Introduction

hogwild

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been reading the posts here for a few months. It's a great forum and I read it everyday. I have finally got around to registering and I hope that I can contribute as well as learn. I have plans to ER in about 31 months (end of '08). I am an engineer for a large telecommunications company and have been with the same company over 30 years.
Anyway, thanks for all the information and tips so far.

hogwild

Hogwild,

Welcome aboard. By the way, only an engineer would write "I plan to retire in about 31 months" ;)

30 years in one company--that's unusual today. Lots of folks in that position are considering taking the lump-sum instead of a monthly check from their defined-benefit plan. I guess it depends on how the numbers work out and your assessment of the company's (or its successor's) ability/willingness to keep their promisses.

Welcome to the board, Hogwild. Like the man said to Dirty Harry, "I gots to know": how did you choose your poster name?

samclem said:
I guess it depends on how the numbers work out and your assessment of the company's (or its successor's) ability/willingness to keep their promisses.
After 30+ years with CBS my FIL took the lump sum and ran for exactly those reasons.

Sam,

Thanks very much.  Yeah, I'm afraid the engineer in me is know part of my DNA.  I get that kind of comment all the time.
I'm fortunate that I will have a pension as well as a lump sum profit sharing distribution.  My company is ceasing adding to the existing pensions in 3 years.  New hires will not get a pension.  That is the trend now days.
I do have decisions to make as to the pension.  I have the option to take a lifetime pension or take an approximately doubled amount for 10 years only.  I think I will take the latter.

I can hear it now, woo pig sooie. Just don't holler too loudly. Welcome.

If the Pension was fully indexed and had full survivor benefits,a nd had Health benefits, I'd opt for 20 years.

Less taxes as well.

I ran the options for 10 years and lifetime and the 10 year wins everytime. I'll try the 20 year option and see what shakes out.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom