Introduce yourself here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Ted

It looks like you have a good idea about how the board works.

Young Dreamers is a good place to post but other forums, like FIRE and Money might be helpful for your planning.

Asking interesting questions is a good way to contribute since it gets everyone thinking.

Hi everyone,
My name is Nate and I am a 22 year old graduate student (starting august 27) at Texas A&M. I did my undergrad at the University of Florida in Mechanical engineering. Both me and my girlfriend are beginning work on our masters/PhDs in less than a month; me in Mechanical and her in Chemistry. Both of us are prepared to begin our retirement funds (they may combine one day who knows ;) ) and are lucky in the sense that both of us have scholarships for tuition, health care, and living expenses ($16k/year for me to live on and $24k/year for her to live on.) So we will be graduating debt free and will be entering the work force at full speed. We want to begin our savings asap though because of course it will take 4-5 years for the degrees and to not save now is forfeiting a lot of money towards retirement.

I look forward to receiving lots of advice and making many new friendships here in the future.

-Nate

Beer Budget Retirement

Last edited:
Welcome Nate to the Boards

I think that there is plenty here for you, such as the Young Dreams forum. Getting a good education is a great start to life, IMHO. Look forward to seeing your posts.

Can't Make Up My Mine

Welcome!

This is the place to introduce yourself to the others.

We suggest you create a new topic when you introduce yourself, rather than replying to this message or someone else's introduction.
Hello group, I'm a 55 yr old male that's in a unique situation. I been working for the Municipal government here in Houston for the pass 28 years in the Public Works & Engineering Dept. I been in the same Dept and basically the same division the whole time. I work in the finance area. My situation is this, I been eligible to retire for the pass 6 years, I went into DROP,that's(Deferred Retirement) along about that time and been able to build up a comfortable retirement account. With my government pension and interest from my DROP account I could make several thousand dollar a year more than i'm making in salary now. Most people i talk to encourages me to take the full retirement and get out. What most people don't understand is I still enjoy what i do most day. I"m in charge of the payment of multi million dollar projects and services and have to be on my toes most of the time.
About 2 years ago most of the Upper management retired or was replaced. The new management shows little appreciation for what I do for the origanization. They trust me to take care of high dollar projects,but when it comes to promotions or good raises seems there is always some reason to leave me out. I',m not happy about that. I make a very comfortable salary but at this time being happy on the job is more important to me than the money. I have been able to build up a very comfortable retirement fund and if i leave i will continue health benefits. I will have no bills and all 3 of my children have finish college and working professional jobs. What i really need advice on is what is some things i can do to break the emotional ties i have to the job. I do very little once i get off work. I moved out into a gated community and know very few people in the neighborhood. I would like some suggestion on ways to ease myself away from a good job.:(

Hello group, I'm a 55 yr old male that's in a unique situation. I been working for the Municipal government here in Houston for the pass 28 years in the Public Works & Engineering Dept. I been in the same Dept and basically the same division the whole time. I work in the finance area. My situation is this, I been eligible to retire for the pass 6 years, I went into DROP,that's(Deferred Retirement) along about that time and been able to build up a comfortable retirement account. With my government pension and interest from my DROP account I could make several thousand dollar a year more than i'm making in salary now. Most people i talk to encourages me to take the full retirement and get out. What most people don't understand is I still enjoy what i do most day. I"m in charge of the payment of multi million dollar projects and services and have to be on my toes most of the time.
About 2 years ago most of the Upper management retired or was replaced. The new management shows little appreciation for what I do for the origanization. They trust me to take care of high dollar projects,but when it comes to promotions or good raises seems there is always some reason to leave me out. I',m not happy about that. I make a very comfortable salary but at this time being happy on the job is more important to me than the money. I have been able to build up a very comfortable retirement fund and if i leave i will continue health benefits. I will have no bills and all 3 of my children have finish college and working professional jobs. What i really need advice on is what is some things i can do to break the emotional ties i have to the job. I do very little once i get off work. I moved out into a gated community and know very few people in the neighborhood. I would like some suggestion on ways to ease myself away from a good job.:(

My first guess was:

Is it possible that your upper management is envious of your good financial position?

It might be a reason you don't get raises.

Was Lurking - Now a Member

Hello Everyone,

Looking forward to learning and understanding when we can take the plunge. I had a number in my head and now the number is growing.... When/how do you know when you've reached the number? 4% seems low - I had planned on 5% since we are achieving that simply on stock dividends alone. I know there are some items we have not considered so let the learning begin...

Troy
Welcome to the boards.

Yes, you are facing a very big lifestyle change, its obviously not just the money but how much of your self image is invested in the job. You have lots to think about but there are plenty of people here to discuss your options.

Hello Everyone,

Looking forward to learning and understanding when we can take the plunge. I had a number in my head and now the number is growing.... When/how do you know when you've reached the number? 4% seems low - I had planned on 5% since we are achieving that simply on stock dividends alone. I know there are some items we have not considered so let the learning begin...
Welcome to bhe board. I think that there are lots of interesting posts in the FIRE and Money discussing that magic number.

Hi all

We are locking this thread and encouraging every new member to start their own personal thread using the new thread button on the upper left hand corner of the window. You all are worth it.

Thanks
The Forum Administration

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom