I suffered for so long

firewhen

Recycles dryer sheets
OK maybe it wasnt that bad, after all I am being paid, but I worked long, long, long past I needed to, and still could not bring myself to pull the trigger. I set financial goals, set an actual date in my mind, and just could not do it. I even visualized my telling them, and driving home on my last day, to make it more real and enticing, but still nothing. I finally decided I was stuck, that was the way I thought of myself. Not financially stuck, not stuck for any logical reason, but stuck in that I could not make a change and could not give up the paycheck.
Then lo and behold a miracle occurred. The company which has NEVER had a layoff or downsizing, but has been having trouble the past few years, offered a VERY generous early retirement package. About triple what I would have expected. A close friend, who knew I was "leaving" for years, thought I would turn it down. But though I may be crazy, I am not insane! I accepted it:dance: Still have about 2 more months to work, but family and friends say they see a difference in me already. I catch myself humming walking down the hallways. I have big smiles on my face by accident. Best of all is when I am in meetings and we talk about upcoming projects and tasks for next year, or even next quarter, and I realize I will not be a part of that.:greetings10: What a blessed feeling.

Good for you. It gets even better when you actually punch out for the last time. Congratulations.

Packages are awesome, grats!

Congratulations on getting just what you needed to join the ranks of the happily retired! Keep us posted.

We can all hope for such a generous package, congrats. I have 10 years to go, but the company may only have 5 years to go......so......

Excellent. I had a similar experience, though I was ready to go.

You'll love retirement.

Sounds like a great way to pull the plug.

Congrats!! Sometimes good things come to those who wait...

Thanks for posting - it gives all of us still stuck in OMY a little hope! :):)

Congrats!!! Along with your humming and future projects, you can look forward to enjoying the last time you have to do ALL the distasteful parts of your job. I know when I did my last Corp meeting (with a handful of pompous “suits” I couldn’t stand), my last monthly report (well over 400), my last disciplinary action, and MANY other tasks/duties - it made me smile every time. And the last few weeks when something significant would come up, I’d gladly deal with it as best I could, knowing I wouldn’t have to face the outcome. :D

Last edited:
Sometimes a person who is ready needs a nudge. Better a positive one!

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. What is ironic is that while this got me to leave, and of course extra money is nice, I really would have been fine without it. So why couldn't I just leave on my own? One issue I always had is what I would tell people. We did not want to disclose to anyone that I could just quit and not work. But now I can be totally honest and explain I am living off the package. Again, not that I owe anyone an explanation, but it is just easier all around. As another poster mentioned, I am starting to realize what I will not face again. No more quarterly closes! (Also funny DW said to me you will not suffer anymore--which is what I titled this thread, and I don't think either of us used that term before.)

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. What is ironic is that while this got me to leave, and of course extra money is nice, I really would have been fine without it. So why couldn't I just leave on my own? One issue I always had is what I would tell people. We did not want to disclose to anyone that I could just quit and not work. But now I can be totally honest and explain I am living off the package. Again, not that I owe anyone an explanation, but it is just easier all around. As another poster mentioned, I am starting to realize what I will not face again. No more quarterly closes! (Also funny DW said to me you will not suffer anymore--which is what I titled this thread, and I don't think either of us used that term before.)

My situation was pretty much the same as yours. I was FI for several years but just kept holding on and going into work everyday. It does take guts to leave a high paying job and a great team of people. And, actually at the time, things had actually become a little less stressful because a few idiots had left the company and were replaced by more reasonable people. But then a nice voluntary package became available and it was like a sign. I was more than happy to take it and run. It was like being able to wade into the water slowly, instead of jumping in head first. Sometimes it's just that last little nudge that lets you take the plunge and leave all of the insanity behind. In retrospect, I hear the more reasonable people that joined the company left shortly thereafter and now its worse than ever there.

Last edited:
Congratulations! This made me very happy to read, especially with the craziness in the world right now

Good for you! I know the feeling, being in a job I knew I needed to leave. It's weird for a while knowing all the projects going on will not be on your mind much longer! Enjoy this special time.

An update

So they asked a number of us taking the package to stay a bit longer, which for me will be another 2 months. Given how generous they were I could not say no. I was worried they might possibly renege on the offer given what transpired since then. (It was crazy they announced the packages a few weeks before the virus set in.) But I got the signed agreement with the revised separation date and now it is official. It is still too far away to count the days, but I am counting the weeks. Sometimes I have to pinch myself I am so happy:dance: Plus I have been working remotely for over a month because of the virus so the day-to-day is a little better. There actually is a small chance I may never make it back to the office if the virus drags on--that would be something!

Congratulations! I am happy to hear the situation worked in your favor.

I work for a large company, and every year they offer a buyout package to those 60 or older. At 57.5 years, I am left out.

This week they offered a 32 workweek option at 80% pay and full benefits. Completely optional for the duration of the virus and can opt out at any time. At the bottom of the message were some jobs that were excluded and mine was one, so got to keep working full time for now. Maybe a new offer will appear.

So happy for you!

I expect to see quite a bit of this at my job - airline call center. Some of those people have been there since I was in high school! I am just there for the benefits & have been able to take "emergency time off" for 3 months due to the virus. Looks like WFH is being implemented so I have hopes it will continue past the crisis.

Back
Top Bottom