Join Early Retirement Today

57 and I am getting close!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

57 and I am getting close!

I am 57. Plan to retire in 1 - 2 years. I will have $400k in a 403b and am currently maxing it out with age catch-ups. I will have 2 pensions. One will pay ~$30k (100% spouse survivor) when I turn 65 and has a cola, the other I will take upon retiring - with 2 options. About $90k annuity (100% spouse) with no cola or a lump sum which will be ~$1.7M (subject to variation based upon interest rates at time of retirement). I can roll that into my 403b at 3.5% fixed (old grandfathered rate that used to be awful, and now is great). BTW, absolutely no debt, two homes paid for with current value total $800k, cars older and paid for etc. I've worked really hard to get all my ducks lined up - I think.

So, I am currently building taxable savings at a decent rate and intend to have about $400k by the time I retire - in two separate FDIC insured accounts - (currently earning 1.20%). I know I can make more, but I enjoy the liquidity and easy access.

One of my Plans is to take the lump sum - and roll the lump sum when I get it into the 3.5% fixed 403b account and let it sit (maybe put some to work depending on the markets at the time), and spend down my taxable savings over five years to pay my bills which will be around $75k per year. I can pull some from my 403b to supplement as needed after 59.5 yoa.

One of my crazy ideas is should the ACA still be around, instead of 18 months of Cobra - I may go into the marketplace and get health care with federal subsidies, and as I will be showing very little income other than the interest from my taxable savings - and with health care under the ACA as it exists today, would be nearly no cost. I would make certain my income is not too low as I wouldn't want to qualify for Medicaid. I know there is an internal ethics bell that goes off here, as asset wise I'm doing well - but I would be following the "rules".

Bridging my proposed retirement age of 59 or 60 to age 65 is the challenge and health care is the biggest thorn. I do have an HSA and am building that at the max - and not using unless absolutely necessary, so will have about $50k in that when I retire as well, which will help with Cobra premiums should I need to go that route.

Also SS which - should I wait until 70 - will be in the mid $60's with my wife taking half of mine. So I sort of have my own built in laddering plan here.

Your thoughts on large cash bucket as a spend down pot to pay for my time to Medicare? Also, showing nearly zero income for 5 years, and buying an ACA health plan with subsidies even though I'm not "poor". Interested in your thoughts on that.

Thanks
Canoesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ACA health plan with subsidies is a good option if you make the limits etc.

As for the larger cash pot, that is what I did. I have enough in cash CD/MM type accounts that I life from and I let my investment grow.

As far as taking the annuity or the lump sum that is really a decision you will need to make. I personally like the lump sum option. I see the growth that mine has made and I have total control of my money.

Glad you are getting close that is a great feeling.
street is online now   Reply With Quote