Join Early Retirement Today

In the home stretch
Old 05-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

In the home stretch

Hi,

We are in the 'home stretch' to ER with 3-4 years to go and in our 40s. I have been lurking here for about 8 months now and feel as if I know many of you well - John Galt, Nords, Cutthroat. th, Martha, CalgaryGirl, Holly - I really enjoy your posts - true inspiration.

We have always LBYM and lived on one salary although we earned two most of the time. Very interested in the perpetual traveller lifestyle and considering some variation thereof e.g. doing part time PT and part time living with or near our kids until they finish University. Has anyone tried this? Also any suggestions for getting through the home stretch? It's really painful counting down... so close and yet so far.

JoJo
steinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: In the home stretch
Old 05-12-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi JoJo
Welcome to the home stretch. 3-4 years may seem like a long time but I'd recommend you save, save, save, and prepare your portfolio if necessary to meet your needs.

Perpetual travelling how? Air, boat, RV, or sandals? Sounds like fun. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:13 AM   #3

JoJo should find a home in Tucson, Arizona.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi JoJo,

We're in the same boat-- 5.5 years to go, sooner if a buyout is offered. *Since my husband will retire from the fed gov't he's used to being on autopilot when it comes to thinking about benefits/ retirement. *I'd like to come up with a game plan to make sure we can do it and make the most of it... ideas??

He just hit 50 and substantially upped his 401K (TSP) contributions. *We both have Roth IRAs and other savings. *We are counting on at least a portion of our projected SS benefits. *

Other ways to get ready: *we are living now on approximately the same income we expect in retirement- in other words, living modestly. *I've been streamlining in many ways= cutting back on possessions, getting the possessions we want to keep (or put in storage if we travel) organized, like photos; researching low cost of living areas we are interested in living in; spending more time with family and friends now rather than waiting til we retire and everyone is ancient; staying fit and trim so we are healthy in ER. *

The time goes faster if you enjoy the present and don't just put it off until you ER! *

We know a lot of RVers. *The only downside I can think of is that those darn trailers depreciate rapidly. *You can't count on selling it someday and turning around and buying a house for cash... you need to also have most of a house in the bank. *

Any other ideas for preparing for the best years...?

Janie
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:01 AM   #5

Welcome JoLo. If you're gonna do RV fulltime, my advice is buy it and try it now. We met some fulltimers and it takes a special mindset to live together, so close, 24/7. OTOH, it really is nice to be able to live somewhere it's cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Home stretch? Save, Save, and plan, plan. Then, to quote a famous ad, "Just do it."

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:33 AM   #6

Which, of course, recalls the down-east Mainer's quip about his wife of ample girth:* "Eh, she's warmth in the winter, and shade in the summer.* Ay-yuh."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
...it takes a special mindset to live together, so close, 24/7.* OTOH, it really is nice to be able to live somewhere it's cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Which, of course, recalls the down-east Mainer's quip about his wife of ample girth:* "Eh, she's warmth in the winter, and shade in the summer.* Ay-yuh."
Slightly OT, I just heard this (maybe it's an old joke).

A guy on TV said that families are wonderful. You can tell them
anything. The reason is that no one is listening

JG
Old 05-12-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm pretty much in the same boat...I'm working a maximum of 3 1/2 more years.

Some things I'm doing is accelerating pay off of the house (to be done before ER), major home improvement, such as new "50 year" roof, etc. I am also increasing savings (just bumped it up by $400 more per month). Others have given good ideas as well.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi JoJo.

Congrats on only having 3 or 4 more years to go and only being in your 40's. That's fantastic!

Although hubby and I haven't retired, I dream of it all of the time. So, I can only imagine how difficult it must be when the countdown is actually on! The only suggestion I have is to try not to think about it too much and you'll be amazed how quickly the time fly's by.

As for travelling, hubby and I will probably downsize our home when the time comes and become snowbirds during the winter months. We just haven't pinpointed the exact location. Phoenix is very close us (2.5 hours by plane) but quite a few Canadians go to Florida. I guess the fun part will be having the luxury of actually being able to do this.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can relate as well. 19 months to go but it seems like 19 years.*
Old 05-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Perpetually travelling on SANDALS actually sounds appealing as I sit in my cube. We are more inclined towards air travel and renting cars in different places since we want to explore Asia and South/Central America in particular. I like the Terhorst approach of several months here and there. We are starting to downsize our 'stuff' and have cranked up the savings. We are also making a list of the top 50 places we want to see. John Galt - I don't get the Tucson comment - was there a song?

Top 10 reasons why the home stretch is SOOOO hard:

10. Everytime the boss walks by, you are more tempted to say something that would get you to the ER state instantly

9. The countdown from 1460-days-to-go goes vvveeerrrry slowly

8. The kids begin to think that they are ERing too

7. Peanut butter sandwich dinners now have a purpose (saving!!!)

How about some others (6,5,4,3,2,1,) for a good countdown ??

JoJo Girl

Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #12

JoJo,

6. The countdown from 1460-days-to-go, I can see the light at the end of tunnel.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #13

I like this thread but I have what I assume is a common variation, I do not have a fixed retirement date. My wife is planning to retire next year in June from her teaching position. She doesn't have much of a pension because of time off for child raising and other employment. I can technically retire later this year. I have 32 years with the govt and I will be 55. But I have one son at home in high school. I want to 1) get a better idea about college support requirements, 2) build up the retirement fund a bit and 3) I am waiting to see if there is a major market correction ( i would rather retire into a rising market, its OK if its falling while I work and am still accumulating retirement funds). So I do not know the magic date although there have been buyouts in my agency and if I get one offored next year I will take it, not so much for the money but its not as much fun working somewhere after downsizing.

I am interested in how those who could retire and had only a general idea of when they planned to retire actually discerned a date to do so.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
I like this thread but I have what I assume is a common variation, I do not have a fixed retirement date. My wife is planning to retire next year in June from her teaching position. She doesn't have much of a pension because of time off for child raising and other employment. I can technically retire later this year. I have 32 years with the govt and I will be 55. But I have one son at home in high school. I want to 1) get a better idea about college support requirements, 2) build up the retirement fund* a bit and 3) I am waiting to see if there is a major market correction ( i would rather retire into a rising market, its OK if its falling while I work and am still accumulating retirement funds). So I do not know the magic date although there have been buyouts in my agency and if I get one offored* next year I will take it, not so much for the money but its not as much fun working somewhere after downsizing.

I am interested in how those who could retire and had* only a general idea of when they planned to retire actually discerned a date to do so.
This is quite interesting to me also. Will watch the responses.
I did not "have only a general idea", but neither did I have a date . However, there were two (2) dates which were turring points
between 1992 when I took the first step and 1998 when I drew my last paycheck. Back in 1993, I shut down my manufacturing company
only after we had shipped as much of our backlog as possible.
This maximized the Receivables/cash flow/profits and it was the
courteous way to handle it, as opposed to calling my customers
with "Guess what? I'm retiring. You'll have to get your order
somewhere else." The second date was in 1998, when my Texas employer
decided they wanted someone full time to do my PT job. They
offered it to me, which was nice. It was big money but my head/heart
were already firmly in ER.

JG
Old 05-13-2005, 04:20 AM   #15

JoJo

5. Monday still means MONDAY :P

BUM
Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo Girl
John Galt - I don't get the Tucson comment - was there a song?
Beatles, Get Back:

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner
But he knew it wouldn’t last.
Jojo left his home in tucson, arizona
For some california grass.
Get back, get back.
Get back to where you once belonged
Get back, get back.
Get back to where you once belonged.
Get back jojo. go home
Get back, get back.
Back to where you once belonged
Get back, get back.
Back to where you once belonged.
Get back jo.

I am with Yakers, sure would like retiring into a rising market. Hard to tell when that is though.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #17

JoJo

If you really want to make it slow, go to this website and set up the dates. I had it in my cube and it was set up with dates and down to the seconds...

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/index.html

Then you can see how long before you get back to where you once belonged

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
5. Monday still means MONDAY :P
Every day feels like saturday!

The wife noted that if we do something extensive on any given day of the week, like a day trip, that the next day feels like "the weekend". I figure its that we're conditioned to find the weekend relaxing after a long week of work, so any major activity leaves the next day with that 'weekend' feeling...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeesh Martha and John, I can't believe I forgot that Beatles song. For the record, I am not a man who thinks he's a woman . It is interesting to think about what triggers when you retire or finally do what you really want to do with your life. While some people in this forum base it on financial goals, there are also those that pick a time based on life events as well. I have found in middle age that it's life events that make me think most about when to retire. Things like watching a close friend endure cancer or die young (big impact for me), noticing people at work who have no spirit left but continue on just because, waiting until you have more freedom because the kids are self-sufficient, a change in business circumstances, etc.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo Girl
I am not a man who thinks he's a woman
I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body. Works for me though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote