Join Early Retirement Today

Thanks CourtneyC
Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks CourtneyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyC View Post
You could always retire and find a way or two to earn money on the side, such as consulting. By doing that, you could defer some or all of your expenses and continue to build wealth with your investments.
Thanks CourtneyC for the advise. I've done various permutations using FireCalc and all scenarios point to a high probability of success retiring within 5 years! Yes, sweeeet! However, I like the idea of retiring early and making extra money on the side ... working on my terms. This will provide an extra level of protection/ insurance for many unknowns, which continue to worry me.
behappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=hayekcapitalist;546201]
Quote:
Why are you afraid...you'r human and you have been conditioned by a society to fear being different
Very insightful, and though I wish that it weren't the case, I know that to a degree your statement fits me, and I expect many others who are already FI but are also jittery about the RE part.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman View Post
If you are single and staying that way, you also have a lot of flexibility compared to those of us with families looking to ER someday.

i.e. you could become a beach bum in hawaii, working at the downhill haleakala bike ride place and living out of your van.

My wife wouldn't be too keen on that idea.

Congrats on having the end in sight !

- John
Hi runchman, when I posted this thread, I was pretty sure I was going to stay single all my life. I've never had much success finding the right girl. I've pretty much given up. However, recently I met someone. She is really intelligent and beautiful, and I would say mature for her age. Now I'm thinking perhaps I need to plan for two?... The journey continues ...
Old 09-23-2007, 03:27 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by behappy View Post
Hi runchman, when I posted this thread, I was pretty sure I was going to stay single all my life. I've never had much success finding the right girl. I've pretty much given up. However, recently I met someone. She is really intelligent and beautiful, and I would say mature for her age. Now I'm thinking perhaps I need to plan for two?... The journey continues ...

Good for you Dude. Be yourself, take it slow and and don't rush things. There ain't no destination to hurry to... you are there, enjoy yourself! Good luck.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Good for you Dude. Be yourself, take it slow and and don't rush things. There ain't no destination to hurry to... you are there, enjoy yourself! Good luck.
Thanks chinaco! having reached a certain level of financial independence is great! I see more possibilities and I'm beginning to discover and know myself more. I do things because I want to, not because I have to. Work is even more enjoyable despite the long hours I put in, because now it is my choice to do so. At a personal level, I think I've become more generous and more emotionally intelligent. I guess this also comes with maturity... but this is the real me starting to come out... I'm enjoying the journey. If along the way I finally meet that someone to share my life with, I am ready.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

BeHappy,

Great to hear you found someone that is interesting to you. Take your time and get to know this person really really well...especially their financial side. Take it from someone who has been married a few times; financial compatibility is a HUGE consideration and can and does wreck many relationships over time.

Sharing life with someone who shares your space and your interests is wonderful and makes living all that much better. But, sharing a home with someone after living alone for most of your life will require some real changes and a lot of patients to make it work over the long haul.

Keep us informed and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
BeHappy,

Great to hear you found someone that is interesting to you. Take your time and get to know this person really really well...especially their financial side. Take it from someone who has been married a few times; financial compatibility is a HUGE consideration and can and does wreck many relationships over time.

Sharing life with someone who shares your space and your interests is wonderful and makes living all that much better. But, sharing a home with someone after living alone for most of your life will require some real changes and a lot of patients to make it work over the long haul.

Keep us informed and I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks SteveR for the very good advice. I agree with everything you said, but I don't even know where to begin finding more about her financial situation. Sorry for being naive and showing my inexperience, but how do I do that? Any suggestions? Perhaps the best I can do is ask some subtle questions and make some inferences or hope that I get lucky and she volunteers some information?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BeHappy,

Casually ask her about her financial goals. Is she working towards a specific goal/milestone (pay off something, hit a certain dollar amount in a retirement, investment, or savings account)? Planning on working til death? "when do you see yourself retiring?" "what would you do if you retired today?" I'd refrain from directly asking her about her net worth! Just keep it conversational and casual...expect the same questions back at ya

Fireup
Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by behappy View Post
Thanks SteveR for the very good advice. I agree with everything you said, but I don't even know where to begin finding more about her financial situation. Sorry for being naive and showing my inexperience, but how do I do that? Any suggestions? Perhaps the best I can do is ask some subtle questions and make some inferences or hope that I get lucky and she volunteers some information?
The best way is to go shopping with her. All kinds of stores...furniture, jewelry, the mall, etc. You will learn fast what she likes and it gives you a chance to see what kind of shopper she is....careful about finding good quality at a good price or name brands regardless of the cost.

At some point you will need to have a more direct discussion about her financial situation. Prior bankruptcies or bill collection activitiy is a good clue as is how she sees investment and savings vs keeping up with the neighbors and friends. Like I said before, long term financial conflicts can and do ruin relationships.

Find out when she wants to retire and what she has done to make it happen. What does she invest in? How successful has she been? What kind of income does she expect in retirement and how well does she understand where it will come from?

You don't have to make this an inquisition but you do need to find out sooner than later. Once the Love Bug has bitten common sense flies out the window all too often.

Feel free to PM me for more a more personal discussion on this if you wish. I would be happy to share what I can.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
BeHappy,

Casually ask her about her financial goals. Is she working towards a specific goal/milestone (pay off something, hit a certain dollar amount in a retirement, investment, or savings account)? Planning on working til death? "when do you see yourself retiring?" "what would you do if you retired today?" I'd refrain from directly asking her about her net worth! Just keep it conversational and casual...expect the same questions back at ya

Fireup
Hi Fireup2025, thanks for the advice. That will work. I will find the right place and time and casually ask. I may even start by casually talking about my plans and use that as a jumping board to ask her about her plans. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
The best way is to go shopping with her. All kinds of stores...furniture, jewelry, the mall, etc. You will learn fast what she likes and it gives you a chance to see what kind of shopper she is....careful about finding good quality at a good price or name brands regardless of the cost.
Feel free to PM me for more a more personal discussion on this if you wish. I would be happy to share what I can.
Hi SteveR, I like your suggestion of taking her shopping! It is non-threatening and sets a casual environment to learn more about her attitude about money, savings, credit card, etc. Thanks also for your offer to PM you. I will if necessary ... like if I crash and burn .