Join Early Retirement Today

Intro
Old 11-17-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Intro

Boy, I am glad to find you guys; Early retiree at 57 due to company selling--relocated to the upstate--reaching 2 years of retirement--worked fo 50 years so adjusting to not working has been a challenge. Can;t find employers who want to hire a 59 year old, white male--so really don't believe the articles that say employers are jumping on early retirees for their work ethics and experience.

Am I by myself in this world--thanks for letting me join

Jay Mc
Jay Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Intro
Old 11-17-2006, 06:29 AM   #2

How are your finances? - If they are fine, why are you looking for a job?

I had a difficult time the first year and did not get into my groove until after a year went by. I still had contact with my friends and usual haunts. I never resorted to looking for a job though. Now my hobbies and interests and travel have completely filled all available time.

So have you decided that you are retired or are you just un-employed?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Jay Mc - welcome to the gang.

Most of the sentiment around here is about finding ways to get away from our jobs, not finding new ones, but it will be interesting to hear your experiences. Maybe you'll learn to love ER.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that the press is jumping the boat and age discrimination is alive and well.

So how are you filling your time? I fyou are having trouble, there is no shortage of suggestions on this board.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #5

Hi Jay Mc, and welcome! You're among friends here. I hope the finances are such that you're looking for work by choice rather than by necessity. There are a number of folks here who became involuntarily retired and ended up delighted by it. Not a bad way to get there.

Coach
Old 11-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #6

Welcome, Jay. Several folks on this forum (or their spouses) gained early retirement via similar encouragement from their employer So--you've been early retired for 2 years already, congratulations! Can you manage on your pension/savngs/upcoming Social Security? What are you doing about health insurance?

DH and I moved across the country to semi-retire closer to family, and now I'm fully retired. We're just a couple years younger than you and doing well. We saved enough for DH to retire, but not for the possibility that I can't obtain individual health insurance.

PS--most empoyers aren't eager to hire 59-yr-olds of any race or gender. But there are exceptions, and it helps to be slim and healthy.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mc
Can;t find employers who want to hire a 59 year old, white male--so really don't believe the articles that say employers are jumping on early retirees for their work ethics and experience.Jay Mc
Interesting about your first hand experience. I contend that those baby boomers who plan to work into their 70's won't be allowed to. I expect a mini crisis of elderly forced retirees requiring government assistance, starting in the next decade.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
Interesting about your first hand experience. I contend that those baby boomers who plan to work into their 70's won't be allowed to. I expect a mini crisis of elderly forced retirees requiring government assistance, starting in the next decade.
I agree there is a lot of "over qualified" terminology flying now. Only those who hang on will be allowed to have financially rewarding opportunities. I fear many who think they have such great skills will find that once out the door it only swings out. McJobs in the 60's... YUCK

The twits in HR need adjusting and so do the top brass who condone the stupidity of the hiring practices right now.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
I agree there is a lot of "over qualified" terminology flying now. Only those who hang on will be allowed to have financially rewarding opportunities. I fear many who think they have such great skills will find that once out the door it only swings out. McJobs in the 60's... YUCK

The twits in HR need adjusting and so do the top brass who condone the stupidity of the hiring practices right now.
I am quite sure you know my position, but as usual I can't resist.

I support the employer's right to hire/fire anyone they wish, at any time,
for any reason. So, I guess I support the "twits" and the "top brass".

JG
Old 11-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #10

Good point. Your right the powers that be do have the right to run the show the way they want. All the more reason to stay informed and manage your own career and retirement, That is someting we should be teaching young people who are entering the job market. I know I try to explain the facts of employment to my neices and nephews who are currently in college. God knows what is going th happen the all of those genXers when it is time for them to retire.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie

I always presumed that those people who think working into their 60s/70s will be a requirement because they didn't save a nice thing to do to keep active and in contact with people were thinking of merely staying at their present job and working longer full or part time...I didn't expect them to be posting their resume to monster.com in the senior section and trying to land an entirely new gig. Of course, it all depends on their industry - something like construction (the office side, of course...not the field side where you work with the tools) would always (IMO) be in demand for people with decades of experience under their belts...but, I'm sure there will always be some who disdain older people for a variety of reasons.