Is age 60 considered early retired?

Congratulations!

"Early" is more a function of what others think! The only objective ways to define early IMO, is either statistically or based off of pension eligibility but even those are fairly subjective and tend to cluster in the mid-60's so anything earlier would be "early."

I think the majority of the folks here retired later than the typical FIRE site (but then they seem to be populated more with aspiring millennials or have side gigs or are "barista" fire). I find the folks here to be a bit more sober and the quality of you all is top-notch!

My original goal was 40 (for FI at least) so am I late at 47 or early?! (John Greaney at 38 was my benchmark back in 1999 when I set my original goal) so I feel sort of late. For most people, being retired at 47 would likely seem very early so I don't really use the term "retired" but usually say I'm taking time to find the prefect job (technically true but I am very, very, very picky). I don't hide my status but do only wear my "Retired, Not my problem anymore" T-shirt when traveling away from my neighborhood to avoid any prejudice/jealousy. It is fun to wear it though as I get a few looks! :dance:

Stumbled across this author name Zelinski he suggested the “How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free!

Oh, and thanks to this forum, my latest read came from a post about author Bill Perkins - Die with 0.
I like it even better than Pollan’s “Die Broke” it’s just grand to not have to wo*k :dance: IMO anyway.

Great to know that others love reading about this retirement stuff. I read both zelinski and Perkins (just finished his this month) and these books encourage me to retire sooner. I’m Not there yet but will probably move up my date when our company requires us to go back to the office (been working remotely from either of my main or 2nd home for 19 months).

Is there an ER.org book club or forum here I should check out?

congrats on your early retirement! That is a great age in my opinion!
I am about to turn 60 and plan to retire in the next 6-12 months. I'm in mortgage finance and the stress of this business s becoming unbearable so I feel I need to get out soon before I'm permanently stricken with grumpy old man syndrome. My wife is in device sales and can do her job on average in 20-30 hours a week with excellent medical benefits for us, so she will hang in there until she is 63-64 to help bridge the gap to medicare/social security. I think what anyone thinks is early or late retirement is not important if you are mentally and financially prepared. I also think that family medical history can play a part in the decision as well. My family history on my father's side (6 siblings) is average lifespan to 90+, on my mother's side (6 siblings) each member of her family that lived to 65+ has passed in their 70's due to severe dementia/Alzheimer's and it goes back a couple of generations. So, my decision to retire a smidge early is hedged a bit on that part of my family medical history.

Back
Top Bottom