Join Early Retirement Today

Inherited real estate sale question
Old 12-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Inherited real estate sale question

My spouse and his siblings inherited their fathers home and land two years ago.
No taxes were due at that time because the estate was not large.

The house and land just sold and everyone received about 60k.

Do we have to pay tax on this money?

Thanks!
retired2015b2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Value when inherited vs sales price?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Same value.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Based on your comment of "same value" I would say no tax liability; however, you may have a loss that could be deducted if your share of the closing costs are considered.
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Administrator

If the house and land was titled to multiple owners after the estate was settled, and 2 years later it was sold and re-titled again to new owners I would be concerned that the IRS would learn of the sale and expect to see some paperwork. If the value had not changed then there may be a loss to report since the value of the house is reduced somewhat by the costs of selling it, and that loss would result in lower taxes.

I have no expertise here at all and personally would get professional advice.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If the house and land was titled to multiple owners after the estate was settled, and 2 years later it was sold and re-titled again to new owners I would be concerned that the IRS would learn of the sale and expect to see some paperwork. If the value had not changed then there may be a loss to report since the value of the house is reduced somewhat by the costs of selling it, and that loss would result in lower taxes.

I have no expertise here at all and personally would get professional advice.
I wouldn't even bother with professional advice (unless you consider tax software professional advice). TurboTax or whatever will handle it just fine. The sale value minus the value at death would be the taxable amount, so if they're the same then there's no taxes. Like VaCollector said, there may be a loss on the closing costs. But it should be easy to determine during tax time.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I wouldn't even bother with professional advice (unless you consider tax software professional advice). TurboTax or whatever will handle it just fine. The sale value minus the value at death would be the taxable amount, so if they're the same then there's no taxes. Like VaCollector said, there may be a loss on the closing costs. But it should be easy to determine during tax time.
A similar thing happened to us in 2010. A house co-owned by DW and her 3 siblings was sold and we used Turbotax to calculate the tax due.

I think the main question is, did it take 2 years to sell the house and settle the estate, or was the estate settled first, and the title of the house transfered to the 4 siblings, then 2 years later sold as a separate event. Not totally clear in the OP
Inherited house
Old 12-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inherited house

At the time of the person's death the house receives a "stepped up basis" to the value at the time of death. Hopefully you had an appraisal at that time.
When the house is sold, there will be a 1099S generated.
I have been through both events. When my wife passed away, I had the house appraised to receive the stepped up basis. I also recorded the value of every stock and fund we owned to the stepped up basis.
When I sold the house, I received a 1099S reporting the sale to the IRS
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're going to get a 1099 on the sale if there was a formal closing--on your portion.

When you do your taxes, you'll have to give the "basis" of the house. Just show your percentage of the sale as the "basis" and show the amount of the closing costs. The closing costs will actually be a tax deduction to you as it was a selling expense.

I purchased my sister's half of my mother's house, and I just cut her a check. I was really swapping inherited money for inherited property--and no 1099 was issued.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

House was transferred to children names and sold two years later. On market for 4 months and then sold. No appraisal done just used tax value. We sold it for about the tax value too.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Based on your comment of "same value" I would say no tax liability; however, you may have a loss that could be deducted if your share of the closing costs are considered.
+1
Is sale value does not exceed original price paid plus sale expenses then there are no taxes.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote