Join Early Retirement Today

jan77
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

jan77

Hello to all the baby boomers~ I turn 66 next January which my boss is aware and now wants to schedule a meeting to discuss "my plans". It's many months away...how should I respond?
jan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

jan77
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

jan77

Turning 66 next January which is earliest I can collect SS; not rich by any stretch but want to try it. Boss is wanting to "my plans", date, etc. How do I respond without giving definites when I really don't know myself! How should I respond?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello Jan, this is an early retirement forum ya know. I think it's time to tell him
"I quit"!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

I have the second longest tenure in the office so when I walk, a lot of history goes with me. I think he is fearful of things falling in the cracks and wanting at least a 3 month notice to find a replacement. Is that reasonable?We can all be replaced...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

3 months notice is quite a bit. Can you trust the boss enough to be sure that he will not can you as soon as he hires your replacement? You have not said but it kind of sounds like you are not ready to retire.
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan77 View Post
I have the second longest tenure in the office so when I walk, a lot of history goes with me. I think he is fearful of things falling in the cracks and wanting at least a 3 month notice to find a replacement. Is that reasonable?We can all be replaced...
Don't worry Jan, 3 months after you're gone they'll be saying "Jan who"?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

Have worked all my life and its scary to cut your income in half or more. I'm thinking of offering some consulting or PT work if I can do from home office rather than commute 40 miles a day. And he has indicated he would be open and wants to hear what I have in mind.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like both you and your Boss want a smooth transition. If you have had a good working relationship, I suspect that you'll work it out for both of your benefits. I'll bet you have friends at your job, it would be nice to be able to consult, keep up with your friends, make a little extra money and enjoy the break from the daily grind that retirement will allow you to do. I think you said it well in your last post; "it's scary to cut your income in half"......but you may end up having the best of both worlds......good luck!
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It all depends on our relationship with your boss and how secure you feel in your job. I felt very secure and had a great relationship with my boss and actually signaled my intent about 5 years ago (RE'd in Feb 2012).

Part time is a great transition, I was 60% part time for a while, stepped up to 80% to help out with a special project and then down to 50% for about a year before I finally hung it up.

Think of what an ideal arrangement would be for you and then discuss it with him and be open and flexible.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote