Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Introduce yourself here!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieRed
I live in a very cold, high tax state and am looking to get out by no later than May...temporarily picked TN or TX for tax, cost of living and weather reasons.
I won't argue the weather issue, but have you ever seen the property taxes in Texas?

What kind of tax are you trying to reduce? Being retired the property tax is the most evil, in that you cannot control it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I won't argue the weather issue, but have you ever seen the property taxes in Texas?
Much obliged, C-T.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #583
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Much obliged, C-T.

ReWahoo: It's clear in our area, the only problem is the greens are frozen so no deal.

Don't think for a minute you're going to get off the hook by claiming high
property taxes. (We're coming anyway).

What our friend Cut-Throat, and a lot of posters on this forum fail to recognize about Texas, and a point you probably understand is this:

A typical home in Texas, last I checked, not long ago valued at $200,000
would probably be 2 and a half times on most areas of the West Coast,
and probably also on the Eastern Seaboard close to a Metro Area.

In other words, this same house, same eminities, etc. in Calif. for a new owner in Calif. would be about $5500.00 property taxes. (I would be surprised if a $200,000.00 home in Texas would produce higher property taxes than that. How about it?

Added to the fact that you have no State Income Tax, pretty tempting.

Of course, you can hang your hat on Scorpions, Humidity, etc. but you're going to have to work at it.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

Don't think for a minute you're going to get off the hook by claiming high
property taxes. (We're coming anyway).

What our friend Cut-Throat, and a lot of posters on this forum fail to recognize about Texas, and a point you probably understand is this:

A typical home in Texas, last I checked, not long ago valued at $200,000
would probably be 2 and a half times on most areas of the West Coast,
and probably also on the Eastern Seaboard close to a Metro Area.

In other words, this same house, same eminities, etc. in Calif. for a new owner in Calif. would be about $5500.00 property taxes. (I would be surprised if a $200,000.00 home in Texas would produce higher property taxes than that. How about it?
You old son-of-a-lumberjack, that's not too far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

Of course, you can hang your hat on Scorpions, Humidity, etc. but you're going to have to work at it.
I've been holding back on you. Keep this up and you're gonna force me to bring out the heavy weapons.

Even if someone can get past the scorpions, rattlesnakes, mosquitoes, fire ants, wild hogs, rabid skunks, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, frequent tornadoes & hailstorms, recurring floods, wildfires, water shortages, rednecks, unbelievably high property taxes, and lack of real estate appreciation...and actually move here, the final kicker is they could end up with a neighbor like this. Do you feel lucky?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #585
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Crap

You guys are making me homesick for the Louisiana Swamp.

heh heh heh heh - a little snow on the ground north of Kansas City but ok so far.

11 degrees and the sun is shining.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #586
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I've been holding back on you. Keep this up and you're gonna force me to bring out the heavy weapons.

Even if someone can get past the scorpions, rattlesnakes, mosquitoes, fire ants, wild hogs, rabid skunks, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, frequent tornadoes & hailstorms, recurring floods, wildfires, water shortages, rednecks, unbelievably high property taxes, and lack of real estate appreciation...and actually move here, the final kicker is they could end up with a neighbor like this. Do you feel lucky?

Awesome gun, but why is it on skis?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Awesome gun, but why is it on skis?
Skis? Laurence, those are anti-scorpion skids...

Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Crap

You guys are making me homesick for the Louisiana Swamp.
I would have thought you'd be enjoying the Saint's march to the Superbowl so much you wouldn't miss the swamp a bit.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #589

Quote:

You left out GREAT fishing!!! I live in northwest Louisiana now, but lived in & around the Austin area for 15 years. Good stuff & bad stuff, you have to decide what's important. I admit it's like somebody else said recently, Austin isn't the same as the rest of Texas. I lived in Bastrop County, about 35 miles east of Austin, and I really liked it. Had to move for the job, though. It's scenic with the pine trees, easy commute to Austin if you need to see the big city (Bastrop pop. is less than 6000) and the people are friendly. Rolling hills, a couple of smaller lakes with good fishin' and the Colorado River runs right through town. For very low property taxes, move to Louisiana. Sportsmans Paradise, and you get a $75000 property tax exemption on your primary residence. The NW corner of the state has outstanding freshwater fishing, and while I don't hunt anymore, it's very popular here. Lots of on-the-water duck hunters. Downsides are bumpy roads (not all), not the best schools, and a reputation as a backwards state. Did I mention fantastic fishing? If you're into water sports like fishing & boating, it's hard to beat Louisiana. Also, I'm not sure if all, but I do know that govt. type pensions arent' taxed by the state. Nother plus is the relatively low cost of real estate, but of course that depends on what you're comparing it to.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 01-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #590
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi I am a 50 year old Federal Law Enforcement Officer and have 33 years of total Federal Service. I am retiring on January 31, 2007.

Ron
Old 01-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #591
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondalw
Hi I am a 50 year old Federal Law Enforcement Officer and have 33 years of total Federal Service. I am retiring on January 31, 2007.

Ron
Congratulations! How do you plan to fill your days?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #592

Ron, hi! I'm a fed too, but unfortunately I still have 6 yrs to go (not an LE just a regular CSRS'er). You're at the right place for ER info, but you probably already know that from checking out the site.

Be sure to post some info about yourself & more about your situation so we can get to know ya better! Welcome!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 01-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #593
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Skis? Laurence, those are anti-scorpion skids...

There must just be something about the Y chromosome, but as funny as the picture is, the gun is still really cool lookin' an' I wanna shoot at some sand-filled 2 litre bottles with it!
Old 01-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #594
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't he star in "Thunderbolt & Lightfoot" with Clint Eastwood & George Kennedy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
There must just be something about the Y chromosome, but as funny as the picture is, the gun is still really cool lookin' an' I wanna shoot at some sand-filled 2 litre bottles with it!
I think the only way to see if you've hit the target (not vaporized it) would be to start with 55-gallon oil drums filled with concrete...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think the only way to see if you've hit the target (not vaporized it) would be to start with 55-gallon oil drums filled with concrete...
I personally know someone who has a 50 cal. "shoulder cannon" not a whole lot different than the one in the picture. And your idea of the 55-gal concrete filled drums isn't too far off base....actually I'd say two 55-gal., set one in front of the other......these words spoken from experience! : A solid hillside behind them is advisable too....."just in case".....As my Grandad used to say....."WOW-ee BOY!!!"
Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #596
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi,

I am new to this Forum. As a matter of fact, it is my first forum. So...when I make a mess of what I am trying to show, read or express...Well, laughing is good...!

I just wanted to know what the facts are about Retiring Early if you are basically forced to.

Anyones input is better than I have at the moment. None.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #597
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, BATM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkAtTheMoon22
Anyones input is better than I have at the moment. None.
Well, then, it's hard to go wrong!

We'll move this discussion over to your separate post...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Re: Introduce yourself here!Pl
Old 01-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #598
Dryer sheet wannabe

Re: Introduce yourself here!Pl

Hi,
I am finally de-cloaking after one year of lurking. Or should that be de-lurking after being cloaked. In either case I want to thank everyone for the wonderful information that is presented by the members of this forum. I have learned a lot here. I have read most of the investment books recommended here either from the library or actually own.
Now, to a little bit about myself. I am 64 and the DW is 66, we are both retired. I retired September of 05 from what would be called a megacorp after 37 years with them. They had a few name changes along the way due to being bought and sold but all the bennies? followed, except for the very last change in '95. That change required me to essentially quit one division and go to work for another division. That meant that one DB ended and another one started from scratch. I just got fed-up with the little stuff and also got burned out with what I was doing and didn't see any changes in the near future.
I was lucky that one of the bennies? was a DB (non COLA), actually I get two DBs from the same company. Part of the last job change in '95. My DW and I also are taking SS. These four things together provides for all our living expenses so we have no need to withdraw anything from our IRAs.
All of my money is with Vanguard in a well diversified portfolio of mutual funds. In part thanks to this forum and to the books I've read. I do not own any stocks as I learned sometime in the 80's that I was a very bad stock picker.
I'm not what this forum would consider a RE but I am FI and R(etired) so call me FIR.
I hope this first post isn't too long and boring. I've wanted to reply to some of the posts but thought it would be a good idea to at least introduce myself first. So you might see more of me now.
Please forgive my spelling, my DW says I am the worst speller and I agree. I was an engineer and that is what spell checkers are for.

Larry
Old 01-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #599
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello everyone,

After lurking for a few weeks, I decided to join in the fray...

I'm really impressed with the discussions here, and with the materials available. I don't know how anyone would be able to learn what's needed to RE without this site. After doing my homework, I feel much more confident about how to go about taking this step.

Yes, after 28 years of designing computer chips for Megacorp, I'm starting to think seriously about RE. My youngest will graduate from college this year, and DW and I have a nice nest egg to draw from. (Thank you stock options and the .com bubble!) It seems strange that at 50 I might actually be able kick back a little. Now I'm waiting for the right time.

My biggest reservation is that if I RE before 55, I lose the subsidized medical, but I think I can cover it on my own.

I look forward to reading these topics, and joining in where I can contribute.

Sand Pounder
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #600
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Sand Pounder.

With the wealth of health insurance info on this board, I think you'll be the informed consumer from hell. Bridging the gap to Medicare might not be as scary as it looks...

Closed Thread