Introduction from a 9 year forum member

flintnational

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello! I have been a forum member and frequent reader since 2008. I greatly appreciate all of information and the occasional humor provided by the members. Thank you.

About us -

My DW FIRED 4 years ago at 53 and I FIRED 3 years ago also at 53. We were fortunate to have two mega corp jobs with good salaries. Like many on this forum, we saved from an early age. We live in the Southeast and benefit from a reasonable cost of living. Currently we are living on our savings only and have a WR of about 3%.

Our investments -

Like many here, we are primarily index investors (Vanguard). Currently we have an investment mix of 70% stocks and 30% other. The "other" category includes cash, short term treasuries, a commercial mortgage and a rental property. The stock portfolio is comprised of 70% US stocks and 30% international. The US portion has small cap and value tilts. The international has an emerging market tilt. We are 3 years into retirement and our investments have grown over 10% even with the 3% WR. :dance:

The future -

We have moderate non-cola pensions (about 1/3 of our current budget) that we will take in a few years. We are both also eligible for SS.

Do we like being FIRED ? -

My DW says, "I will have to miss a few meals before I would go back to work". So, yes we are enjoying our retirement. Once again, thank each of your for your comments and guidance over the years.

FN

"I will have to miss a few meals before I would go back to work".

That's a keeper!

What a great first post -- after signing up so long ago!

Michael, Euro and BCG, thank you.

BCG, the DW weighs 105 lbs. It takes on a special meaning when she is willing to forgo food.

FN

It's all good...favorite response to cashiers asking "how are you today?"
"Just livin' the dream!"

I was standing on line many years ago, the cashier asked this to an older customer who was ahead of me. He had to be wanting some one to ask him this. He went on a tirade that was amazing, His response was he had jock itch, his teenager daughter was pregnant, and his wife was having an affair on him. I busted out laughing at the jock itch, I didnt hear the rest, someone had to fill me in on the other items. Takes all kinds. The cashier didnt ask me how I was doing. I wouldn't have been able to answer, I was still howling. :LOL:

... My DW says, "I will have to miss a few meals before I would go back to work".

Heck, we miss meals quite often by choice for health reasons.

So, it takes more than that for us to go back to work.

Heck, we miss meals quite often by choice for health reasons.

So, it takes more than that for us to go back to work.

I read the OMY posts and I can only think they are still in w*rk mode. Once you FIRE, I think few of us would go back short of a compelling reason. We would shift the budget or come up with other cost cutting options. Returning to w*rk is not on the list. And, we enjoyed our careers. :LOL:

I'd say welcome, except you've been here longer than I have. :) So I'll just say I hope we hear more from you in the future and congrats on making your plan work!

I read the OMY posts and I can only think they are still in w*rk mode. Once you FIRE, I think few of us would go back short of a compelling reason. We would shift the budget or come up with other cost cutting options. Returning to w*rk is not on the list. And, we enjoyed our careers. :LOL:

+1.
Before I retired (just last month), DW aligned on "plan B" (and plan C) should financial SHTF. Those include cost cutting options and moving to international low COL area(s). W*rk is not included in any contingency planning.

+1.
Before I retired (just last month), DW aligned on "plan B" (and plan C) should financial SHTF. Those include cost cutting options and moving to international low COL area(s). W*rk is not included in any contingency planning.

Congratulations on your retirement. After about a year of retirement, I went from fear of not having a job/income/title to wondering why I did not FIRE sooner.

"FIRE - the cure for OMY syndrome" :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom