Introduce yourself here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. We are so close we can taste it. No debt, kids educated and gone. FI, but need more of a cushion.

Just trying to put the finishing touches on our financials so can exit the workforce entirely soon. Both age 52. We love to travel so will need a little more money than some, and also need to figure out where we want to live when we no longer have to work to live. Due to our age we may work part time or seasonal to preserve capitol.

We are in NY so taxes are a prime consideration when deciding on the retirement destination, as well as where are our kids settle. It will be in the US for sure.

I have learned a great deal from the people here, including to take everything with a grain of salt. Most of all, I have really gained from the opinions, experiences and ideas expressed here.

Welcome to the board, shorttimer.

For some, just knowing that you're FI makes the workplace that much easier to put up with...

I agree Nords. There is a lot I am putting up with at work that is making others crazy that doesn't bother me at all. Getting your finances in control and eliminating all debt makes you see the work world through a whole new set of glasses. thank you.

I am so ready to retire. I am 50 and not financially ready or prepared. I too have medical issues to consider before leaving a good paying job and health benefits. I couldn't be more unhappy at work and would love to leave it.

I feel stuck and am reading everything I can about changing my life style with hopes of feeling better about me and my life and get out of the rat race.

My mind tells me I will never get to stop working this hard and that it is not reasonable to think I could retire early, if at all. I get some hope reading these posts and hope I can come up with a plan.

catramsey said:
My mind tells me I will never get to stop working this hard and that it is not reasonable to think I could retire early, if at all.  I get some hope reading these posts and hope I can come up with a plan. 

Welcome To all the new folks. Glad you made it here and I will be looking forward to your comments and ideas.

Getting to FI is not rocket science (with all due respect to the NASA and JPL folks). It does take planning and most of all execution of the plan to get there. Consistency in saving and then investing those savings while keeping your expenses below your income will get you there. The speed you get there is dependent upon when you start and how much you are willing to adjust your lifestyle to get there.

Good luck in your journey to FI and ER.

SteveR said:
Welcome To all the new folks.  Glad you made it here and I will be looking forward to your comments and ideas.

Getting to FI is not rocket science (with all due respect to the NASA and JPL folks).  It does take planning and most of all execution of the plan to get there.  Consistency in saving and then investing those savings while keeping your expenses below your income will get you there.  The speed you get there is dependent upon when you start and how much you are willing to adjust your lifestyle to get there. 

Good luck in your journey to FI and ER.

And don't forget.......................even without much planning
or saving it might still be possible to have a good outcome.
I don't recommend it though. :)

JG

Have Funds said:
You win a life-sized Cube Rat avatar!!

May the farce be with you...  :p

Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. :eek:

Thanks anyway. ;)

Hello from the new guy.  Been lurking here quite some time and have been impressed with the knowledge and help from posters.  Kids grown, gone and off the payroll.  Hope to contribute with some wit, probably lack wisdom, but I pretend.  Appropriately enough, groundhog day marks the start of my new adventure.  The only boss I will answer to has started her list of my assignments.  I   plan to do what I did summer of high school junior year. Stay up late, sleep late, bag groceries at A&P. On second thought, not the last part.

Welcome to the forum, Po.

poboy said:
Appropriately enough, groundhog day marks the start of my new adventure. The only boss I will answer to has started her list of my assignments. I plan to do what I did summer of high school junior year. Stay up late, sleep late, bag groceries at A&P. On second thought, not the last part.

Speaking from my vast 8 months experience, there are a lot more interesting things to bag than groceries now that you will have lots of time to pursue your interests. And your comparison of new retirement to being out of school for the summer is "spot on".

Here's hoping your summer is a long and happy one. :)

:D I must be a little slow, but I cannot find the icon for "new post." Can anyone help? thanks. val

valred said:
:D I must be a little slow, but I cannot find the icon for "new post." Can anyone help? thanks. val

I think the icon you used is as close as the forum has for "new post". But since your next post won't be your first, why worry about it? ;)

Welcome to the board and congratulations, poboy!

poboy said:
I   plan to do what I did summer of high school junior year.
That brings back some fond memories. I'd attempt to relive that summer but I'm already married with children...

Hey...K-man here. Long time lurker, decided to jump in. I'm 37, wife is 38 and we're looking to retire in our late 40s/early 50s. Lots of great advice here....happy to join in.

Hi, occasional lurker turned into a new member here...

I'm 37 and have been working towards ER ever since my first job, when I was talking with a buddy about not needing to spend half of what I was earning. He told me about a neighbor of his who basically did just that - he saved half of what he made and retired in his late 30's, and now fishes most every day and generally does what he wants. Wow, that made a huge impression on me.

Later I joined a startup company and probably focused on the ER goal too much, turning into something of a workaholic and forgetting to have fun along the way. When I burned out, my wife & I (no kids) came up with a bunch of different variations on ER, which we've creatively named:

"Plan A" - financially independent retirement, using a 4 or 5% withdrawal rate

"Plan B" - we don't have enough savings for plan A, so we try to do "fun" or part-time work to make up the difference.

"Plan C" - we scale back our spending and live off our current savings. This might mean parking a trailer in the woods in a cheap part of the country, since we already live modestly.

I'm sure there were plans D, E, F, ... but those three are the only ones I remember. :)

That startup company was acquired and now I have a bunch of restricted stock that I can't sell for another four years. We have no idea what it'll be worth then, but we're both more than ready for a change, so we decided to start with plan B and see what happens. I've quit my job and am researching ideas for products I can design & sell on my own (I'm an engineer). If that fails, I'll probably try to get some contract work for a few months out of the year. My wife will probably leave her job in a few months and try her hand at art (she always wanted to be an artist, but went into computer science for the money).

This is a great forum and I'm looking forward to being part of it.

SC

Welcome to the board, SC!
sc said:
We have no idea what it'll be worth then, but we're both more than ready for a change, so we decided to start with plan B and see what happens. I've quit my job and am researching ideas for products I can design & sell on my own (I'm an engineer).
There must be something about Dory's leadership that attracts all the retired engineers. Or maybe it's his charisma.

Anyway have you read ESRBob's "Work Less, Live More"? It describes significant parts of your "Plan B" as well as spending & lifestyle issues.

Nords said:
There must be something about Dory's leadership that attracts all the retired engineers. Or maybe it's his charisma.
Must be. I always wondered why I rarely see engineers older than 40 in the places I've worked. Now I know - they're all here!

Anyway have you read ESRBob's "Work Less, Live More"? It describes significant parts of your "Plan B" as well as spending & lifestyle issues.
No, but it looks like a great resource. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the pointer.

SC

Re: Newbie looking for advice!

dawgster said:
Hello All, Dawster here.
I'm considering leaving my job with a bankrupt major airline to save my lump sum pension from being terminated and going to the PBGC. 
I just turned 50 and my wife is 52, her company was just sold and her job beenies will be cut in half. we're thinking(hoping) "to bag it" altogether and "ER"
we don't have any kids and we're debt free.

investments:
cash / cd's             220,000
lump sum pension 168,000
401k's                   282,000
IRA's                      200,000
total=                    870,000

house is paid for in Tucson and expect annual living expensess to be 40-42k including health insurance
we live a simple life style and enjoy low cost activities(bicycling, hiking and golf at the local muni courses).
I will probably work a few short term contract jobs(i'm in the computer field) to supplement our income.

I guess my major concern or question is that "are we dreaming or should we slug it out a few more years"

the risk is losing the lump sum pension option and seeing my pension going to the Feds for possible cuts in the monthly annuity.

The upside is that we save 40k every year while working and we would be a lot more stable for ER in 2-3 years.

any thoughts

Dawgster

I did it at about the age you are now, with a 10 year old
at home, significant debt, no pension, little prep/plan
and a net worth about half of yours. Immediately went through a divorce. Fast forward 12 years. Worked out great. Personal net worth is up substantially and SS starts
in 7 months.

JG

A lot of people on this board use the 4% rule as a starting point. There are a lot of posts on it that you can read about.

But it is only a starting point. $42k is 4.8% of $870k so you are a little above 4%. Do some FIREcalc runs or use the TRP Monte Carlo calculator and look at the sensitivity to withdrawal rate and other factors that affect your personal situation. I would recommend looking at both tools actually.

4.8% would be fine if your investments do well but if there is a down market you could run into trouble. You seem to have the flexibility to get part time work or go back full time if needed so that mitigates the risk of the "worst case" market scenarios.

It seems that the probability that you will lose the pension is the biggest factor in the decision. If the probability is high you might want to take it while you can and look elsewhere for work if you need to supplement you retirement income.

One way to look at it is that the pension is equal to four years of your living expenses in retirement so that is what you risk by staying put.

MB

Re: Newbie looking for advice!

dawgster said:
I'm considering leaving my job with a bankrupt major airline to save my lump sum pension from being terminated and going to the PBGC. 

I guess my major concern or question is that "are we dreaming or should we slug it out a few more years"

the risk is losing the lump sum pension option and seeing my pension going to the Feds for possible cuts in the monthly annuity.

The upside is that we save 40k every year while working and we would be a lot more stable for ER in 2-3 years.
Welcome to the board, Dawgster!

Sounds like the choices are in your hands. You seem to have health insurance covered. If you're willing to work part-time for a few years that'd make up for the "loss" of income while protecting the lump sum. And from the way the media describes it, you have a very real risk of losing that pension (or getting it cut way back).

Lump sums tend to be bigger when interest rates are lower so yours is probably a pretty good deal. You'd want to see which is better-- the lump sum now or the prospect of a pension later. Can you compare the size of the lump sum today vs the size of the PBGC-guaranteed payments? Which one is bigger?

4.8% is on the ragged edge of risk/failure but again, your simpler lifestyle, a keen eye on expenses, and your willingness to go back to work should swing it.

If you haven't already, read Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More". It pretty much describes what you're doing and adds detailed financial withdrawal planning to your intentions.

Re: Second Career

Oberst_One said:
:D :D :D Retired from the US Air Force in 98 after 26 years. New career in telecom since. Would like to retire as early as possible and thanks for having this forum. Spouse and I have two active paychecks and one from USAF retirement, and of course, living well beyond our means. Goal: Move to the coast and downsize in 3-5 years. Interested if any ret-mil folks are in the forum.
I retired from the AF in 87' after 20 yrs and have been working for the FAA since then. In two years at age 60, I'll be elible to retire from FAA and intend to. I don't have many outside interests/hobbies other than building computers but I'm sure to figure something out. I really don't like my FAA job so the timing couldn't be better.
Good luck!

Re: Introduce yourself here - a Contrarian View?

Hi, I'm new to this board - my compliments to all, very professional, informative and entertaining! I've been searching for a constructive conversation about this thing called "retirement", and you folks have it.

I'd like to share some of my hard earned thoughts about what you'all are calling retirement. For me it goes like this, at age 62:

- I've run my own single owner consulting company since 1983, a sucessful venture that has provided income from $75 to more than $300k / year, say an average of $120-150/yr.

- I am fully exposed to my own ability to generate revenue, AND fully exposed to my expenses, namely insurances (medical, disability, life and business). Simply stated, what I kill is what I eat. In lean years we "eat" less, some years we "eat" a bit more and save more.

- I have consistently funded my tax deferred IRA/SEP account to the maximum each year, and now have about $600k in this account. A note: during the past two decades I decided to NOT invest these pension funds myself, but rather hire portfolio managers to do this specialized work (a matter of available time and recognizing what I'm not good at).

- Since 1983, the portfolio managers have made and LOST more than a million dollars for me (in excess of the current pension fund balance) - until 2001 when I pulled the plug on this crazy activity called "investing". I now have approximately what I've put into the accounts - without any return on assets. So much for hiring someone else to manage my affairs!

My conclusions from two decades of trying to make money in the "market":

- The stock market is a fools game - it is nothing more than legalized gambling. But it is even worse than gambling - there are no rules (or the rules are broken) and there are multiple levels of unscruplous people between your money and the actual "investment". At least at the crap table you know the rules, see the money and watch the dice.

- I'm sure there are those individuals who claim to beat the S&P/DJ, etc. Good for them. But for the average guy & gal trying to play the market in any form is, in my opinion, very risky. In fact I'll argue that the upside benefit of playing the market is far less rewarding than the potential to suffer the downside losses. Compared to fixed income instruments the equity markets frequently (not always, and not predictably) present a substantial non-symetrical investment position, i.e. you can loose much more than you have the potential to gain.

- Luckily (not smart, just pure luck), I purchased real estate in the 80's and will shortly have over $2 million available for income producing purposes (in addition to retained real estate assets of about $3 million).

So here are my thoughts as I now shift into a new phase of life (I suppose this is what you'all are calling "retirement"). First, I don't know how to define retirement. It seems to be a worn out term from a past generations. I look at life in stages, and now see an opportunity to "work" at life in a different, perhaps wiser, way. I plan on retaining some revenue generating business activities (only those projects that are fun and include interesting people). My non-revenue activities will include public service, charitable services and traveling the globe with my wife to explore other interesting ventures... all to be discovered as each day comes.

The other thought I have is that, at age 62, I have about 18 - 20 years of likely good active days ahead of me. After that, even with reasonable health, I'll likely want to slow down a bit. So, I need more funds for the next two decades than I need in the 3rd and, potentially, 4th decade.

So, I'm considering turning the "retirement" equation on its head and front end load my withdrawl rate in the early years, using the money while I can enjoy it - and only use fixed income (insured) investments. Sure, I'll "loose" money some years, BUT, I'll have a guaranteed return ON my money and not have to suffer the risk of not getting a return OF my money - and, I'll be able to sleep at night.

Regarding erosion of funds due to inflation, in my opinion that's simply "noise" in the forecasting analysis. The greater, and more prominent, risk is major market "corrections" (read manipulation), that can literally take all your money overnight. I'll never again will I let some so-called investment advisor get between me and my money.

... and I wonder... am I "retiring" too late in life? I don't think so, since I've defined my life as a journey with each stage (education, profession, family, wealth buidling, etc) being an endeavor in itself. This thing called "retirement" is simply one of the latter stages of life that offers a new set of opportunities to be invented by each of us in our own way.

It is really helpful to read the well written commentaries on this Forum, I've learned a lot. I'm interested in hearing any comments you'all may have about my thoughts.

Curly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom