Join Early Retirement Today

I suffered for so long
Old 03-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I suffered for so long

OK maybe it wasnt that bad, after all I am being paid, but I worked long, long, long past I needed to, and still could not bring myself to pull the trigger. I set financial goals, set an actual date in my mind, and just could not do it. I even visualized my telling them, and driving home on my last day, to make it more real and enticing, but still nothing. I finally decided I was stuck, that was the way I thought of myself. Not financially stuck, not stuck for any logical reason, but stuck in that I could not make a change and could not give up the paycheck.
Then lo and behold a miracle occurred. The company which has NEVER had a layoff or downsizing, but has been having trouble the past few years, offered a VERY generous early retirement package. About triple what I would have expected. A close friend, who knew I was "leaving" for years, thought I would turn it down. But though I may be crazy, I am not insane! I accepted it Still have about 2 more months to work, but family and friends say they see a difference in me already. I catch myself humming walking down the hallways. I have big smiles on my face by accident. Best of all is when I am in meetings and we talk about upcoming projects and tasks for next year, or even next quarter, and I realize I will not be a part of that. What a blessed feeling.

firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great story. Very happy for you.

mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #3

Good for you. It gets even better when you actually punch out for the last time. Congratulations.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #4

Congratulations!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #5

Packages are awesome, grats!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #6

Congratulations on getting just what you needed to join the ranks of the happily retired! Keep us posted.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We can all hope for such a generous package, congrats. I have 10 years to go, but the company may only have 5 years to go......so......
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excellent. I had a similar experience, though I was ready to go.

You'll love retirement.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Fantastic!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:39 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing better than a fantastic going away present. Congratulations!!
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #11

Sounds like a great way to pull the plug.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!! Sometimes good things come to those who wait...

Thanks for posting - it gives all of us still stuck in OMY a little hope!
Born2Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I love it! Brought a smile to my face, which is still stuck there!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #14

Congratulations!
Old 03-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #15

Great news! We needed a burst of happiness.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Congrats!!! Along with your humming and future projects, you can look forward to enjoying the last time you have to do ALL the distasteful parts of your job. I know when I did my last Corp meeting (with a handful of pompous “suits” I couldn’t stand), my last monthly report (well over 400), my last disciplinary action, and MANY other tasks/duties - it made me smile every time. And the last few weeks when something significant would come up, I’d gladly deal with it as best I could, knowing I wouldn’t have to face the outcome.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes a person who is ready needs a nudge. Better a positive one!
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. What is ironic is that while this got me to leave, and of course extra money is nice, I really would have been fine without it. So why couldn't I just leave on my own? One issue I always had is what I would tell people. We did not want to disclose to anyone that I could just quit and not work. But now I can be totally honest and explain I am living off the package. Again, not that I owe anyone an explanation, but it is just easier all around. As another poster mentioned, I am starting to realize what I will not face again. No more quarterly closes! (Also funny DW said to me you will not suffer anymore--which is what I titled this thread, and I don't think either of us used that term before.)
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:01 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewhen View Post
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. What is ironic is that while this got me to leave, and of course extra money is nice, I really would have been fine without it. So why couldn't I just leave on my own? One issue I always had is what I would tell people. We did not want to disclose to anyone that I could just quit and not work. But now I can be totally honest and explain I am living off the package. Again, not that I owe anyone an explanation, but it is just easier all around. As another poster mentioned, I am starting to realize what I will not face again. No more quarterly closes! (Also funny DW said to me you will not suffer anymore--which is what I titled this thread, and I don't think either of us used that term before.)
My situation was pretty much the same as yours. I was FI for several years but just kept holding on and going into work everyday. It does take guts to leave a high paying job and a great team of people. And, actually at the time, things had actually become a little less stressful because a few idiots had left the company and were replaced by more reasonable people. But then a nice voluntary package became available and it was like a sign. I was more than happy to take it and run. It was like being able to wade into the water slowly, instead of jumping in head first. Sometimes it's just that last little nudge that lets you take the plunge and leave all of the insanity behind. In retrospect, I hear the more reasonable people that joined the company left shortly thereafter and now its worse than ever there.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! This made me very happy to read, especially with the craziness in the world right now

Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote