Introduce yourself here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the board, Curley.

First, I'm going to resist the urge to ask about Larry and Moe... ;)

Second, your market aversion, burned by trusting others to invest your money, "safe" fixed income and real estate investing, gonna keep working but only on what I enjoy, spend more now when I'm healthy and can enjoy it, worry about it later strategy (whew.....) isn't new. You may hold the record for combining them all under one roof, but all of your views on "retirement" have been discussed here, or at least portions of them.

Sounds like you have a nice nest egg to draw from, and with reasonable work income and thoughful draw-down, you may be in better shape than many of us.

I look forward to hearing the input you'll get from the forum. Should be interesting.

My alter egos, Larry & Moe, are fine - thanks for asking. Actually my Forum name is a moniker reflecting my folliclly challenged head.

I guess I can take some comfort in having a view of investing or outlook on life styles that may not be all that contrary to others in this forum.

While I have not yet heard from anyone else, it's really impressive to see the magnitude of postings some of you have. In some cases it looks like responding to this Forum IS their retirement activity.

Regards,
Curly :)

Welcome Curly,

I can identify with the moniker myself. I like to think of it as God made a few perfect heads....the rest he covered with hair.

Retirement if whatever you define it for yourself. Some here no longer work for a paycheck but have a working spouse. Some have left the workforce as an employee but have a business they run which creates an income stream. Some have left any kind of "work" and have no income stream except what they create though their savings, investments, retirement plans, pensions etc. And some have been self-employed in their own business or profession and have sold it or no longer actively run it but live off of whatever income it generated be it investments from the sale or a cash flow from some aspect of the business. There are other combinations too and I am sure if I missed one someone will add it.

There are folks here that have done very well in the various markets for investments and there are others that have lost as much as they have made. The sentiment here relative to Financial Planners is generally negative. If someone's income is based on buying and selling stuff with your money then their motivation will be for them to make more money for them buy "using" you to do so. There are some good ones out there that can truly help you without screwing you in the process and if you feel better about letting someone else invest for you then OK but realize that everything has a price that will in some way lower you total investment balance. For some it is worth it. For others, it is not and the "game" of investing becomes a challange that they like. To some investing in the stock market is like legal gambling. Do what works for you but educate yourself as much as you can so you at least know what you should expect for your FP dollar. Search around on the site, there are lots of books noted here. NORDs can give you a list off the top of his head.

Sorry about the long post.
Looking forward to seeing your posts here.

SteveR, thanks for the thoughtful comments and advice, well said.

Your comments point out that all of us in our 5 or 6th decade arrive with a basket of experiences - all of which shape our collective outlook on various subjects, some good, some not so good. Of particular interest to me is participating in one of the most profound revolutions in our planet's history - transparency of information spawned by the internet. Even more interesting and curious is the effects that this information age has on our world-wide societies. Ten years ago, who would have thought that I could / should / would annomously correspond with who knows how many people about retirement, finances and who knows what else? What an amazing time, truly remarkable.

Thanks for your commnents, I look forward to participating in this Forum.

Curly

hi there..

I am mike-1.

I am not Howard or Maximillion.

Hope eveyone here, including Lawrence, has enough brainpower to grasp that simple concept

:yawn:

Well, well, welcome Mike-1.

For the record, it's Laurence with a "u" not a "w", but I'm sure your vast brainpower was getting around to reading what's in front of you at any moment.

All but 2 of your posts could be construed and confrontational and abrasive, I hope you plan on changing your ways and contributing to the conversations on the board, or get tired of trying to troll and move on. Most on this board won't play, and those who will are out of your league.

If you are just having a bad week, a few pithy posts will make your entrance a distant memory.

Laurence said:

For the record, it's Laurence with a "u" not a "w", but I'm sure your vast brainpower was getting around to reading what's in front of you at any moment. 

All but 2 of your posts could be construed and confrontational and abrasive, I hope you plan on changing your ways and contributing to the conversations on the board, or get tired of trying to troll and move on.  Most on this board won't play, and those who will are out of your league. 

If you are just having a bad week, a few pithy posts will make your entrance a distant memory.

I'm proud of you, son! ;)

Laurence said:

All but 2 of your posts could be construed and confrontational and abrasive, I hope you plan on changing your ways and contributing to the conversations on the board, or get tired of trying to troll and move on. Most on this board won't play, and those who will are out of your league.

Thanks for the advice. Sorry to disappoint but you good folks can look forward to plenty more of the same. As to being called a troll, well I imagine I have been called far worse.

:D

mike-1 said:
Thanks for the advice. Sorry to disappoint but you good folks can look forward to plenty more of the same. As to being called a troll, well I imagine I have been called far worse.

:D

So then I take it by your statement of "more of the same" to mean you plan on continuing to be harsh and abrasive and not contributing to the conversations on the board, yes?

Laurence ... that all depends how my posts are perceived. You are voicing your opinion. Remember it is your opinion. If somehow I don't meet your personal exacting standards or expectations as to how one is supposed to conduct oneself at a forum well that is lamentable but there is really nothing I, or you, can do to change that.

mike-1 said:
If somehow I don't meet your personal exacting standards or expectations as to how one is supposed to conduct oneself at a forum well that is lamentable but there is really nothing I, or you, can do to change that.
Mike, that's what moderators are for.

You can come back in as many different identities & IP addresses as you want, and TH can even show you how to do it.

What's objectionable is the behavior. You can choose to behave or to not behave.

Examples of not behaving can be edited/deleted by the moderators and will be. Kindly keep in mind that the moderators respond to the board member's reporting of the posts they find objectionable, and you're currently leading the pack. It's not a place you want to be.

If you're here to engage in a dialogue that most would not find objectionable, then you're welcome to behave here.

If you're here to raise a ruckus, then please go somewhere else. We can get that on Yahoo! or TMF anytime we want, and we don't want it here.

Nords said:
Mike, that's what moderators are for.

You can come back in as many different identities & IP addresses as you want, and TH can even show you how to do it.

What's objectionable is the behavior. You can choose to behave or to not behave.

Examples of not behaving can be edited/deleted by the moderators and will be. Kindly keep in mind that the moderators respond to the board member's reporting of the posts they find objectionable, and you're currently leading the pack. It's not a place you want to be.

If you're here to engage in a dialogue that most would not find objectionable, then you're welcome to behave here.

If you're here to raise a ruckus, then please go somewhere else. We can get that on Yahoo! or TMF anytime we want, and we don't want it here.

Why on earth would I wish to change my identity? How idiotic. A leopard doesn't change its spots.

As to raising a ruckus well I am truly mystified.

So, tell me what these folks are objecting to, give me specific examples, quote from some of my posts if needs be. I don't need to know who complained.

Once you do that I will respond.

I don't get the need for chastising Mike here. Perhaps he is obnoxious, true, but that is almost a requirement for male posters. He definitely brings up things that are non-pc. Horrible sin!

I have been hanging around here for almost 3 years. I enjoy it. For the most part, I try to avoid open confrontation, partly because I don't want to appear to be a dolt.

In all this time, I can only remember complaining about one guy, a real psycho who was making abusive and scurrilous posts about some members' wives. There have been a few, very few, other psychos.

If people don't like Mike's posts, why can't they either engage him, or ignore him?

“Teacher, teacher, Johnny said a  bad word!  ::) ::) ::) Can't you please make Johnny behave like a good little girl?”

Ha

HaHa said:
I don't get the need for chastising Mike here. Perhaps he is obnoxious, true, but that is almost a requirement for male posters. He definitely brings up things that are non-pc. Horrible sin!

I have been hanging around here for almost 3 years. I enjoy it. For the most part, I try to avoid open confrontation, partly because I don't want to appear to be a dolt.

In all this time, I can only remember complaining about one guy, a real psycho who was making abusive and scurrilous posts about some members' wives. There have been a few, very few, other psychos.

If people don't like Mike's posts, why can't they either engage him, or ignore him?

“Teacher, teacher, Johnny said a bad word! ::) ::) ::) Can't you please make Johnny behave like a good little girl?”

Ha

Thank you for bringing a little sanity to this place.

Moderator are you listening?

Yes I can be obnoxious. I can be an assh*le.

So what?

HaHa said:
...For the most part, I try to avoid open confrontation, partly because I don't want to appear to be a dolt.

I think you've identified a key element in your behavior and appearance vis-a-vis the party in question.

HaHa said:
Have you forgotten the lengths we went to trying to accomodate *****?

When the moderator mail starts rolling in, Mikey, be sure to stop by & do your share of the heavy lifting. If you ain't helping, then you ain't complaining.

mike-1 said:
So, tell me what these folks are objecting to, give me specific examples, quote from some of my posts if needs be. I don't need to know who complained.
We will.

Use your maturity & judgment to remain within the bounds of polite, or at least acceptable, behavior. You can start by not calling people names or by referring to their opinions/behavior in a pejorative manner. But we're not gonna play "gotcha", either.

If your behavior is deemed offensive, the text is edited or deleted. Repetitive offenses are met with blocking IP addresses. I'm pretty sure that iterative feedback will arrive at an understanding.

Hi all , Been searching and lurking for about 2 years and picking up all sorts of useful information Thank to all of you for covering such great topics.  Since I can't search anymore, with out registering  I thought I'ld join you all - this is actually the first foum I think I've ever written to.  at 45 & 47 we've got just 14 months till we are pension eligble... Now if only these kids weren't still in high school & college...

Nords said:
Use your maturity & judgment to remain within the bounds of polite, or at least acceptable, behavior. You can start by not calling people names or by referring to their opinions/behavior in a pejorative manner. But we're not gonna play "gotcha", either.

If your behavior is deemed offensive, the text is edited or deleted. Repetitive offenses are met with blocking IP addresses. I'm pretty sure that iterative feedback will arrive at an understanding.

This might surprise you but I went through all my posts. Meticulously. Something you obviously have not bothered to do.

1. I wrote: 'How weird. Laurence, you are only too ready to pass judgment upon others. Now does it ever occur to you, yes little ole you, that you have an attitude?'

This was in response to the comment by Laurence about others having an attitude. Pray tell how did I offend by turning the tables on him?

2. I had written ‘as to insulting other posters' intelligence well I am relieved that I have gotten a few intelligent well phrased responses so far and I have made a point of saying so.’

What is so wrong about that?

3. I wrote ‘Martha, you are the second woman here that makes sense’ and to old woman I indicated: You are one of the first intelligent people who has responded so far. Trying to respond to others is a complete waste of my time.'

At least I acknowledged their intelligence. Pray tell, any objections?

4. To another poster who labeled me an ******* I replied sarcastically ‘Bravo, at least you got that bit right’.

Now tell me who did the name calling here while you were asleep at the switch?

5. Laurence wrote ‘It seems blatantly obvious that mike-1 and max are the same person. All this self stroking needs some aloe lotion and some kleenex, max/mike!’ to which I responded ‘Check it out with the moderator. Then it will become blatantly obvious how ignorant your assertion is. Once the facts are established, I would expect a retraction right here on this thread.’

What is so wrong about that?

6. I also stated:

a) ‘If, for instance, I am sarcastic or indulge in poetic license, I expect most, even those with mediocre intelligence, to be able to get my drift’

b) ‘Maybe some here might learn a thing or two and also manage not to be so bloody thin skinned?’

c) ‘As to the reaction so far to a serious topic I must say it is juvenile’.

In these three instances no posters were singled out for criticism or named. It was, and still is, my opinion. So what is so wrong about that?

Conclusion:

You have the nerve to write 'You can start by not calling people names or by referring to their opinions/behavior in a pejorative manner'.

My response:

If you want to moderate around here then at least get your facts straight. If you want to accuse then make sure your allegations hold water. Or is that too much to expect?

Don't make me stop this car! :mad:
Y'all behave!

5j404 said:
Hi all , Been searching and lurking for about 2 years and picking up all sorts of useful information Thank to all of you for covering such great topics.  Since I can't search anymore, with out registering  I thought I'ld join you all - this is actually the first foum I think I've ever written to.  at 45 & 47 we've got just 14 months till we are pension eligble... Now if only these kids weren't still in high school & college...
Welcome to the board, 5J!

5j404 said:
Hi all , Been searching and lurking for about 2 years and picking up all sorts of useful information Thank to all of you for covering such great topics. Since I can't search anymore, with out registering I thought I'ld join you all - this is actually the first foum I think I've ever written to. at 45 & 47 we've got just 14 months till we are pension eligble... Now if only these kids weren't still in high school & college...

Morning 5J... Yes, welcome. Please excuse our li'll squabble. As a longtime lurker, you already know that this sort of bandwidth hogging behavior is the exception, not the rule. Like you, still have one in the nest and one near, both attending the local U. My countdown clock is at half-past ready, but in the interest of Prudence, will probably tough it out for another year or two. *

dc

Good to see other military or retired military. I am still US Air Force Reserve and still 8 years and my wife 7 years from our civilian retirement. Between active duty, reserves and my civilian career, I am ready to stop and smell the roses. I know my wife is. We too plan to retire to the gulf coast. I did notice a post that brings something to mind. I have a couple of friends who have been retired for a few years now. When they were working, they were tough, competitive guys. Now retired, they are out of that game and are about as laided back and mellow as one can get. So, I guess retirement does give one a whole new reference of what is important. Anyway, I am also looking forward to hearing from any retired military, especially if they have any heads up on benefit changes or cuts.

RF-4WAD said:
Good to see other military or retired military.  I am still US Air Force Reserve and still 8 years and my wife 7 years from our civilian retirement.
RF-4,

I'm a retired submariner and my spouse is on the glide slope to retiring from the Navy Reserve-- 15 more months.

As for changes to military benefits, take a look at this thread.

Crossing over to the light Wed Apr 28

Just had my exit interview with the Director. We combined it with a little guitar jam, he just having acquired a new Tacoma Dreadnought. It was surreal, him asking me about my storied (lol) career, what I could pass on to him for future use, and answering a few questions about the upcoming budget, while in between we played "Little Wing" and various made up Blues tunes.

I'll post a "How I got Here" on a new thread. Tomorrow absolutely it. I'm hauling the last few boxes of accumulated crap er, ah stuff out to the truck tonight.

So glad to after 2 years of mostly lurking to finally join up!
JonnyM_Jammin.gif

JonnyM

Just joined up  :D.  I'm going on 57yo, and retired at 48yo.  Since then I've lived in Asia for over 3yrs, and though back in the USA now, I'll be moving back to Asia by the end of the year. 

Within just days after retiring from GM, I could see my universe expanding like a Big Bang.  No longer held by my job, my options, both local and far reaching were suddenly endless for the first time since I was a teenager!

Retirement is just the best thing EVER !  I would never go back to a 5 day a week job because I was bored or some such nonsense..man if you can't find something to do with the remaining years of your life other than stay at the company, you just aren't trying. IMHO

These are the good old days, and it's now or never brother.  I'm only receiving about $28K a year pension, but there's so much to do for free or near-free within a few hours drive, who cares about $28K? 

Still making a house payment too.  But things are fine, let me tell you...

So, after I sell my house I'm off to foreign shores again with some internet and local business ideas in mind.  If they work I'll stay for up to 5yrs or so.  If they don't, I'll be back in the US sooner than planned and pursuing some endeavors here.

I enjoy the internet frontier, so I really don't consider it work.  I do it when I want and relax when I want.

I've got a friend still working at the same job I had who is 61yo now. He could have retired 10yrs ago but he's still in that rut (the work's easy though) and even though he's single, he's up to 3 cars in the garage as he drives 50 miles one way to work to pay for them.

He bristles at the subject of retirement, so I've given up on persuading him to grab what few years are left for himself instead of continuing to be a company drone.

I sold my Viper and Harley in preparation for the move back to Asia, and am just waiting out the sale of the home.

I'm not that big on Asia having lived over there so long.  But if there's money to be made I'll tough it out.  I've known more than a few Chinese here in the US, and many of them aren't in a hurry to back either oddly enough.

Oh it's hypnotic for 6mos or so, but then you start remembering everything you don't have access to anymore and for me at least the thrill was gone...

Anyway, I'm going to read over the thread here more and more each day and see what's to know  8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom