I need help finding a plop loan

gcielec

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm about to retire from public school teaching in Ohio. I need a four month loan to pay off buying four years of public school teaching. I will receive a plop check of $80,000 from the retirement system 90 days after I retire. I need a loan of 42K. Anyone got any suggestions? My teacher credit union said no. My mortgage is under water.

Since the CU usually is the most leinient in lending, if they say no I think you will not get one....

Have you thought about CCs? They have high interest rates, but if you are going to pay it off in a few months it might be worth it to you.

Can you really afford to retire with an underwater mortgage and not having a liquid $42,000?

-ERD50

Can you really afford to retire with an underwater mortgage and not having a liquid $42,000?

-ERD50

It is according to how many years he (she?) worked.... heck, he could be getting close to 100% of his salary if he worked long enough...

I like Texas Proud's CC idea, but do you have any other assets that could be used as collateral?

Do you have anything in tax free accounts? I know when my DW had to purchase time before ER she used some 457 funds to keep the tax advantage. I would think that that option would be open to you if you have the funds in a 401, IRA, or 457. If not the CC option may be out there for you.

T-bird

If they have a COLA'd pension that exceeds their income needs (even with the mortgage) and have their health insurance situation under control, sure. Plenty of people have done this.

T-bird said:
Do you have anything in tax free accounts? I know when my DW had to purchase time before ER she used some 457 funds to keep the tax advantage. I would think that that option would be open to you if you have the funds in a 401, IRA, or 457. If not the CC option may be out there for you.

T-bird

This would be ideal, and even if you have the money liquid you may want to contribute the max to a retirement account and purchase part with that, for the tax benefits.

I'm a teacher as well, and purchasing years can be done from a tax free account (at least in my state) such as a 403b or 457.

Back
Top Bottom