Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2020, 10:34 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
I couldn’t agree with you more! Believe me I am very contented and really have no interest in amassing wealth at the expense of time and quality of life. I am trying to off load properties to truly free myself. The issue in my market, if your properties are not renovated, investors want to pick them up at fire sale prices. I have so many opportunities I’ve left on the table that some think I am nuts. First I walked away from a good career at 50 and could consult or work easily but won’t.
I don't think you're nuts. Life's short. Submitting to unnecessary stress is what's nuts.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Everywhere's great for 5 days. Everywhere's a bit of a pain for 14 days. If you can stay 15 days and still think it has appeal, that would be meaningful!

That is a slow-traveler’s quote to live by! It’s been exactly my experience.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, that is exactly what FIRECalc is designed to do. Have you spent much time using it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Not enough, it seems! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Why not run your numbers through Firecalc and let us know the results.
Many of us can answer detailed questions about the results, or how to input unusual items.
Input your situation into FIRECalc assuming no house purchase, following the tabs along the top for Other Income/Spending (which would include Social Security), etc.

The under the Investigate tab, select the option for FIRECalc to solve for a spending level at a given level of success (95% is the default)... see first picture below. Then Submit and you'll see a graph similar to the second picture below (based on FIRECalc's default assumptions).

Then reduce the starting portfolio balance for an amount that you might spend on a house and see if you think you can live with the resulting safe spending level.... trial and error making changes until you have somehting that you can live with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (45.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (49.5 KB, 30 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Such an interesting conversation! Since retiring, I’ve been enjoying a more pared-down lifestyle. In Vermont there had to be a good reason to get out of your jeans and flannel shirt, and I’ve pared down my w*rk wardrobe dramatically.

I’m moving, though, to the Southern Hudson Valley, where there’s a higher COL. My daughter, SIL, and 2-year-old granddaughter live there, and when I missed the little one’s second birthday due to the pandemic I knew things had to change.

People down there wear nice clothes. Good thing I didn’t dump all of them!
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote