I'm FREE on 3/1/2022 @ 55! Here's what I am doing...

rmcelwee

Recycles dryer sheets
New member, first post.

My wife (49) and I (51) are fairly frugal. Single income of around 85K with no kids and no debt. 401K maxed out with catch up ($24,500), two Roth's maxed out with catch up on mine ($12,000), HSA max'd out and put into investments ($6,900). That is $43,400 per year and more than half of my gross. We used to track every penny we spent but quit a few years ago. It was around $30,000 per year.

401K - $1,000,000 (about 60/40 split)
Roth - $65,000 (all stocks)
HSA - $70,000 (all stocks)
Taxable stocks - $250,000 (mostly stocks)
Paid for house - $250,000

I'm projecting we will have around $2,000,000 in 3.5 years. I have been working on a spreadsheet tracking the accumulation of $$$ for probably 20 years. A week ago I started working on a second spreadsheet for spending $$$.

Our plans are to retire, sell our "city" house and move to a "farm" for slow country living. We'd like to buy the farm (50 acres ?) and build a house for what we sold our city house for but I am not sure if that will be possible so we may have a small mortgage for a while.

I believe our living expenses will come from $24,000 per year from the 401K (standard deduction - no tax) and the sale of taxable stocks ($0 taxed on the first $~50K of long term cap gains). Hopefully we can do this from 55 to 60 and then switch to living off tax free Roth money from 61 to 70.5 (pension of $9,000 per year starting at 65). At that point we will take Social Security and go heavy into the 401K thus paying a ton of taxes.

I don't like the stress of my job but like my coworkers and will probably miss it. I like to do projects and hopefully the farm life will agree with me. I'm a little scared about retiring and starting a new life but I think that is just being scared of the unknown.

Question - If I retire at the beginning of March there won't be enough income that year to fully fund my 401K, Roth's and HSA acct. This bugs the heck out of me because it feels like I am leaving money on the table. Am I worrying over nothing? Should I just stock pile cash for the last 2 months (or even 14 months) and not worry about it? Since we invest so much we almost live paycheck to paycheck. Maybe only around $40,000 in the checkbook right now and I doubt it will grow much on our current plan.

Yup. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I replied here but then took a hot shower (relaxes me and helps me think) and edited my reply.

You are right. I won't sweat it! :LOL:

Last edited:
Relax. You're planning.

I did have a small pile of cash and I'm very grateful I did. I don't know what healthcare will look like next year or 2022. But some of us keep our income low in order to get ACA subsidies. Have you looked at healthcare costs?

Welcome! Funny, I have a similar plan to buy lots of land and build a small house in my retirement. But that's after years of traveling abroad. Which state(s) are you looking into? And are you thinking about building a proper farm house or a tiny house? (I'm gunning for the latter.)

Have you looked at healthcare costs?

I think my company is going to give me $1,100 per month for healthcare until 65 and then pay for some kind of supplemental insurance. The estimated $100K I'll have in HSA investments should cover everything (I hope). I keep telling the younger guys at work that they need to start putting $$$ in the HSA for retirement. I'm one of the last guys who is getting medical benefits during retirement. Pension and medical is a thing of the past now for most companies.

Which state(s) are you looking into? And are you thinking about building a proper farm house or a tiny house?

We are in a 2450 sqft house right now (with a 24' x 36' climate controlled workshop for me) in the Charleston, SC area. Only about 3/4 acres of land. We'd like to move to an area within 15 miles from Walmart and Lowes. Currently looking for 50 acres close to Crossville, TN. I'll always have a big workshop to play in but will probably downsize the house a bit (1800sqft?).

We are home bodies so there probably won't be much travel for us. I'd rather putz around the house doing "experiments" (solar power, building/welding something, etc) than go out on the town or travel.

Yes don't sweat it.
Nice HSA balance for supplement to health costs.
Do you expect your farm to be your permanent retirement home? Would there be larger additional costs to take care of such a large property when you get older?

Wow - outstanding job "building your nest egg pile!" I am sure you have already pondered this, but how far out is the farm from things like grocery stores, doctors, friends...etc.?

I think my company is going to give me $1,100 per month for healthcare until 65 and then pay for some kind of supplemental insurance. The estimated $100K I'll have in HSA investments should cover everything (I hope). I keep telling the younger guys at work that they need to start putting $$$ in the HSA for retirement. I'm one of the last guys who is getting medical benefits during retirement. Pension and medical is a thing of the past now for most companies.

I'd just caution that company-provided medical can go away at any time, even after one has retired, with no notice and no grandfathering provision. Several years ago, my husband's employer cancelled health care coverage for all retirees, effective immediately. He isn't retired yet, but we knew some retirees for whom it came as quite a shock, both financial and emotional. At least we know well in advance that it won't be there for us.

IMO, it would be a mistake for anyone to count heavily on company-provided health insurance continuing after retirement.

how far out is the farm from things like grocery stores, doctors, friends...etc.?

15 minutes/miles would be about max that I would want to be from "stuff". We had 88 acres of land in the family at one time (grandparents sold it for only $100K four years ago when they went into nursing home). It was absolutely what we were looking for in every respect except it was just too far out in the middle of nowhere (and it got pretty snowy). We won't have any friends where we are going but we are kind of loners anyway. I'll make friends with some of you guys!

IMO, it would be a mistake for anyone to count heavily on company-provided health insurance continuing after retirement.

I would agree. If we didn't get it I would be pretty upset ($1,100 a month for 10 years = $132,000 plus whatever they give me after 65) but it wouldn't be the end of the world. For some, it would be a huge financial blow - maybe devastating.

de

....Our plans are to retire, sell our "city" house and move to a "farm" for slow country living ....

You may want to rent first.... I've know a few people who had plans on how they would want to live in retirement and after settling into their new situation decided it wasn't to their liking. Easier to change if you have rented and if it is what you want you will be a more knowledgable purchaser when you buy.

You may want to rent first.... I've know a few people who had plans on how they would want to live in retirement and after settling into their new situation decided it wasn't to their liking. Easier to change if you have rented and if it is what you want you will be a more knowledgable purchaser when you buy.

Good advise. There will always be other places out in the "boondocks" if you decide that is the life you want.

Any reason your spouse isn't in the work force? With no kids at home, 3 or 4 years of a 2nd income would help you reach your goal with less stress.

I'd put that 2nd income into after tax funds and if your company HC goes away you can live off it and qualify for an ACA subsidy.

Any reason your spouse isn't in the work force? With no kids at home, 3 or 4 years of a 2nd income would help you reach your goal with less stress.

We are old fashioned. She last worked in 1990. After 6 weeks on the job she said she didn't like it and we decided she should quit. I've been at my current job for 30 years. Stress? In the past 30 years I have not:

Cooked
Cleaned the house
Did the dishes
Washed the clothes
Mowed the grass
Paid the bills
Clipped the coupons
Etc

We have a great life. She takes care of the home, the garden, and the chickens and I take care of earning money. I come home after a 12 hour shift (I currently only work 3 or 4 days a week due to vacation built up after 30 years of service) and she is standing there with a smile on her face, my drink in her hand and food on the stove. At an average of around $50K per year we will build a nest egg of over $2,000,000 and will retire at 55. I don't see how it could get any better than that. If she went to work I would be completely lost and very stressed and so would she.

Just putting it on the table for any young couples who are reading this. In contrast, we are friends with a couple who have regularly brought in around $250,000 a year. They are completely broke and miserable. It isn't how much you bring in, it is how much you spend/keep. I really need to start a thread detailing what we have done during our 30 years of marriage. It has worked great...

Yup. You'll fit in here just fine.... our kind of people... however, we need to introduce you to RobbieB sometime soon. :D

I did a search and I am reading some of his threads now. Thanks!

We are old fashioned. She last worked in 1990. After 6 weeks on the job she said she didn't like it and we decided she should quit. I've been at my current job for 30 years. Stress? In the past 30 years I have not:

Cooked
Cleaned the house
Did the dishes
Washed the clothes
Mowed the grass
Paid the bills
Clipped the coupons
Etc

We have a great life. She takes care of the home, the garden, and the chickens and I take care of earning money. I come home after a 12 hour shift (I currently only work 3 or 4 days a week due to vacation built up after 30 years of service) and she is standing there with a smile on her face, my drink in her hand and food on the stove. At an average of around $50K per year we will build a nest egg of over $2,000,000 and will retire at 55. I don't see how it could get any better than that. If she went to work I would be completely lost and very stressed and so would she.

Just putting it on the table for any young couples who are reading this. In contrast, we are friends with a couple who have regularly brought in around $250,000 a year. They are completely broke and miserable. It isn't how much you bring in, it is how much you spend/keep. I really need to start a thread detailing what we have done during our 30 years of marriage. It has worked great...

Your post details your situation beautifully. Being a stay-at-home spouse myself with 2 adult kids, I can relate. Although I don't take care of chickens. :LOL:

Married for 26 years and haven't worked outside the home since December of 1991. (Unless you consider the garden and shoveling snow.) I worked full-time for 12 years in a variety of capacities, starting at age 16. If I was asked why I'm not in the workforce, the only answer I would have is, "I don't want to and I don't have to." That reads sort of snarky, but it's the truth.

You can retire now, unless you live in NY or L.A.

New member, first post.

Our plans are to retire, sell our "city" house and move to a "farm" for slow country living. We'd like to buy the farm (50 acres ?) and build a house for what we sold our city house for but I am not sure if that will be possible so we may have a small mortgage for a while.

Welcome rmcelwee! I'm new around here too.
DH and I are planning to sell our house at retirement also and build a house on a 10-20 acre piece of land further away from the hustle and bustle. We've lived in the country before, so it won't be a total shock for us. I think your plan of being 15 miles from Walmart and Lowes is a good one. Far enough away to have the peace, but not a huge inconvenience when you need groceries or supplies.

Whether you'll need a mortgage or not is dependent on what type of house you want. Like another post said, a tiny house would be easily done for cash. We're planning on having to spend up to $100k more for our retirement home & land, and will save up cash to pay that difference before we retire. We paid off our house when I was 31, and the thought of going back into debt other than a temporary float between buying the new house and selling the old house stresses me out.
I love your old-fashioned style! I stayed home for a while but went back to work after a few years just to speed up the process. We had chickens when we lived in the country and I miss that so much!! Looking forward to having them again in retirement :)

Back
Top Bottom