Join Early Retirement Today

Insurance and investment costs
Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Insurance and investment costs

Hi I'm kmm3n1 and I'm planning on retiring next January. I will be 50 and my wife 48. We have very little debt but 1 still in college. We will be drawing our investment money early with no penalty via a 72t. Our firecalc success rate was 100% drawing $250k a year for 30 years. The two things I'm concerned about are what percentage do we pay a financial advisor and what will insurance cost?
kmm3n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think most here would advise that you do not pay an financial adviser. A quick search here will bring up multiple discussions on the topic.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

You're talking about a starting portfolio value of $6.74M. Thus every 1% per year you save in portfolio expenses = a nice new luxury car for you or a loved one. Why give it to an advisor?

My recommendation for you is to use a 40/60 port using 40% VT + 50% BND + 10% MMF and enjoy life.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm3n1 View Post
Hi I'm kmm3n1 and I'm planning on retiring next January. I will be 50 and my wife 48. We have very little debt but 1 still in college. We will be drawing our investment money early with no penalty via a 72t. Our firecalc success rate was 100% drawing $250k a year for 30 years. The two things I'm concerned about are what percentage do we pay a financial advisor and what will insurance cost?
You can go to eInsurance.com to get a quote on health/dental insurance. No need to go to the government site unless you expect to get a subsidy, which I assume you wouldn't given the number you provided.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
You're talking about a starting portfolio value of $6.74M. Thus every 1% per year you save in portfolio expenses = a nice new luxury car for you or a loved one. Why give it to an advisor?

My recommendation for you is to use a 40/60 port using 40% VT + 50% BND + 10% MMF and enjoy life.
And all in a retirement account that requires a 72t? I'm guessing we missed a decimal point again.

Anyway, kmm3n1, 1% of your portfolio per year is the maximum you should pay. And you may notice that at a 4% SWR you'll be giving your FA 25% of your yearly income. So if you know enough to know your FA is doing a good job, you'd be better off creating a portfolio using index funds that only charge 0.1%.

Your best move might be to have a one-time only consult with a fee-only FA to get you started with some assurance. Still expensive, but it could give you and a spouse a warm fuzzy.

Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the advice
kmm3n1 is offline   Reply With Quote