I wish my wife had not developed cataracts until in her 50s which she is now. Her life would be much simpler. We have to take to bad with the good, so we are thankful for what we have.

Doing what was done and basically causing your wife to live without any possiblity of having something to fix later is life just because it was ...

Quote:
"The unfortunate part is back in 1984 the doctors refused to do implants on a person so young because they were not sure how that would work for a person that would have implants for 50 or 60 years.".
not done on a young person... so it was a decision made to not do it... not that it could not be done... a big distinction...

What would they do today? I do not know... maybe you do not either... but I would not accept someone saying 'we do not know, so we will do something much worse now' just does not cut it for me...

Back in '84, maybe I would not feel the same way... I have learned that there are a lot of doctors who are not that great... my sister is a nurse and I have heard many horror stories of patients almost being killed (or actually being killed) because of the mistake of a doctor... even well known doctors...
Old 07-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #31

Quote:
The options were (IMO):

What was done was #3... you gave option #1... I am saying do #2 and IF complications occured 40, 50 or 60 years down the line then do option #3
What I meant was that they had to remove the lens with the cataract. It's my understanding that because the lens in a young person is still very soft (that's why a young person has the ability to accomodate), they couldn't remove it without taking out the supporting tissue like they can today. So #2 probably wasn't an option for a young person back then.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The options were (IMO):

Tex, these can be very complex decisions dealing with current vision, future vision loss, technical issues such as scar tissue formation, long-term risks and benefits for different types of lenses and unforeseen technical advances in the future. I know next to nothing about all the technicalities of cataract surgery, let alone decades ago.

I don't think any of us can make simple judgments about what was done. In my experience it's a pretty safe bet that the surgeon did what he thought was best for the patient given the information and technology available.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I wear hard contacts (gas perms), one for distance, one for close vision, and have coke-bottle glasses to wear when I take them out; I'm of course so happy that my vision can be corrected by them. Opthalmologist told me I'm not a candidate for Lasik as I'm so nearsighted, but maybe if/when I get diagnosed with cataracts they can slip in corrective lenses. Or maybe not. Oh well.

You have a great attitude--"no need for tears."
Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
What I meant was that they had to remove the lens with the cataract. It's my understanding that because the lens in a young person is still very soft (that's why a young person has the ability to accomodate), they couldn't remove it without taking out the supporting tissue like they can today. So #2 probably wasn't an option for a young person back then.
You could be right.... but I am responding to what was written... that they would not do the operation because they did not know what would happen many years later... if it was said and written... she is to young, there is NO way we can remove the cataract without removing the lens... I would have a different opinion..

Rich... think prostate operation... way back when they just hacked it out and the man was impotent... just because that was the way it was... and lots of men accepted that because the doctor said so...

but someone decided that some men still wanted sex and found a way around that problem... I do not know when it became 'known' that you could do the operation without the negative side effects... but my point would be... give ME the options and the reason why something is not as good as something else... I will decide...

Another example... a top notch eye surgeon that has wrote books on how to do lasik surgery was the guy I went to see... he said I was not a candidate.. so I asked about the insertable contacts... he said he could do blah blah blah.... and I was scheduling a time to get an operation... then I found out that he wanted to remove my lenses NOW and basically give me cataract surgery... not what I had requested... he had used the term 'clear lens replacement'... if I had not looked up what he was going to do I would be sitting here with no way of reversing what he did... now, it might have worked out just fine... but I was not told the truth of what was planned... I will not ever go to him again... because I do not trust him... he just wanted to do something to me...

The guy I currently go to said he has about the same vision I have, about the same age... and would never consider having a clear lens replacement done.... or recommending it be done to someone... so I call the first doctor 'stupid'... not the correct term because he is not stupid at all... just a stupid decision....