Introducing myself

Candy83

Dryer sheet aficionado
This is my first post.

I'm facing a disability retirement. Details of what I would get are not yet known, other than being aware that I would retain medical insurance and vision coverage. There would be a switch with dental.

At this point, I don't know if the retirement will actually come through. But I did a search on discussion boards, found this one, and I imagine I will participate should that disability retirement become official.

Sorry if this is vague. I am a little reluctant to get detailed. But I will say that I am young.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry about your situation. I don't see a question in your post.

As a first step, I suggest you get a detailed budget of what your current living costs are. Second, estimate to the best of your ability what the disability amount is likely to be. Factor in what other assets you may have available using about 3% of those being available for living expenses. That will tell you roughly how much of an adjustment you will need to quickly make in your lifestyle.

It will also make a big difference if your disability is COLAd or not.

When you get your numbers, go to FireCalc and see what the program says.

Welcome aboard. There are many knowledgeable helpful folks here, though your situation may be a little different than most here who will/have retired in their 50's ± 10 years. Best of luck come what may...

Very sorry to hear of your disability.

The earlier one 'retires', the more careful one has to be. This is especially difficult as you may not have been thinking about it as long as most of us have.

If you are new here, you may not be aware of FireCalc and other aids. You could start here: Retirement Planning Resources - Early-Retirement.org Links Directory

Back
Top Bottom