Join Early Retirement Today

Is this an omen---or what?!?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is this an omen---or what?!?

I'm not superstitious or religious, but I'm taking this as a sign that we should RE. DH hit a deer driving to work today
(as he did in November). DH is okay, unfortunately the deer is not. Some damage to the car---and we have a high deductible for collision, so will be shelling out another $500.

He would never have hit the deer if he hadn't been going to work---at the crack of dawn---6:30.

So---what do you think? To keep Bambi safe, shouldn't we be at home in bed at 6:30 and not commuting to work?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is this an omen---or what?!?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In parts of Texas they call this HUNTING!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster
. . . So---what do you think?* To keep Bambi safe, shouldn't we be at home in bed at 6:30 and not commuting to work?
It's hard to argue with that logic. Do it.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #4

You really only lost $450. Your husband did strap the deer to the roof of his car, right? The deer meat itself is worth $50 or so.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my town running of the road is often attributed to deer avoidance maneuvers* (true or otherwise).* Just to make the story believable hardly a week goes by without deer road kill.*
Old 03-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just got a call from the white house.

Your DH did NOT hit that deer with your car. He professionally embossed it with a hood ornament, which makes it an ornamental deer.

If its still around, Dick will come by and spray it with some pellets.

$500 is a HIGH deductible? I carry 2500 on our 5 year old cars and knocked it down to $500 on the new one.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #7

My uncle hit a deer about a year and a half ago with his 2003 Corolla. Total bill to the car was $4855. And the deer just got up and hopped off into the woods like nothing happened! The only fluid that got spilled was coolant...no blood or anything. His car looked like the result of those offset tests that NHTSA does, minus the airbag deployment. He had to get out on the passenger side because it pushed the driver's side fender back into the door and wedged it shut. And had to have it towed home.

I remember years ago, our neighbor hit a deer with, irony of all things, an Impala. Not a modern Impala though, a "real" one...a 1965. Even on that tank, it did some major damage. Smashed the fender, bumper, grille, and gouged out the driver's side door. It was still driveable, though. Oh, and that one killed the deer instantly.

But yeah, that's an omen...RETIRE!!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #8

Gee, I'm not so sure of the omen not to work.... All my near encounters with deer on the road were when I went off to have fun in the country or the mountains.

But good karma -- for sure. Surviving two collisions with deer is pretty amazing to me.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Years ago my BIL hit a wild turkey at 60mph. Came through the windshield on the drivers side and ended up in his lap. When he got the car pulled over and opened the door, the turkey hopped out and staggered away.

BIL escaped with only minor scratches and poop on his pants, some of it from the turkey.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
DH hit a deer driving to work
Another reason not to give driver's licenses to wildlife.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of omens...friend waited a couple of months to get a special order supra twin turbo. On his way home from the dealer after picking it up, crested a hill and ran into the tow truck and the car it was towing that was hanging an illegal u-turn just out of sight. Totalled all three. The replacement car, also waited for, was totalled by his roommate who "borrowed" it while my friend was on a business trip...maybe a week after he got it. Hit a sand patch in the road, skidded into a phone pole and bent the car about 25 degrees on the axis. His replacement for that car, a 300ZX twin turbo, lasted about 2 days, until he was driving it in connecticut and a huge buck ran out of the woods and wiped out the entire drivers side of the car before staggering off.

My advice to him was to buy a 65 impala and get no insurance.

I'm seeing a serendipitous turn to this thread...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #12

He would never have hit the deer if he hadn't been going to work---at the crack of dawn---6:30.

So---what do you think?* To keep Bambi safe, shouldn't we be at home in bed at 6:30 and not commuting to work?

Cars always know best, I tried to go to work one day when it was snowing and my car did a 180 and headed home. I turned it back around but saw the bumper to bumper traffic not moving on the freeway and knew the car was right. Once when trying to go home from work, not to the gym to work out my car turned right when it should have gone left so I went and worked out because the car wanted me to.
Let your husband retire his car doesn't want him to to to work.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

so far he has taken more game with his car than i have with my rifle
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote