I think the BS bucket is full.. joining class of 2013?

5yearstogo

Dryer sheet wannabe
I can't tell you how much I have gained from this board though the years. I post rarely,but I discovered this board nearly 10(?) years ago and have planned for ER ever since. Became FI about 2 years ago, but kept working because it wasn't all that bad and we had some short term home remodeling expenses. I have a short commute and I am well paid, however I am suffering from a bit of one more year syndrome. Lately the BS bucket is getting very full though and I am beginning to believe it is time. I am sort of afraid of leaving such a well paying job even though the finances of ER look very promising. If I leave, I can't return to this income level, but lately I feel as if I am wasting my life working there. There may be a buyout in Oct so I may wait to see how that unfolds. Or I may put in my paper work in March. I know I will have no trouble entertaining myself. We also still have preteen children at home. Seems strange to go against conventional wisdom, but I want my life back and at work I am just not happy.

Like many I also worked for a couple of years after FI. The realization that at 50 or whatever your age is that I'll probably never get a job that pays as well is truly scary.
However, the BS bucket shrinks to the size of a soup bowl once FI is achieved.

Your kids are only young once.

Ah, another victim of your success. Not too uncommon around these parts and I'm in the same boat.

Should we put those life jackets on and just jump? I hear the water is nice and warm. :)

OP sounds like me a number of years ago (except DD and DS are older). While I enjoyed many aspects of w*rk, I wanted more me time.

I was lucky in that I was able to move to part time (80% at first and later 50%) and it was a win-win for me and Mega - and a great transition to ER.

I know how you feel. We reached FI last year, and it has been getting harder and harder for me to put up with the w*rk BS. Have you considered trying to go part time? I'm thinking about trying to go down to 30 hours, but have a couple of big vacations coming up -- so I will probably wait until at least one of those is over and see how I feel. If they go for it, I'll probably just end up getting paid less while keeping the exact same responsibilities, so will have to cram all the same work into fewer hours. But even so, maybe that would be better than having 5 out of 7 days taken up with petty, pointless, boring crap. I know it would be hard to find another position as good as what I have now: generous pay, telecommuting, decent benefits. But at the same time, I just don't want to have to think about w*rk anymore. As you said, there's this feeling of wasting one's life. At this point in the game, that seems like too high a price to pay for a few more material comforts.

Heartily understand! I'm going to stick it out until May 2014 but if I can't retire then...Life is worth something, and when it feels futile, it's time to change it up.

I hesitated before leaving almost three years ago and have not regretted it since.
Net worth is significantly higher and expenditures are much less than allowed at 100% according to FireCalc and other retirement calcculators. We are having to increase our T&E expenses.

I feel so fortunate to have this forum to get ideas. The part time suggestion was a great one. I cut to 80% time 5 years ago and that was the only way that I have made it this far still w*rking. If I had to go back to 100% time I would retire immediately! I briefly suggested 60% time a year or so ago and my boss wasn't real thrilled. I didn't pursue it because at 60% I would likely be working some for free.

I have decided to take it a month or so at a time, but not work beyond Feb 2014. We are likely to have furloughs at work which might give me more time off. I have some leave to spend, so I think I could work maybe 60% or so for the rest of the year if I decide to stay that long. Still hope for a buy out later this year. Not sure DH is really ready to hang it up yet; his work has been a bit more satisfying than mine, but he is supportive. We live in the SF bay area, our home is paid off and FIRECALC gives me 95% success rate numbers at more than our current take home pay, so it is time ! Thanks!

Just talking about OP's dilemma today with an older fellow at w#rk. Known him for 20+yrs. He's always LAHM (lived ABOVE his means-fancy cars, $$$vacations, mcmansion, etc.). Now beginning to regret it.... sometimes saying he'll never be able to retire. DW & I have always been LBYM types (actually WAY below) & I avoid talking retirement in front of him. Today really s#cked at w#rk & I let slip I was thinking about RE. He amazed me by saying do it... DO IT!!! Said it's the only situation in life where you really can buy time. Hit me like a ton of bricks. The life regret in his voice was palpable.

...I briefly suggested 60% time a year or so ago and my boss wasn't real thrilled. I didn't pursue it because at 60% I would likely be working some for free. ...

Tell him that 60% is better than 0%!

I was lucky in that where I worked we billed clients for our time and my billing rate was much higher than my cost (pay, benefits, technology, etc.) so even at 50% time it was a win-win for both me and my employer.

Ah, another victim of your success. Not too uncommon around these parts and I'm in the same boat.

Should we put those life jackets on and just jump? I hear the water is nice and warm. :)

An ER pact. Great way to beat the one-more-year demon.

5yearstogo, you joined in 2006 and took that name...stating your target of 2011 upfront. So now you've hung tough for two extra years. It sounds like you are ready to pull the plug, so get ready, set, do it! Set a no-later-than date of Feb 2014 and see if you can make it that far working part time, or by using your leave as needed along the way, or get bought out in October. The important thing is to set a firm date and stick too it. If DH wants to keep marching for a few more years, let him calm your financial nervous stomach until you get used to ER.

sanfranciscotreat said:
We are having to increase our T&E expenses.

I feel for ya! But sometimes you've just gotta suck it up and do what you've gotta do. ;)

I can't help but think that as soon as 2014 hits and getting medical insurance is no longer a big problem for most people, many more BS buckets will get much smaller very fast. I know a guy who took ER 18 months before Obamacare knowing he could depend upon Cobra for 18 months and then Obamacare. In July last year, he ran out of his work place like a chicken with the Colonel after it.

Yay it is feeling real now and I am thrilled.... time to put on the life jacket and jump! I am so happy to have the option to quit working. The real key was to not get caught up in McMansions and flashy cars. Even if I stay to Feb 1 2014 and there are no furloughs,with my accrued leave and vacation, I only have less than 135 working days. And I am no longer 5yearstogo .....Changed my name to .. just walk away.

Oh I love this one! Almost as much as Khan's "ran screaming into the night."

he ran out of his work place like a chicken with the Colonel after it.

Amethyst

Go! You will find many subtle and not so subtle surprises that will delight you in retirement. Sounds like you have covered the reasonable financial risks and if you don't go you are accepting the 100% certainty of trading time for $ that you will probably never use. Time is our most precious commodity IMO as none of us are promised tomorrow.

Congrats 5 years!

Well, I haven't posted in a while because I've been busy. With w*rk. I'm an idiot.

For some reason, I decided to help out The Man and work a project hard. My reward? Even though the project was a success, it was effectively killed due to internal politics, i.e. another executive grabbed the project for his own trophy and empire. The BS bucket here is reaching ocean sized proportions.

I'm going to take some serious vacation this year. This BS is just getting too much. I'm hoping for a buyout offer in the next two years. That's what's really keeping me rolling.

Yes, I probably have just-one-more-year syndrome. I'm an idiot.

Ah, another victim of your success. Not too uncommon around these parts and I'm in the same boat. :)

+1 - Maybe someone could start a poll to see how common it is for the members of this forum "to continue to work once they have reached their FI goal". For me, I probably worked several years longer than I really needed to but I wanted a projected 100% success rate, well passed normal life expectancy using a very conservative investment strategy. Even once I got to that goal I think I worked another year. :facepalm:

FIRECALC gives me 96.4% success rate with zero dollars from SS although I am eligible when the time comes having contributed to it from decades of working. I live in a high COLA area (Washington DC Metro) so if I can make it here according to FIRECALC then should things go poorly in ER I can always move to a lower COLA place to live. But still I am hesitating. I can ER now but I am scared. I think I will stick around until 2014 to see what Obamacare will do for the health insurance scene before giving my notice.

I can empathize--Thanks for this thread, OP!

FIRECALC gives me 96.4% success rate with zero dollars from SS although I am eligible when the time comes having contributed to it from decades of working. I live in a high COLA area (Washington DC Metro) so if I can make it here according to FIRECALC then should things go poorly in ER I can always move to a lower COLA place to live. But still I am hesitating. I can ER now but I am scared. I think I will stick around until 2014 to see what Obamacare will do for the health insurance scene before giving my notice.

I can empathize--Thanks for this thread, OP!

If you run some of the posted calculators from another thread, the Obamacare heath insurance costs are not a whole lot different than one can get on the street today. The thing that is good is that there are no pre-existing condition worries when signing on.

joining call class of 2013

A buy out was offered at work and I am taking it! End of OMY syndrome. My last day is June 13 , 2013. Hello ER!!

Congrats! Great way to go out.

Back
Top Bottom