I'm Dreaming of a Part-time 2014

I think it depends on how many days or hours you are willing to w*rk per week. How flexible can you be with those days/hours? I w*rk at a relatively large employee benefits insurance brokerage firm (not in TX!). I partner with a number of account managers who requested and were allowed to cut back to 4 days a week (new moms). To a fault, they are as outstanding and committed as they were when working 40+ hours per week!

I must say, however, that if they had wanted to cut back to 20 hours, that would be problematic in my eyes given the amount of client interaction that is required; especially around renewal time. Seems to me it would no doubt also require that they reduce the number of clients they manage; a difficult circumstance for other account managers.

Maybe initially ask to cut back to 4 days a week and see how that works for both you and your employer? If you're set on going to 20 hours a week (and I certainly respect your need to do so given the circumstances), you may be headed in the right direction by looking elsewhere...it's easier for a new firm to envision gaining 20 hours from a veteran, respected account manager than it is for your current firm to envision losing 20 hours from the same!

My last thought...I'm not wild about the idea of sending a letter or email to your contacts announcing your intention to go part-time. As you know, it's a small community we work in, and it's almost inevitable this would get back to your firm. Ideally, I'd suggest face-to-face conversations with a limited number of trusted industry peers. They may immediately know of opportunities or - at least - can act as another pair of eyes and ears for you in your search.

Best of luck and good wishes toward your family.

I would reach out by phone first and then follow up with resume and ask that they forward on to HR and relevant department heads.

I think it is easier to start out saying that you are flexible to work full-time or part-time. If it was full-time, suck it up for a year and prove your value to the company and then see if you can downshift to part-time.

I don't like my chances at my current employer, so am ready to start looking elsewhere. Please critique my draft cover email to start my search:

To my insurance industry friends:

My current resume is attached for your review.

After 25 years of working full-time in the industry, I am beginning a pursuit of opportunities for a permanent part-time position.

Please pass this on to any HR or hiring managers who may have an interest.

As I am currently employed at XXX, I'd appreciate your discretion.

Thank you & please let me know if you have questions.

[my name]

I would change this to be:
To [specific named person]:

After 25 years of working full-time in the industry, I am beginning a pursuit of opportunities for a part-time position where I can utilize my experience and expertise for [specific named person's company]. Some particular areas of my skills include [fill in your skills that match company].

My current resume is attached for your review. I appreciate your help to pass this on to any HR or hiring managers who may have an interest in my skills and capabilities. Thank you for your assistance to get my resume in for consideration.

As I am currently employed at XXX, I'd appreciate your discretion.

Thank you & please let me know if you have questions. I can be reached at [your email] or [your phone].

[my name]
The biggest problem you have is you need to personalize and get in the door. that means calling contacts at the company you are pursuing. Most people want to help, and getting some inside personal help to have resume in front of hiring mgr is much better. However, many companies now only use web-based, so you have to go through that process. But still pursue the internal route, many openings are not formally advertised.

You also may have better success pursuing part time contract work rather than as an employee.

My husband had good success negotiating an hourly/part time position as an architect. He wanted to work about 30 hours a week. He applied for full time jobs. He then brought up that he would be willing to put in extra hours if there was a crunch/deadline... and when work was slow he was fine working much fewer hours - so they paid him less. It helped that he had health benefits through my job so he was able to offer that as well (that he would not need benefits). He did not want to be a 1099 employee because of the liability insurance grey area for architects who are contractors.

He had this arrangement for over 10 years with 3 different employers. Most had never considered part time - and he didn't broach this topic till he was far enough in the interview to be sure they were interested in his skill set. He only had one firm tell him no-way.

Unfortunately, employers have some leeway in regards to requiring employees to use paid leave before granting FMLA leave. My employer, for example, requires that we use all our paid leave before they grant FMLA. Our HR director is a stickler for abiding by all federal regs; our HR policies do not conflict with federal laws.

From the Department of Labor website:
View attachment 17719

I was on FMLA for many years. They can't stop you from requesting FMLA at the time of your choosing, they have no say in it. They have a week to certify your request. They can call your doc or even have you go to their doc to verify the request, but they must answer in 5 days.

They have to tell you if FMLA will be paid or not. You can take 12 weeks a year. They are supposed to track the time that is FMLA. It can be taken in part days if needed. You do not need to tell anyone your condition just that it is FMLA.

Back
Top Bottom