Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Become a student loan advisor for your local community college.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 05:01 AM   #22

Jenny; how much school debt of your own do you have to pay off? I would prioritize that debt to be paid off as quickly as possible. And do you have any other debt aside from your son's school loans? I ask this because if you could stick it out the 5 more years it would take to max out your teachers pension, and if you can pay off your debt other than your son's loans during those 5 years then the reduced income at 70% might be offset by the elimination of debt payments and you would be free to retire permanently. I suspect your problem is a debt problem, not an income problem.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I think is OP was saying she would retire from teaching, Take 60% of income in retirement pay to pay down bills and then get another job to end up with more income in the family. This plan seems to have a lot of moving parts that would have to work out just right and without spending controls might only be a stop-gap plan.
Agreed. Retiring entirely might not be feasible yet. But if OP wants to keep working at something else for a while, perhaps burned out on teaching, then "double dipping" (collecting a pension while working a different job) very well might be. That assumes, of course, an appropriate job that pays well enough to make it work (and doesn't involve too much stress, drama, or dread about Sunday evenings) is available.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #24

Have you considered becoming a tutor, or tutoring on the side? A certified teacher can charge at least $25/hr and up to $75/hr depending on where you live, grade level, and area of expertise. Of course it won't be a full time job, nor will it pay the same as your work. But add that to your pension and you might be more comfortable financially. And you won't be working full time, which is what you want anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you have a master's degree then you can teach at the college level. Many colleges hire p.t. instructors.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote