I think im doing it, suddenly

Nice gig, buddy of mine(who will never ER) is mantaining a bunch of legacy 370 assembly code, much of which I had a hand in developing. I asked about long term, I had thought the need for some of that code would be deprecated. He laughed, apparently Megacorp decided it would be the correct place to enhance security, as every online transaction ran through it.

He's actually doing new development in this 30 year old legacy code. And since it's all assembly, has the corporate security rules embedded all through it, probably a safe bet.

MRG

Wow, that brings back memories. I only coded for about 4 years before I moved into a management career, but the last two years I was the 370 assembler expert for my team. And I could fix JCL errors in my sleep (lots of practice when I was on call and the junior folks had updated the jobs incorrectly that day).

I have considered learning one of the more modern computer languages through a site such as Learn to code | Codecademy
but instead have decided first to work on human languages through Duolingo | Learn Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian and English for free. I'm learning Spanish for the first time and also brushing up on my German from when we lived there in the '90s. Might even try to resurrect a little of my high school French while I'm at it.

Congrats Shasta! You will love Washington state, although housing and rental's are kind of high! Good luck with you continued retirement plans. Welcome aboard.

Back
Top Bottom