I'm FIRE(d)!

surfFL

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi everyone, just got my employment termination email today (no big deal, I was expecting it!).
I've been reading, learning from the Forum for the past 5+ years and preparing FIRE for about the same amount of time!
Am I ready? I'll share some data with you here.
I'll be 52 years young this summer, I'm an engineer (2 Masters of Science in Electrical Engineering); spent the past 28 years in various medium / mini corps in media software industry (B2B). I designed software systems, I loved it. I love complex stuff and solving complex problems.
My NW is $2.333M which breaks down in
$134k cash
$1059k individual taxable account (70/30)
$173k 401k (70/30)
$670k investment property (fair market value net -8% sales fees - broker fees, etc....)
$168k primary residence (fair market value net -8% sales fees)
$20k car (2021 Toyota Corolla Hybrid - used!, CarFax fair market value)
+ various other liquid and illiquid assets which are either planned spendings (new AC, etc...) or 'discretionary' assets

Budget is $65k including taxes, all controlled in Mint.com; it's been stable for the past 4-5 years. Income will come from:
$40.8k rental (gross)
$24.2k individual taxable account (so 2.3% draw; this account generated $25k dividends last year) for now.
Then I can / will draw from the 401k @ 59.5
Then I will get social security with the following options:
$1800 / month @ 64 (-20% penalty)
$2250 / month @ 67 (0% penalty)
$2790 / month @ 70 (+24% penalty)
The $65k budget leaves about $2.5k/month discretionary which is comfortable; it excludes:
- bills and utilities
- health care
- real estate taxes and HOA fees and income tax
- insurances
So $2.5k is really just food and dining, gas and discretionary.
Since I've been working part time for the last 2 years, I've had to pay for my own health care (I'm / was above the ACA cliff) and I settled for DPC (Direct Primary Care) + Health Share. I'm super happy with my choice (doctor is 6 min drive from home, e.g. I called at 9am for a 'mini' emergency, got an appointment at 11am and prescription / pills from the clinic; for a total cost $1.39 extra compared to my monthly subscription!). I never experienced the Health Share, and hope I will never have to.
Doing lot's of sports (more below) and eating healthy for the past 22 years! (BMI = 20).
No mortgage, no loan, no lease, no debt. Also no family / dependent.
I've run FireCalc and various other calculators and they all say 'Go!'. But if you have some comments, please feel free to chime in.

As my user name suggests I live in Florida (Treasure Coast); it's a condo in a non FEMA flood zone which is CBS, I have installed impact windows, I'm not on the ground floor nor top floor (the roof snapped in 2004 with Jeanne and Frances, but was rebuilt according to Miami-Dade code). So I think it's more than safe, hurricane wise...

Also as my user name suggests, I love surfing (done it for the past 22 years as well), so yes I started late, but I'm getting pretty good at it I think. Never miss a wave, never fall and can do couple of turns / snaps on a single wave. There is room for improvement; I'd like to be able to push / do more radical turns (I'm on a 6'0" quad shortboard / local shaper). I try to do 1 hour a day if the waves are decent. In the summer (there are no waves in FL in the summer!) I swim in the ocean.
I also love (mountain) biking, although it's flat in FL! I also try to do 1 hour a day around home.
And lastly, I love music. I design some sounds on various software and hardware synthesizers; can spend 3-4 hours a day on it!
The 2 first hobbies cost almost $0 per year, the last one can be expensive (if you think hardware - couple of $k per machine) but software is getting better and better (often less than $100 per license) which makes hardware less and less needed; and I have so many of both. Been doing sound design for almost 40 years!

In terms of travels, I'm grateful I got to visit so many countries with my family and also for business (and for surfing!) that I really love it here in FL. I just like to get to NY (LI) in September / peak hurricane season because usually the waves are great up north + I don't like the stress of hurricane preparation in FL. BTW that's one of my planned spendings mentioned above.

No dining out either, I don't like the options around here, love to prepare my own food with mostly organic produces (not as a 'religion' but because I think they taste better!). Baking my own bread as well!

So how I can I contribute to the forum, not sure about this one. I don't like dealing with finances (though you can see I'd love having some control around them); I do not know much about finances (I'm an engineer!).

Maybe I can share how to renovate some properties (I've done many many renovations, and I'm quite good at it I think!)?

Anyway, it's just a 'hello' to the Forum right now, and as we say: 'I'll see you in the water'.

Cheers,

surfFL

Last edited:
Congratulations on starting a new chapter in life! As far as contributing to the forum, look for topics on subjects you already know - being a landlord, surfing, Florida vacation spots, ins and outs of biking, etc..

One of the best things about this forum is it is not just about financial matters, people also share interests, hobbies, travel questions, health challenges, etc. so your wide variety of interests will fit right in.

Welcome aboard. It sure sounds like you have an interesting and exciting life outside of w*rk. You're going to love the new ER life.

Welcome Surf -

I retired at 52, as an engineer, and never looked back. Welcome to the good life.

I literally LOLd on the surfing is $0. I walk my dog on the beach daily and know all the 'before work' and 'retired' surfers that are there at 6:45am. Plus my youngest son (age 20) is an AVID surfer. Broken boards happen. Good deals on a new board happen. Wet suits need replacing periodically. Yeah, when you look at the expenses over time, it's pretty inexpensive... but my son broke 3 boards in 3 months this past fall/winter. Maybe it's the bigger waves on California's central coast, where he goes to school.

You look to be in great shape financially and emotionally for retirement. Congrats!!!

Welcome to E-R! Sounds like you have a handle on how to fill your time meaningfully. Enjoy!

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm wishes.
Hi @rodi, sorry to hear about your son 'board carnage', you are right. Thanks for pointing out. I do not have a 'goal' set for a new board / wetsuit. I will fix that soon. I do have one for a new (hardware) synthesizer for e.g. I don't have any for the bike, since I paid $350 maintenance last year and $150 the year before; I'm doing most of the bike maintenance myself.
RE boards. I also do the small dings and repairs myself. I also fix the small tear on the wetsuits myself; have you tried this product?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YNC13G/
It works great for me.
I have 3 boards, 2x 6'0" (same shaper / shape; the old one is a 5-years backup of the new one which is 1-year old; I usually got a new board every 4 years; it's just yellower and heavier with the ding repairs), and a new 6'0" with more rocker, less volume, narrower nose and tail for better waves (which rarely happens here in FL!)
RE wetsuits, it's central FL here, the water never goes below 68F. I've used the 4/3 maybe 5 times this year, the 3/2 maybe 40 times. That's the same old wetsuits I've had when I was in NY LI 10+ years ago. If you rinse them in clear water, dry them out of the sun (and do the small repairs as exposed above), they do last quite a long time in my experience.
I never broke a board, but you are right the waves have much less power in FL compared to CA + my comfort zone is really waist / chest high (I do not go surfing when it's head high / overhead anymore), which limits the dings / breaking risks. But Delta Air Lines broke a 7'4" 20 years ago...
I never surf SD, how are the waves? The crowd factor?
I surfed Malibu, which was great. Manhattan Beach, which I did not like; and HB Pier (N side), which I also liked. This is it for CA surfing experience.
Funny story; 20 years ago, I was in CA on a business trip and our local sales person was living in Carpinteria. So he brought me to Rincon... (with a loaner board and wetsuit), the waves were perfect that morning, head-high, off shore, etc... But the crowd was huge and the surfing level way above my skills (I had like 2 years experience at that time), so I chickened out and waited on the rocks for him to finish his session!
Cheers,
surfFL

Welcome to the forum and to retirement.
The "what will I do with my time?" question doesn't seem to be a problem for you!
Look forward to your contributions to the forum.

So how I can I contribute to the forum, not sure about this one. I don't like dealing with finances (though you can see I'd love having some control around them); I do not know much about finances (I'm an engineer!).

You're a few months older than me and have amassed a similar booty (except 2 salaries, DD & 2 DGK's) so you know more than most about finances...

The only thing that jumped out to me was 28 years contribution to SS & you need 35 to maximize the payout... Otherwise the other 7 will be a big goose egg.

Hi Surewhitey,
Thanks for the + vibes. The figures on the 3 options above are coming from
https://ssa.tools
... where you can 0 your projected income (which I did from 2023 till the social security claim years corresponding to the ages above).
https://www.ssa.gov does not allow you to do / simulate that and assumes you will make the same income from today till your social security claim year.
So if https://ssa.tools is correct, the figures above should be correct. If it's buggy, that could be different. And yes https://www.ssa.gov projections provided a larger amount compared to the figures above (which is pointing towards the fact that https://ssa.tools could be correct).
All the best,
surfFL

Well good for you!! You were ready and had a plan one of the most important things to prepare for retirement. A lot don't have that insight.

Congratulations! I’ll be 53 at my tentative FIRE date so I always enjoy reading stories of those who are my age pulling the trigger and making it happen. I’m still nervous about doing it but every story I hear makes me feel a little more confident about going ahead and taking the plunge.

OP, it sounds like you have everything under controlled. I think your most valuable asset is your excellent health. Congrats on your FIRE and welcome.

Congrats from a fellow Floridian.

Hi everyone, just got my employment termination email today (no big deal, I was expecting it!).
I've been reading, learning from the Forum for the past 5+ years and preparing FIRE for about the same amount of time!
Am I ready? I'll share some data with you here.
I'll be 52 years young this summer, I'm an engineer (2 Masters of Science in Electrical Engineering); spent the past 28 years in various medium / mini corps in media software industry (B2B). I designed software systems, I loved it. I love complex stuff and solving complex problems.
My NW is $2.333M which breaks down in
$134k cash
$1059k individual taxable account (70/30)
$173k 401k (70/30)
$670k investment property (fair market value net -8% sales fees - broker fees, etc....)
$168k primary residence (fair market value net -8% sales fees)
$20k car (2021 Toyota Corolla Hybrid - used!, CarFax fair market value)
+ various other liquid and illiquid assets which are either planned spendings (new AC, etc...) or 'discretionary' assets

Budget is $65k including taxes, all controlled in Mint.com; it's been stable for the past 4-5 years. Income will come from:
$40.8k rental (gross)
$24.2k individual taxable account (so 2.3% draw; this account generated $25k dividends last year) for now.
Then I can / will draw from the 401k @ 59.5
Then I will get social security with the following options:
$1800 / month @ 64 (-20% penalty)
$2250 / month @ 67 (0% penalty)
$2790 / month @ 70 (+24% penalty)
The $65k budget leaves about $2.5k/month discretionary which is comfortable; it excludes:
- bills and utilities
- health care
- real estate taxes and HOA fees and income tax
- insurances
So $2.5k is really just food and dining, gas and discretionary.
Since I've been working part time for the last 2 years, I've had to pay for my own health care (I'm / was above the ACA cliff) and I settled for DPC (Direct Primary Care) + Health Share. I'm super happy with my choice (doctor is 6 min drive from home, e.g. I called at 9am for a 'mini' emergency, got an appointment at 11am and prescription / pills from the clinic; for a total cost $1.39 extra compared to my monthly subscription!). I never experienced the Health Share, and hope I will never have to.
Doing lot's of sports (more below) and eating healthy for the past 22 years! (BMI = 20).
No mortgage, no loan, no lease, no debt. Also no family / dependent.
I've run FireCalc and various other calculators and they all say 'Go!'. But if you have some comments, please feel free to chime in.

As my user name suggests I live in Florida (Treasure Coast); it's a condo in a non FEMA flood zone which is CBS, I have installed impact windows, I'm not on the ground floor nor top floor (the roof snapped in 2004 with Jeanne and Frances, but was rebuilt according to Miami-Dade code). So I think it's more than safe, hurricane wise...

Also as my user name suggests, I love surfing (done it for the past 22 years as well), so yes I started late, but I'm getting pretty good at it I think. Never miss a wave, never fall and can do couple of turns / snaps on a single wave. There is room for improvement; I'd like to be able to push / do more radical turns (I'm on a 6'0" quad shortboard / local shaper). I try to do 1 hour a day if the waves are decent. In the summer (there are no waves in FL in the summer!) I swim in the ocean.
I also love (mountain) biking, although it's flat in FL! I also try to do 1 hour a day around home.
And lastly, I love music. I design some sounds on various software and hardware synthesizers; can spend 3-4 hours a day on it!
The 2 first hobbies cost almost $0 per year, the last one can be expensive (if you think hardware - couple of $k per machine) but software is getting better and better (often less than $100 per license) which makes hardware less and less needed; and I have so many of both. Been doing sound design for almost 40 years!

In terms of travels, I'm grateful I got to visit so many countries with my family and also for business (and for surfing!) that I really love it here in FL. I just like to get to NY (LI) in September / peak hurricane season because usually the waves are great up north + I don't like the stress of hurricane preparation in FL. BTW that's one of my planned spendings mentioned above.

No dining out either, I don't like the options around here, love to prepare my own food with mostly organic produces (not as a 'religion' but because I think they taste better!). Baking my own bread as well!

Maybe I can share how to renovate some properties (I've done many many renovations, and I'm quite good at it I think!)?

Anyway, it's just a 'hello' to the Forum right now, and as we say: 'I'll see you in the water'.

Cheers,

surfFL

As a fellow surfer, congrats on being 52 and still riding a 6'0"! I grew up in FL and surfed through my teens and early 20s. Then ended up moving to landlocked places for work for the past 20 years. I have been wakesurfing for last few years to get my surfing fix but my plans on early retirement involve getting back to paddle surfing and chasing waves. Awesome when your money can work for you so you can spend your days at the beach surfing! Let me know if you are in Nashville area for some wake surfing!

Hi all,
So that's it. I've shipped the PC back today. I'm feeling light and free...
I'm surprised you guys did not challenge my FIRE plan a bit more:
1/ Since you have no heirs as of today, what will you do for you later years?
2/ Are you willing / will you be able to handle RE in you later years?
3/ Since you wrote you do not like managing your finances, who or what is managing them?

1/ The sensible option for me is CCRC; I've lived in apartments and SFHs and happy in either. I've read some excellent threads on the Forum. Will probably deep dive into it the topic in 10+ years.
2/ I think the right timing would be when I claim social security (I hope I'll still be able to handle RE by then!); I will most likely do a DST1031 - if it's still available then - (BTW this is the only financial topic I think I can bring value to the Forum. I evaluated DST1031 couple of years ago by interviewing various actors: sponsor, broker-dealer, QI, even DST-aware CPA; taking some classes; but decided not to do it in the end. I know there is a thread on the Forum, I will try to amend it).
3/ When I was in NY, I had a FA part of the 'top 5' investment firms. When I moved to FL, I wanted a more personal option and hired a 'mom and pop' local firm (after interviewing couple). When I've asked him to compare selling the RE and investing the proceed in the markets vs. doing a DST1031, he could not come up with a plan. So I've switched to another larger firm (couple of offices in the US) and I've asked them the same question when I re-activated this option. They provided an answer which did not meet my expectations (buggy excel chart), and later on I've replaced them by a robot adviser. I'm sure you guys can do / are doing better than the figures I've mentioned above; but for me it's the best solution I found: it's all on 'cruise control' mode and I can spend time doing what I like. I chose this robot adviser because -at the time- it gave the same results as FireCalc.

Maybe one last point before we move on; what is / was your FIRE recipe? I will share, it could apply to you if you have a NW / budget similar to mine, but most likely not if you have a NW 10x and a budget 10x lager than mine.
a/ Be frugal
b/ Spend wisely / responsibly. It does not mean buying the least expensive stuff you can find, but maybe buying durable items, repairable items, etc...
c/ Save / invest (markets, RE, etc...)
d/ Be debt-free
e/ Setup a budget
f/ Buy a home vs. rent
g/ Be self sufficient / learn to be self sufficient. Even today, the large ticket items I would consider not doing myself are law, medicine and car maintenance. Anything else I'm trying to learn it / do it myself. For e.g. that includes taxes (again, I don't like finances) but I spent several weeks 2 years ago comparing what H&R Block brick and mortar have been doing for me for the past 25+ years and tried to replicate it in TT (of course I got the option where someone reviewed the taxes in the end and audit defense), 80 pages of returns later, everything went fine and this year I've done it in 30 mins after the robot adviser generated the 1099s (BTW a robot adviser perk is that it is API integrated with TT: 1-click and the 1099s are imported in TT; it's not as flawless as they say. Couple of manual steps are needed. But in the end it greatly facilitates the process. H&R Block was entering all this manually... Ouch!). The saving is 50% (TT vs H&R Block brick and mortar).

@Dtail. Thanks. I've been to Tampa 2x, but day trip only unfortunately...
@Madman. Thanks. I appreciate the offer. I don't remember being in Nashville; but Memphis twice for couple of days each time, it was a pleasant experience.

Take care,

surfFL

surfFL,
We have an annual get together typically in the Sarasota area usually in Feb. Hope you can make it next year. Missed it this year last minute due to DGF getting sick.

surfFL,
We have an annual get together typically in the Sarasota area usually in Feb. Hope you can make it next year. Missed it this year last minute due to DGF getting sick.

I'm still thinking of trying to organize one in the fall in St Pete as well. I was thinking Oct but I'll be traveling most of the month so it might be early Nov before the holidays (and I think that will possibly allow a few more snowbirds to join). It was so much easier to organize things when I was working and stuck home but my calendar is more dynamic now!

Congratulations. Looks like you are all set as long as you are single!

I'm still thinking of trying to organize one in the fall in St Pete as well. I was thinking Oct but I'll be traveling most of the month so it might be early Nov before the holidays (and I think that will possibly allow a few more snowbirds to join). It was so much easier to organize things when I was working and stuck home but my calendar is more dynamic now!

Good thought as always and would love to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom