Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is there such a thing as RETIREMENT?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Is there such a thing as RETIREMENT?

Hi Everyone: Retired to the middle of the Desert in S. Cal and lovin' it. Well, actually don't think there is such a thing as retirement. Thinking about starting a new business. Something totally different from what I've done in the past.....

Have had lots of unique jobs.... how about you?

What's the mose unique job you've ever held?

Looking forward to the chats....
InCogNEATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, love your screen name and creative use of caps and lower case letters.

OTOH, we may need to do an intervention here! Just kidding. Looking forward to hearing more of your story.

I also have often thought there is no such thing as retirement, but in a different sense than you present it. I noticed years ago that when I was on vacation or had other time off, there was still w*rk to do, that is, I had to pay my bills, rustle up some grub, volunteer, etc. I will never fully retire, but I have no plans to declare any more earned income.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi InCogNEATO. You seem to have a lot of energy.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What kind of SoCal desert? We're headed down to 29 palms, near Joshua Tree & Yucca, next week.

Don't know about most unique job - shoveled a lot of manure making custom blend mushroom composts for research and then was a mushroom grower for a while..
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Don't know about most unique job - shoveled a lot of manure making custom blend mushroom composts for research and then was a mushroom grower for a while..
If they were "magic" mushrooms, it would be rather unique
Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
If they were "magic" mushrooms, it would be rather unique
Agaricus Bisporus, but growing psilocybe cubensis is much the same. Shrooms is shrooms.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Shrooms is shrooms.
I don't know. The ones on my pizza don't seem to make me feel like I'm floating...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agaricus Bisporus, but growing psilocybe cubensis is much the same. Shrooms is shrooms.
That's what I told those cops. They disagreed.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

hahahahahha...... you all are a hoot! Yes, we are near the Joshua Tree area. GORGEOUS spot in the world, sort of a secret to many. Maybe people don't like the heat. We discovered this area by chance and decided to buy and live here. VERY PEACEFUL!

Mushrooms on pizza don't make me float, they only make me BLOAT! hahahaha

About all the energy.... I tried just sitting around and doind nothing. Not for me. I do some volunteer work. Do a little consulting, too. But, I like working for myself the best. Whatever I do, it's got to be fun and NOT a job! : )
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome ,
My most unique Job ?? Maybe it was running a library with my Mickey Mouse magazines when I was 8 or was it when I was a lifeguard at the kiddie pool because only guys were allowed to be lifeguards at the real pool or maybe it was when I was a mother's helper for .25 an hour to four kids under the age of six ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Welcome ,
My most unique Job ?? Maybe it was running a library with my Mickey Mouse magazines when I was 8 or was it when I was a lifeguard at the kiddie pool because only guys were allowed to be lifeguards at the real pool or maybe it was when I was a mother's helper for .25 an hour to four kids under the age of six ?
Wow. You have a great memory. I guess I can add having a Lemonade Stand as my first job! : )
Old 03-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #12

It only lasted one day, but I was a professional drunk. By "professional" I mean that I was compensated for it with compensatory leave for the time there.

They needed drunks for the police academy trainees to practice on with the drunk tests and I volunteered. So a cruiser picked me and several others up at our houses, we go to the academy where we partied for a couple of hours, and then the trainees could practice on us. I didn't embarrass myself too badly, but then I was only at a .09 BAC and felt smashed out of my mind.

Then we all were driven home and dropped off. The downside was that it was then 3:00 PM and I was still stupid drunk and had to stay home until the next day.

I usually leave "professional drunk" off my resume.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It only lasted one day, but I was a professional drunk. By "professional" I mean that I was compensated for it with compensatory leave for the time there.

They needed drunks for the police academy trainees to practice on with the drunk tests and I volunteered. So a cruiser picked me and several others up at our houses, we go to the academy where we partied for a couple of hours, and then the trainees could practice on us. I didn't embarrass myself too badly, but then I was only at a .09 BAC and felt smashed out of my mind.

Then we all were driven home and dropped off. The downside was that it was then 3:00 PM and I was still stupid drunk and had to stay home until the next day.

I usually leave "professional drunk" off my resume.
This is a great story. I guess my most unique job was in 1970-1971 in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I was a Playboy Bunny! It only lasted one year because my body couldn't handle all the partying!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

How did you like the breeze today? We were out looking at places way out off of Sunfair road this afternoon - dang near blew away!! Supposed to hit the 70mph mark tonight and we're up on the side of a hill outside of 29 - expect to be missing some roofing in the morning..
Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
How did you like the breeze today? We were out looking at places way out off of Sunfair road this afternoon - dang near blew away!! Supposed to hit the 70mph mark tonight and we're up on the side of a hill outside of 29 - expect to be missing some roofing in the morning..
I drove to Palm Springs to do some shopping (a new TJ Maxx grand opening) and all the palm trees were losing their branches. It was really a mess. Yes, the winds were up to 70 mph. Unbelievable.

Last year, our house, only 1 year old ..... the roof was blown off. It rolled the roof like a big roll of paper towel across the garage. It cost $6K to repair.

We have lots of wind mills out here. I can see them from my kitchen window! Very pretty with the mountains.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a couple:

1) Cleaning toilets at an amusement park for three months.
2) Washing dogs at the dog groomer. I lasted two days.
3) Fresh from Texas A&M with a shiny new degree in engineering, third in my class, got a job pulling orders in a toy warehouse. Thank you Texas economic collapse of 1985-1987.
4) Canceling auto insurance policies for Liberty Mutual. Weird job. I have a stack of form and I typed to policy number into the computer, pressed enter, and grabbed the next sheet of paper. I was in grad school at MIT at the time, took this a a temp job during IAP, did not tell anyone I was a grad student and got treated like a idiot by everyone else for the two weeks I worked there. I mean, who else would accept a job like that?
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
I have a couple:

1) Cleaning toilets at an amusement park for three months.
2) Washing dogs at the dog groomer. I lasted two days.
3) Fresh from Texas A&M with a shiny new degree in engineering, third in my class, got a job pulling orders in a toy warehouse. Thank you Texas economic collapse of 1985-1987.
4) Canceling auto insurance policies for Liberty Mutual. Weird job. I have a stack of form and I typed to policy number into the computer, pressed enter, and grabbed the next sheet of paper. I was in grad school at MIT at the time, took this a a temp job during IAP, did not tell anyone I was a grad student and got treated like a idiot by everyone else for the two weeks I worked there. I mean, who else would accept a job like that?
So far, yours top 'em all!

Tags
retirement