Join Early Retirement Today

Joining the class of 2019 .....
Old 12-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Joining the class of 2019 .....

Hello,

Joined here almost a year ago and this is my first post. Have been working on our FIRE plans and for years frequenting many FIRE sites, but early-retirement.org has established itself at the top of my favorites list.

I have been in corporate IT for 35 years and am mentally done with it. The current job is not difficult and the pay/ benefits are great, I am just worn out and looking forward to getting off the full time treadmill. Did programming work for decades (development and support) and have been in management for too many years. Have gotten to the point where neither the technical work or the management BS has any allure, greed and admittedly a bit of fear are the only things that keep me working.

Hit a few personal milestones in 2018 (35 years, comp payouts) and our son moved off the megacorp health insurance.

DW is a teacher who has been in her district for 25 years and has a few more before she retires with a good pension. Combined with a SWR against our pre and post tax investments we will have a comfortable income stream without working. No debts and kids in their 20's done with school, supporting themselves in careers related to their education choices.

Just got done with a megacorp restructuring and was hoping for an exit package, but it did not happen as I am still involved in products and services that make money. Have been very low profile at work and only doing the minimum amount of effort in any activity for the past year trying to get on the RIF list, just can't seem to catch a break with that. I don't like it as it goes against my work ethic, but I just don't care about the place or the business anymore.
Current plan is to stay with the job until late spring when there are more comp payouts and then pull the plug.

I have all the typical thoughts and doubts that have been expressed by others and they all reinforce the decision to walk away. Megacorp has treated me OK and I have had a great career, but I am done.

Not sure exactly what RE has in store for me. Going to take at least 6 months to decompress and see what happens.

Looking forward to future posts and contributing where I can.
snappytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good to see your first post. Sounds like everything is good.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats snappytom!!

It sounds like you have more bases covered than I, and it worked out fine for me.

Best to you.

VW
Old 12-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Fantastic, I have 76 more work days left. Already have a sweet side gig set up.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappytom View Post
Hello,

Joined here almost a year ago and this is my first post. Have been working on our FIRE plans and for years frequenting many FIRE sites, but early-retirement.org has established itself at the top of my favorites list.

I have been in corporate IT for 35 years and am mentally done with it. The current job is not difficult and the pay/ benefits are great, I am just worn out and looking forward to getting off the full time treadmill. Did programming work for decades (development and support) and have been in management for too many years. Have gotten to the point where neither the technical work or the management BS has any allure, greed and admittedly a bit of fear are the only things that keep me working.

Hit a few personal milestones in 2018 (35 years, comp payouts) and our son moved off the megacorp health insurance.

DW is a teacher who has been in her district for 25 years and has a few more before she retires with a good pension. Combined with a SWR against our pre and post tax investments we will have a comfortable income stream without working. No debts and kids in their 20's done with school, supporting themselves in careers related to their education choices.

Just got done with a megacorp restructuring and was hoping for an exit package, but it did not happen as I am still involved in products and services that make money. Have been very low profile at work and only doing the minimum amount of effort in any activity for the past year trying to get on the RIF list, just can't seem to catch a break with that. I don't like it as it goes against my work ethic, but I just don't care about the place or the business anymore.

Current plan is to stay with the job until late spring when there are more comp payouts and then pull the plug.

I have all the typical thoughts and doubts that have been expressed by others and they all reinforce the decision to walk away. Megacorp has treated me OK and I have had a great career, but I am done.

Not sure exactly what RE has in store for me. Going to take at least 6 months to decompress and see what happens.

Looking forward to future posts and contributing where I can.

Seems I could have written this as well. Was hoping for some type of year end package but seems my mega just doesn’t do that anymore.

Planning for Oct ‘19 when I hit 62 with 40 years service

Here’s wishing you a successful exit in the spring
TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote