It's nice being rich

I'll never consider myself rich as long as my days are numbered. What's today's number? I don't know. If I post tomorrow, you'll know that it wasn't '1'. :)

Sounds like fun! And IMO, you should do the hunt now rather than wait.

That is the plan. Like I said, no way to know how long I will be physically capable of doing this. At some point I will be lucky to manage dove hunting (wear camo, sit on a bucket, wait for doves to fly in to your decoys).

I like hopping on my expensive "stuff" and blazing down the road to another city and eating really good expensive "stuff" for lunch. Regularly. Like clock work. Week after week.

For the rest of my life!

Just got an email at 9:45 on a Sunday night for 3 things to review on an 8am conf call tomorrow. Ugh

THIS sums up why I decided to pull the plug. These types of expectations are completely unreasonable but have become the new normal. Sure, I turned the emails off over the weekend but then had to face irate bosses on Monday.

Ah, sweet retirement!

Some people thought I was rich when I drove a Mercedes. But I traded it on a Jeep and all was well.
My latest new Jeep cost me almost 80k. Lot's of new Mercedes can be had for a lot less. I guess the name Mercedes just sounds rich. :)

"If I were you, I would keep working because you are making very good money and if you can internalize the fact that you could quit any day and live a very nice life, that should eliminate 90% of the job stress. Then you will have a very highly paid and very low stress job."

This was posted above by medved and is really a great quote. True words in my opinion.

Didn't you hear? It isn't cool to be rich, especially not cool to admit it out loud (even with a pseudonym). Shhhh... The 99% crowd might hear and show up with tar, feathers, pitchforks, and maybe even torches.

I know I am not rich because I got invited to go with a group of experienced hunters to chase elk this Fall (something I have been wanting to do for years), but I am blanching a bit because it would necessitate renting an ATV, staying in a motel for 5 days, and buying a new rifle (since I have been advised that most shots are over 200 yards and elk are BIG). I suppose I should be sweating the idea of helping move a 500+ pound animal at serious elevation (9000+ feet), but somehow the couple thousand this would run me is what looms large. Ultimately I will make my peace with it because this is clearly something that I can do now in my 40s, but come my 60s or 70s it is pretty unlikely. At that point I will be happy if I can still chase down rabbits.
One of the guys over at the Kid's Camp got his a couple of years ago just out the back door of the camp kitchen. Last year he was a couple of miles farther away. They packed it out on horses. (Sometimes its nice to have stables at your disposal. :)) These folks aren't rich. That's how they feed their families. There are folks up here in their 80s that are still pretty spry.

One of the guys over at the Kid's Camp got his a couple of years ago just out the back door of the camp kitchen. Last year he was a couple of miles farther away. They packed it out on horses. (Sometimes its nice to have stables at your disposal. :)) These folks aren't rich. That's how they feed their families. There are folks up here in their 80s that are still pretty spry.

Yeah, but DW insists we live in the burbs. No elk wandering by my door.

Oh, and yes there are plenty of spry people in their 80s, but there are even more that are housebound at best. No guarantee I beat the odds.

Rich is having a family who loves you, and having enough to not worry about a comfortable living, giving some away to help others or health care. Everything else is just stuff.

+1000! There is an Spanish proverb I live by. Translated it is:
Health, love, and money, and the time to enjoy it!

We all die within months of retiring. All others die before retiring.

Back
Top Bottom