Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2021, 09:12 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearefinishedworking View Post
Good morning! We had always planned to be retired by 62 and I made it, just retired this month at age 60. My DH is waiting until age 62. Most of you are much younger than us, but it sure is an amazing thing to accomplish.

We were never high earners, until about 10 years ago when we did a lot of catch-up saving. But even when we were young parents raising 3 children we always lived pretty frugally and saved something along the way. I have lurked around the financial forums and gathered lots of info over the years. Still cannot fathom that we did it and I am finished!

We live in a MCOL, have a paid off home and cars, and about 1.2M.
Congrats. 60 is early retirement. I'll turn 58 next year and seriously want to retire between 58 to 59. Also aiming for 1.2 M - 1.3 M in a low cost southern state.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I’d certainly consider retiring at age 60 to be early retirement. The surveys I found put the average retirement age in the US to be 62. Personally, I’d consider anything under age 65 to be early.

Also keep in mind that about half of workers leave the workforce earlier than they expected. Health and disability, caregiver duties, and changes at work such as layoffs/closures were sited as the common reasons for leaving earlier than expected.

I hope to still have my health and leave the workforce on my terms rather than being forced out for whatever reason. Hopefully this planned retirement will happen for me at around age 55 but I’m only 47 now so it’s still difficult to determine specific retirement dates at this time.

Good luck to you and congrats! Who cares what anyone else thinks? It’s your retirement and I’d argue it’s not early or late but just when you were supposed to go.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
"Early" is a state of mind. Retiring when YOU want to qualifies as "early" in my book. I retired at 58 even though I could have gone earlier. I stayed because it was still fun. The day it wasn't, I bailed out. 16 years later I have few if any regrets. As always, YMMV.
This is a great answer. I also retired at 58 could of went earlier but thought everyone work to at least 62. Lol My wife mentioned to me one day that I need to retire. That got me starting to ER. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:18 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearefinishedworking View Post
Good morning! We had always planned to be retired by 62 and I made it, just retired this month at age 60. My DH is waiting until age 62. Most of you are much younger than us, but it sure is an amazing thing to accomplish.

We were never high earners, until about 10 years ago when we did a lot of catch-up saving. But even when we were young parents raising 3 children we always lived pretty frugally and saved something along the way. I have lurked around the financial forums and gathered lots of info over the years. Still cannot fathom that we did it and I am finished!

We live in a MCOL, have a paid off home and cars, and about 1.2M.
Who cares if its early or what anyone else thinks about it, you did it... so enjoy yourself!!!

Enjoy the Journey!!
brydanger is offline   Reply With Quote
60 for me as well
Old 09-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

60 for me as well

I retired for good at age 60, the wife doing so earlier at about age 56 (she was civil service and would have gained nothing by working longer since she had the required years in the system). It seemed early to me when I stopped but in hindsight it is kinda/sorta early retirement compared to most people our age. Aggressive FIRE people would likely disagree, but to each their own.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I retired at 58 in '18 the DW in '20 at 55 (health issues, but doing better) never had a high income but we are still almost 1%'ers in net worth in the Seattle area. Shocking, as we were not high income earners. Never chased higher housing. But we can do what we want. I just got tired of my long commute since my maga corp moved my office and I got tired of driving our commuter van. I could retire, so I did.
Congrats to all that are able and if the desire is there.
rathail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired right after my 60th birthday. I consider it " slightly early retirement".
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Is age 60 considered early retired?"

60 is plenty young. My wife quit due to work pressure at 50. I was cruising doing part-time contract work for 9 years till 55.

I wish I were 55 now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
U Finished Working! ER’d
Old 09-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

U Finished Working! ER’d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
"Is age 60 considered early retired?"

60 is plenty young. My wife quit due to work pressure at 50. I was cruising doing part-time contract work for 9 years till 55.

I wish I were 55 now.
I just turned the magic age of 55 left the job 6yrs ago

Congrats! Why let us ‘define’ Early for U? I stumbled across this forum few year back setting a calendar date to retire ~ period! I was a Napoleon Hill reader
“Laws of Success” listener to Earl Nightingale -Plan! I continue to be a voracious reader.

Focused on put in time now, retire on my Time! No intermission, just did 30yrs on one gig after misc.
Stumbled across this author name Zelinski he suggested the “Joy of Not Wo*king” lol 😂 and “How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free! Oh, did some frugal things, deferred some sell-gratification most importantly saved, saved, saved! But I believed in Living Large when I could. I think one post (Gumby)
referenced like the Parkers? You mean Jones?

Anyway, congrats again! You deserve it, defined your own path to Freedom! It’s your Time early retiree!

Oh, and thanks to this forum, my latest read came from a post about author Bill Perkins - Die with 0.
I like it even better than Pollan’s “Die Broke” it’s just grand to not have to wo*k IMO anyway.
Live Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:55 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

wafw

Congrats on your Early Retirement !

I retired this year, effective 1-Feb-21, at age 61.

Not as early as some, but earlier than many / most others

It's a wonderful time of life !
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:02 AM   #51

Congratulations!

"Early" is more a function of what others think! The only objective ways to define early IMO, is either statistically or based off of pension eligibility but even those are fairly subjective and tend to cluster in the mid-60's so anything earlier would be "early."

I think the majority of the folks here retired later than the typical FIRE site (but then they seem to be populated more with aspiring millennials or have side gigs or are "barista" fire). I find the folks here to be a bit more sober and the quality of you all is top-notch!

My original goal was 40 (for FI at least) so am I late at 47 or early?! (John Greaney at 38 was my benchmark back in 1999 when I set my original goal) so I feel sort of late. For most people, being retired at 47 would likely seem very early so I don't really use the term "retired" but usually say I'm taking time to find the prefect job (technically true but I am very, very, very picky). I don't hide my status but do only wear my "Retired, Not my problem anymore" T-shirt when traveling away from my neighborhood to avoid any prejudice/jealousy. It is fun to wear it though as I get a few looks!
Old 09-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Large View Post
Stumbled across this author name Zelinski he suggested the “How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free!

Oh, and thanks to this forum, my latest read came from a post about author Bill Perkins - Die with 0.
I like it even better than Pollan’s “Die Broke” it’s just grand to not have to wo*k IMO anyway.
Great to know that others love reading about this retirement stuff. I read both zelinski and Perkins (just finished his this month) and these books encourage me to retire sooner. I’m Not there yet but will probably move up my date when our company requires us to go back to the office (been working remotely from either of my main or 2nd home for 19 months).

Is there an ER.org book club or forum here I should check out?
Old 09-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

congrats on your early retirement! That is a great age in my opinion!
I am about to turn 60 and plan to retire in the next 6-12 months. I'm in mortgage finance and the stress of this business s becoming unbearable so I feel I need to get out soon before I'm permanently stricken with grumpy old man syndrome. My wife is in device sales and can do her job on average in 20-30 hours a week with excellent medical benefits for us, so she will hang in there until she is 63-64 to help bridge the gap to medicare/social security. I think what anyone thinks is early or late retirement is not important if you are mentally and financially prepared. I also think that family medical history can play a part in the decision as well. My family history on my father's side (6 siblings) is average lifespan to 90+, on my mother's side (6 siblings) each member of her family that lived to 65+ has passed in their 70's due to severe dementia/Alzheimer's and it goes back a couple of generations. So, my decision to retire a smidge early is hedged a bit on that part of my family medical history.
SD-455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post

Is there an ER.org book club or forum here I should check out?
This thread, and its predecessors, has hooked me up with many good books over the years.
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2661342