I might be retired now...

Brian_W

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello, I'm Brian and I live in the Phoenix area. I joined early-retirment.org about 3 years ago to start learning more about early retirement as my wife and I approached some key milestones in our life such as turning 50, paying off our house, and sending the kids off to college. However, I was laid-off from my job as a Software Architect 6 weeks ago. I technically "retired" from my employer because I had 29 years of service and was retirement-eligible, but it doesn't come with any significant benefits like a pension or subsidized healthcare. I did get a nice severance, but it would've been the same if I hadn't been retirement-eligible.

I am 54 and my wife is 53 and we've been tossing around the idea of early retirement for a couple years, playing with retirement calculators, and just trying to understand the logistics of early retirement. Our loose plan was to retire in 2027, but now we are taking a much closer look.

Here is the data:

Net worth of approximately $4M.

Assets:
- Tax-deferred IRA/401K: $1450K
- Roth IRA/401k: $70K
- Non-qualified Investments: $800K
- HSA: $30K
- Cash: $490K
- Primary residence: $645K
- Rental house: $575K
- Farmland: $45K

Liabilities/Debt:
- None/$0

Current Income
- $50K/year from wife's home business. She want's to work until 60.
- $7K/year in dividends

Children:
- 21-year-old grad student we expect to support through 2024. Has full scholarship covering tuition and room&board.
- 19-year-old college freshman we expect to support through 2026. Has partial scholarship and we're paying about $10K/year

Current Expenses:
- About $65K/year, not including expenses for the 2 children.

Budget:
- Our goal for a retirement income is to cover our expenses and have a $20K travel budget, so about $85K net.

Other noteworthy details:
- When our kids move out, we plan to sell our primary home and move into the rental. The rental is smaller, single-story, and lacks a swimming pool, so lower utilities/maintenance/taxes/insurance will drop expenses by over $4K/year. The proceeds from the primary residence should be around $550K and would be immediately invested into taxable accounts.

- Lack of passive income is a perfect storm right now. Dividend income was $17K/yr until March when my largest dividend investment cut the dividend by 70%. Farm rental income is normally around $2K/year but in 2020, I promised it to my 87-year-old uncle (and farm co-owner) until he dies. We're not receiving rent from our rental house because we started a remodel recently to get it how we want it (or more accurately, how she wants it ;) ) when we move in.

- I now have penalty-free access to about $1M in my 401(k) because I was terminated in the calendar year I turn 55.

We met with our CFP at Fidelity and we're good for a $120K/year gross income. Firecalc says the same with 100% success. However, health care is not fully factored into our expenses. We've had health insurance through my employer with no monthly premiums for 27 years and we use it a lot. We hit the $6K deductible on my employer's HDHP every year and I expect we would still reach it every year with a $15K deductible. I have free COBRA until April 2024 and I can extend for 6 more months for $2100/month. After that, we're on our own. My employer offers a retiree health care plan that is identical to the plan we have now. It's $2550/month for my wife and I (plus $1250/month more to add the kids). I checked Healthcare.gov a couple weeks ago and the costs also seem unreasonably high. I need to get health care figured out. Am I really looking at spending $300K-$400K on health insurance over the next 10 years before Medicare eligibility? The retirement picture isn't quite as rosy if we need $160K/year gross for the first 10 years.

A voice in the back of my head says I need to go back to work, but I'm trying not to get into the one-more-year mindset, although I wouldn't mind finding a job that I really love and working for 3 or 4 more years as was the original plan. I just don't want to turn into my dad, who kept working while drawing Social Security because he needed the money (which is mostly true). He finally retired at 75 due to health reasons, then was barely mobile afterward. He passed almost 6 years after retiring and never got to do any of the things he planned to do in retirement.

I'm from rural western Missouri and my wife is from Stuttgart, Germany and we've been married for 27 years. I do a lot of gardening and handyman type work for my neighbors for fun. It used to be a way to de-stress from engineering work. Together, my wife and I like to do outdoorsy stuff like hiking and camping. We also travel to Europe one or two times per year in the off-season to visit my wife's family & friends and try to vacation a week or so in some European city or country we've never been to.

Congrats. I say good by job.

If you can lower taxable income you might manage ACA subsidy for healthcare

Even if you have to add $30K/yr for insurance, with your desired budget and DW's income for now, it looks like you would still have a conservative WR, so I think you are good.

I agree even with healthcare costs you are good.
Also agree that if you can manage income then subsidy might help.
Finally, I don’t think you mention SS which will kick in eventually and help lower the amt you need from your investments.

I’d call it career and enjoy yourself if I were you.

Since your kids are in college why don't you move into the rental as soon as the remodel is complete? Put your main house on the market now. Then you should be very comfortable in your early retirement. :)

But even now with the way things currently are, I think you'll be fine. :cool:

I would keep the free COBRA through year end and then go on ACA. Your modest income in the future should qualify you for premium credits that will cover a big chunk of the cost. If you didn't use so much healthcare, it might be worth it to keep the free COBRA through next April, but then you would have two deductibles during the year - the COBRA and the ACA.

I think building that pile of $490K cash was expensive to your long term finances, but now you can spend it down. There are good short term investments, from money markets to short term bonds/funds that can get you 4-5% on that money, make sure it is working for you.

You have a misperception about dividends, they are not "passive income". They are the company divesting itself of part of its value, handing that bit to you and making you pay taxes on it, once they do that, they are worth less than before by the exact amount of the dividend. There are no studies to suggest they help vs. just investing in broad market funds. The fact that you have "a" big dividend producer that got cut suggests you are taking risk that can be diversified away by holding a Total Market or S&P 500 fund.

Note that to use the rule of 55, you have to leave the money in the company 401k. If you roll it to an IRA, you can use different procedure that I believe is more restrictive called a 72t.

Overall you look OK and you didn't even discuss Social Security benefits. Those will reduce your portfolio draw further.

Since your kids are in college why don't you move into the rental as soon as the remodel is complete?

They're both currently home for the summer and both will likely be home next summer, too. Older son should leave the nest permanently shortly after. Maybe the remodel will be done by then. :LOL:

I would keep the free COBRA through year end and then go on ACA. Your modest income in the future should qualify you for premium credits that will cover a big chunk of the cost. If you didn't use so much healthcare, it might be worth it to keep the free COBRA through next April, but then you would have two deductibles during the year - the COBRA and the ACA.

I will look at this more closely. Thanks!

I think building that pile of $490K cash was expensive to your long term finances, but now you can spend it down. There are good short term investments, from money markets to short term bonds/funds that can get you 4-5% on that money, make sure it is working for you.

Hopefully not as expensive as it sounds. Over $200K of the cash was "built" very recently (my severance plus a small-ish inheritance that my wife received) and all but $100K is currently earning 4.5%+ in SPAXX and FZDXX. Maybe I was wrong to call it "cash".

The fact that you have "a" big dividend producer that got cut suggests you are taking risk that can be diversified away by holding a Total Market or S&P 500 fund.

Yeah, totally agree, but it wasn't by choice. It was my former employer's stock and I had to keep a minimum in the employer's DRIP. I had to wait 30 days after termination, but I've initiated a transfer out of the employer stock plan account to my brokerage account.

Congratulations and welcome to retirement.
It is all about doing what you desire, so if you find a job that you want to do for the next few years, go for it.
Is your wife's home based job one that allows her to travel and do things with you in your retirement?
Is there a chance she will want to retire earlier if/when she sees you having fun?

Is your wife's home based job one that allows her to travel and do things with you in your retirement?

Yes, very much so. She resisted getting a "regular job" with higher pay just because of the flexibility she has.

Is there a chance she will want to retire earlier if/when she sees you having fun?

I'm gonna say it's more likely she'll want to retire later so she can continue to have more time away from me. LOL!

" Children:
- 21-year-old grad student we expect to support through 2024. Has full scholarship covering tuition and room&board.
- 19-year-old college freshman we expect to support through 2026. Has partial scholarship and we're paying about $10K/year

Current Expenses:
- About $65K/year, not including expenses for the 2 children."

The financial side of retirement is real, not theoretical. So, you have real child expenses through 2024 for 2, and one until 2026. Plus, those dates might extend for who-knows-what reasons. Whatever you decide, factor in those expenses!

You’re good to go in my view. Enjoy the ride!

If you haven’t already done so, start learning about the ACA. You can browse your state health plan (in some states they use the national plan, healthcare.gov). Some points to realize:

Your kids in college can stay on your plan until age 26.
There is no “cliff” until 2026. Until then, the max premiums can be is 8.5% of your MAGI, applicable the the second lowest cost silver plan.
After 2025, the cliff returns. If your income is less than 400% FPL, you’ll get a significant subsidy. I’m guessing by then you’ll have 0-1 dependents.
Think you can keep your MAGI under $78,000? Given that cash cushion you have, it should be easy to do.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but when I first saw the thread title, I was hearing Jeff Foxworthy in my head. "You might be a retiree if ..."

Sounds like a book that needs to be written! :D

If you haven’t already done so, start learning about the ACA. You can browse your state health plan (in some states they use the national plan, healthcare.gov). Some points to realize:

Your kids in college can stay on your plan until age 26.
There is no “cliff” until 2026. Until then, the max premiums can be is 8.5% of your MAGI, applicable the the second lowest cost silver plan.
After 2025, the cliff returns. If your income is less than 400% FPL, you’ll get a significant subsidy. I’m guessing by then you’ll have 0-1 dependents.
Think you can keep your MAGI under $78,000? Given that cash cushion you have, it should be easy to do.

+1 research ACA.
- The subsidies can make a huge difference.
- Have enough income to qualify for ACA at the low end. (ie stay out of medicaid)
- Research plans available in your area and verify that the providers you NEED are in the plan.

- Since you use significant medical services, look at the silver/gold plans & see which one is most economical given your medical cost history. We use very little medical services, so the Bronze works out well for us.
- You will want to find out that the Federal poverty level for a family of 4 is for the previous year (not the current taxable year). The cliff, when in effect, is at 400% of that level.
- Figure out how to meet your spending needs while keeping your adjusted MAGI (understand what is and isn't included - eg. HSA contributions are not) under that level. That will probably mean spending from taxable accounts first.

Planning for ER is way more fun than working. Good luck!

Last edited:
Take a year off. Understand the rule of 4%. Create an Investing Policy Statement. Mind your P's and Q's. Help others.

Enjoy!

Here is the data:
I stopped reading right there, you're good.
Me too! My net worth is half that much, though I am single. My self-employed work evaporated on me within the last 6 months, about 4 years earlier than I planned (I'm 66), so "I might be retired" too. I'm still figuring out my finances, but I think I'll be fine. Rental properties pay the mortgage and car loan. (And the car will be paid off in 3 years.) I think SS will more than cover my utilities, insurance, groceries, dining out, household expenses, etc. I have a chunk in my brokerage account that should throw off enough extra that I shouldn't need to draw it down. (This year half of it is in 5% tbills.)

If I can live comfortably in a high COL area, with a new car and a nice lakefront house, on half your net worth -- I suspect you'll be fine.

Remember to figure in taxes on your SocSec, depending on your annual income, once you and/or your spouse apply for it.

Hello, I'm Brian and I live in the Phoenix area.

Here is the data:

I checked Healthcare.gov a couple weeks ago and the costs also seem unreasonably high. I need to get health care figured out. Am I really looking at spending $300K-$400K on health insurance over the next 10 years before Medicare eligibility? The retirement picture isn't quite as rosy if we need $160K/year gross for the first 10 years.

My wife and I also live in the PHX area. I retired early at 50 (I am 56 now) with a net worth of about $2.6M when I was 50. We signed up on the Marketplace with an Bronze HSA that costs $11/month since we keep our AGI at $35K, so we'll be able to deduct $9,750 from our AGI. You can deduct $7,750 until each of you is 55, and then deduct $9.750. At a current income level of $57K, you can get a bronze plan for about $250/month. I used this site for estimates: (https://www.kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/)

You've got almost $1.29M in non-qualified assets and cash that you should access primarily for the next 5.5 years to get you to 59.5 years old. That should easily cover your $65K in expenses (not including your kids) during that period, and then you can access everything at 59.5 without any penalties.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

Besides the cost, my biggest concern regarding health care is getting a decent plan. Through my employer, we had a Cigna copay plan until around 2009, when the monthly premiums gave a clear cost advantage to switching to the Cigna HDHP. Around 2017, we switched to an Anthem Blue Cross HDHP because my employer dropped Cigna.

Neither Cigna nor Anthem were good to deal with in terms of billing and coverage, but we've heard a lot worse from our friends and neighbors. My wife is the one that uses almost all of the health care benefits, and for that reason, she's also the one that has dealt with the various billing and coverage problems, but now that she's going to be the one earning most of the income, I really don't want a change in health care coverage to be an additional burden on her and in the past there was only so much I could do to ease that burden. I guess I've got a lot of learning ahead of me.

We have about $4M in assets, & are doing great in retirement while living in Hawaii. Phoenix COL is about half, so you should go for it!

You sound like you are in good shape but heath care is your challenge. ACA is great but the deductibles are significant and monthly rates get large with more income. Take advantage of your COBRA while you figure out your health care costs. Enjoy your freedom.

With handyman skills, you have the perfect setup for part-time work wherever you go, if you need a little extra money.

The back of my envelope says you are good to retire. Perhaps "being retired" involuntarily is a blessing in disguise? It might have saved you from the one more year syndrome . . .
You have already identified your two biggest unknowns. Health care, and perhaps more than expected in kid related expenses. I was lucky to have good retiree health benefits. My kids cost more than expected, but most of that was voluntary.

With a year free COBRA you essentially have a year to figure out health care. And whether you like being retired. A year should be enough time to figure those things out.

I've often thought a summer house in Flagstaff, and a winter house in Chandler, might be ideal arrangement. But I do not have enough money for that. Perhaps you do?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom