I'm 42 and would like to retire at 55 in Costa Rica

I eat from street vendors like the locals. :D.
One of my favorites in Marisma Fish Tacos, where they are 15 pesos each, 24 for shrimp fajitas. Great value. But lots of tourists eat there too. Just not the one week wonders.:cool:

I eat from street vendors like the locals.
Spent one winter parked on the beach in the Baja.....ate quite a few fish tacos from vendors.....had other gringos ask if I wasn't concerned about 'health side effects'.....told them it has always seemed to me that it's the picky, fussy people, who won't eat this and won't eat that, that are forever getting sick........one needs to build up immunity and the only way to do that is through exposure.

Yeah, but that's for eating out American, gringo style. I personally enjoy eating where locals hangout including bars.

Rule of thumb is that if you are not in a place with lots of gringos, you are much better off. I personally preferred not to be around gringos in Mexico except if I chooses to. It's much easier on the pocket book. :dance:

Agree with everyone's comments. The above price isn't a gringo price as I have rarely seen Americans in the neighborhood or restaurant. However, it is on the expensive side for Mexico. The Vacio ( argentinian style steak) which is dry aged and spectacular is about $16, whereas in Boston, that would be an easy $40. The wine is also a 2007 argentinian which is pricey, but also great. But to the points above, if you prefer local food or want to spend less, you can eat very well for much, much less. That $40 dinner is about a once every other week for me.

The main point is regardless of your particular food tastes or budget, there are a lot of options, and you can not compare cost of living in Latin America to USA. If I have the choice, I don't see myself ever moving back.

The main point is regardless of your particular food tastes or budget, there are a lot of options, and you can not compare cost of living in Latin America to USA. If I have the choice, I don't see myself ever moving back.
And who can blame you!:cool:

When I ER, I intend to live mostly abroad where dollar goes farther. I still have my hunting cabin where property taxes are less than a grand where I can return from time to time when I visit ungrateful kids and future grand kids. I'm thinking in South America myself. If all South Americas do as Ecuador and make US$ national currency, it would be fantastic. :dance:

Spent one winter parked on the beach in the Baja.....ate quite a few fish tacos from vendors.....had other gringos ask if I wasn't concerned about 'health side effects'.....told them it has always seemed to me that it's the picky, fussy people, who won't eat this and won't eat that, that are forever getting sick........one needs to build up immunity and the only way to do that is through exposure.
Exactly! You don't see local folks getting sick. I admitted that sometimes I do get the unwanted runs but it only last first couple days until my system get readjusted to climate and everything else. Otherwise, I couldn't think of better place to spend money and get more than money's worth.

I liked Belize. I would not want to have a major medical emergency there, however.
LOL...or even a minor one........circa 1992 the driver of the vehicle I was in rolled it off the road and down a dip.....it ended upside down, and we ended up at the Belize City Hospital.

Chickens running around, kidney shaped pans containing festering blood next to the drinking water fountain........and the men's outside toilet, well, suffice to say another one of the accident 'participants' and I used the (yuk yuk) 'facilities' without actually entering the structure.

(From the look and smell of it this was not an uncommon practice.)

Back
Top Bottom