Introduce yourself here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dropping in after viewing for a time. I just turned 50 y/o and just retired as of today. Not sure how it feels yet after all the retirement partying last night. But, I have so much to do and some fun hobbies. Will keep you up to date on how it goes.

Ron

Hey, congrats! Jealous! You made it by my agressive target date (I'm 32 now). Welcome to the board.

Honey tea and lemon to help with the partying, or just hair of the dog it....

Welcome to the board, Rondalw, and congratulations!

Laurence said:
Honey tea and lemon to help with the partying, or just hair of the dog it....
I'm confused, Laurence-- why would an ER care about sobering up?

You guys are killing me. Meanwhile I just found out I'm working Saturday, flying out Tuesday, and not coming back until two weeks from tomorrow. I deserve a big raise....

Ha ha. Well if it makes you feel better, my wife wants me to go do some yard work.

Last thing I wanna do right now is go fire up the chipper and see what I can put into it :(

Hello, I thought it is time for me to come out. I've lurked for a few years, as I fine tuned my dreams. Now I am really REALLY thinking about FIREing, because my job is becoming more of a drag on my happiness then ever before. I am 45 and feel like I've been working for 90 years.

My dream job never happened. I wanted to be a forest ranger, live in the wilderness, and be bohemian, but I had a family to raise. As much as I really did NOT want to be corporate, I did. My first day at my cubicle job I set up a spreadsheet to track my retirement progress. I still use the exact same spreadsheet, never switched to any organized software. It's messy and cumbersoome, but it works for me. :D

My original goal was 40, but I got sucked into the tech-investing thing and my pot of money that I had been growing went south for a few (okay more than a few) years. I am back to financial health now, and feel like I am "almost" at the KMA stage. If I had to walk away today, I could survive on a very furgal budget. But I know the longer I eek it out, the better off I will be, but the KMA feeling is blissful.

So thanks for the board, because it is my respite. I come here to remind myself that I am not crazy, and that just because no one I discuss my goal with realy believes I could pull it off (I like to think their disbelief is really midguided jealosy), I know i can.

I live very simply, and if not for the health insurance, could live easily on $20,000 a year. That is not my goal, just my bottom. I am amazed at how much other people feel they need to retire. I know I am not the norm, and it is nice to find a group that has at least some members who "get it" when it comes to simple living and getting away from the need to constantly be a consumer and spend.

When I first started the retirement plan, I had a baby in tow, no spouse, I trailer, and $600. Every dollar I am worth today I earned myself, through paychecks and planning and saving. Even paid 100% of my baby's college education in cash. My parents gave me nothing, there is no inheritance, no gifts, no spousal free rides, everything I have was obtained through SWEAT equity. Sorry if I sound braggish. It's just that it was no small feat.

Needless to say, I'm tired. I'm ready. I am "this close". It's a GREAT FEELING!!!!

Okay, thank you for readng my intro. I can be a jabberjaw, so don't be surprised if I show up on many threads... :LOL:

Queeneev

Welcome to the board, Queen. Have you set a retirement date yet, or are you waiting for someone to pull your KMA trigger?

That glorious time is almost here. :D I have 13 more working days until KMA time. Thought it would never get here. About me: 55 yo, happily married (54 yo), two daughters, one off the paycheck, one still needs occasional help, one darling grandson. We have a paid off house , 3 vehicles and one boat. No debt. We have ~ $160K in taxed investments including $50K in MM. We have ~ $1M in IRA/401K. My company subsidizes retiree healthcare. We will pay ~ $400 /mo this year. DW will continue to work 3 day weeks until she is 59 or so (I hope). Will be moving everything to VG index funds in the next few months. Our basic yearly expenses are ~ $28K. We plan to live off of ~ $48K per year for the first few years to see how our investments perform. All the planning, saving, etc. is finally going to pay off.

Yesterday, a contract outfit in my business offered me a contract job paying approx. twice my current salary. It's decision time again. I am going to put them off until at least July as we have some major travelling to do in May/June. We really don't need the money assuming the investments behave but a little more feathering would certainly be nice. What a bummer to have such decisions! ::)

Thank you all for the incestful ;) postings over the year or so that I have been semi-lurking. This is a great place! I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

peakanese said:
That glorious time is almost here. :D I have 13 more working days until KMA time.
Welcome to the board, Peak.

You'll have to make sure we get an update in 14 days to see how you're handling the transition...

New to forum

First time on the board. Hello to all.

I discovered this board yesterday and am impressed with the topics and material discussed. I'll be 40 in August and the nightmares have started so I thought I'd step up the process to ER by 50.

Looking forward to participating.

bostonjoe

I am 54 and my beautiful wife is 51. I was a HS science teacher. Just was told of this forum today. Had a job I loved. Then several events turned my dream job into a nightmare in less than 12 months. It can happen.

I tore a rotator cuff reaching quickly for something at school. Three operations and many painkillers later, my right shoulder was deemed irrepairable and the State of Mich told me to go out on Disability Retirement. I did not need too much encouragement by that time.

Our new superintendent decided to go on a witch hunt to try to force as many veteran teachers as possible to resign/early retirement. He made life a living you know what. His goal was to balance the bottom line in the district. Nothing personal.

He was able to force several 20-30 yr teachers out, in spite of the union. I was in his crosshairs and he was trying to find ANYTHING to leverage on me. This was while I was going through three operations in 11 months. I was staying in the classroom with only 2-3 days recuperation from the open surgeries, I had complications after each of these failed operations. Stress was extraordinary.

My wife and I started running into many couples who were full timing in RVs. We never ran into anyone previous to this who was doing this. It was like we were being pushed in a certain direction. Everything fell into place, but not with a struggle.

The State approved my Disability Retirement and SS turned me down (standard procedure). Appeal is March 19. I have done much research and the Teachers Union is representing me. No guarantees, but chances of approval are good as per my "unnamed sources" I was able to get info out of.

We have purchased our dream 5th wheel and diesel pickup to pull it. We are currently staying for the winter in a RV Park in Davenport, FL, about 10 miles south of Disney. Wife is now working part time as a server at Port Orleans resort, so we can enjoy the incredible perks associated with that - Free Disney, major discounts for family for lodging in Disney. Free admission 6 times a year for up to 3 family members. Many area retail stores/resturaunts give Disney employees discounts also. GREAT! I love wandering around in Disney for free.

April 30 it is back to NW Lower Mich for the summer where our 3 kids and 5 grandkids are. Life is getting better. But some financial matters need to be resolved yet.

Welcome dsprik, i hope everything goes your way. Soyry to here about your shoulder. I hope it doesn't cause you too much discomfort.

dsprik said:
We have purchased our dream 5th wheel and diesel pickup to pull it. We are currently staying for the winter in a RV Park in Davenport, FL, about 10 miles south of Disney.

What does it cost you to stay there? Is it a daily, weekly or monthly rate. Does your sholder make this type of lifestyle difficult? I hope not and again welcome!

Welcome, Dsprik. There are quite a few RVers here, though other than Audrey, I can't think of any other fulltimers. DW and I have a nice Great West Class B Sprinter that we enjoy quite a bit, though mostly for long weekends and maybe one week outings.

Enjoy your freedom and good luck with the appeal.

Thanks, Rich! We really do love this lifestyle so far.

jdw_fire, the monthly rates for 5 mo stays run anywhere from $350-$650. We opted for the lower end. Nice park, close to Disney. My shoulder is sore if I do too much, but it is worth it for the lifestyle. If I take it easy it's OK.

We can go anywhere - Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Blue Ridge Mtns, etc - and we are home, overlooking some of the most spectacular scenery in this country. We can stay as long as we want. Leave when we like.

Just Starting to Snoop Around

Hello Everyone! I am still attached to a paying job. So is my wife. We've been toying around with at least one of us quitting - probably the wife first. We've become so accustomed to working it's hard to consider life without a job. There would be plenty to do if we quit - volunteer, spend time with family, all the usual stuff.

Money is not so much the issue as the psychology of not working. I stumbled across the forum the other day and have found lots of useful information already. Don't know how I went this long without knowing about the web site. Maybe the information we find here will provide the kick we need to make the transition.

Favorite books on the topic are: Richest Man In Babylon (that started me off in the right direction over 20 years ago), Your Money or Your Life, The Wealthy Barber, Millionaire Next Door, The Number, The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need, the list goes on and on...

Thanks, nvestysly

Re: Just Starting to Snoop Around

Welcome to the board, Nvestysly.

nvestysly said:
Favorite books on the topic are: Richest Man In Babylon (that started me off in the right direction over 20 years ago), Your Money or Your Life, The Wealthy Barber, Millionaire Next Door, The Number, The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need, the list goes on and on...

Sounds like you guys are ready for just about any book by Ernie Zelinski, starting with "How to Retire Happy, Wild, & Free"...

Hello, I am Redpony

I am 43 years old and live in SO. California.

I have many questions but will read past threads/posts to see if I am in the right place.

Hey Redpony -

You are in the right place if you wanna retire as early as possible w/ less worry. I have been a regular since April of 06 - and frankly, I can't believe how much I have learned. I am in a whole new place in reguards to investing and protecting my nest egg. I retired July 1st of 06 at 49 - in no small part because of the messages absorbed here.

So enjoy the free advice and the characters on this forum - I sure have.

Good luck and give more info to get some feedback.

Donzo

Looking toward 55

I'm currenty 51 and looking toward an approximate goal of retiring of 2010. I have been lurking for about a week now and want to join in and learn more. I have my investments mainly in my IRA with about 1.2M currently with $200K in home equity. My guestimate bale-out from work # is from 1.5M to 2.0M using the 72t method of tapping the IRA. I am interested in the thoughts of others on the wisdom of using this method. My expenses are now about 56k / year including a $2000 monthly mortgage (balance of $180k) that I would like to extinguish by either paying off early or down-sizing. Thanks in advance for this group and the time that you take in sharing your ideas.

:)dog

Re: Looking toward 55

smileydog said:
I'm currenty 51 and looking toward an approximate goal of retiring of 2010. I have been lurking for about a week now and want to join in and learn more. I have my investments mainly in my IRA with about 1.2M currently with $200K in home equity. My guestimate bale-out from work # is from 1.5M to 2.0M using the 72t method of tapping the IRA. I am interested in the thoughts of others on the wisdom of using this method. My expenses are now about 56k / year including a $2000 monthly mortgage (balance of $180k) that I would like to extinguish by either paying off early or down-sizing. Thanks in advance for this group and the time that you take in sharing your ideas.

Welcome Smiley!

Any chance you can roll your IRA into current employer plan? If you can and then sever employment during the year or after you turn age 55... You would have unfettered access to the funds. I am debating a 72T myself and still researching the fine points and exploring other options I have. What's the old sayiing abount an ounce of prevention?

Take care,

Connie

Thanks for the idea Connie! I will definitely inquire about that option. I transfered the 401k into the traditional IRA that I currently have three years ago where it has grown to it's present value. If sure would be great if I could move things around and avoid the rules of the 72t plan. It is my understanding that if I begin the 72t at age 55 I would have to continue that withdrawal amount for 5 years or age 59.5 - whichever is longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom