Join Early Retirement Today

Just gave my notice
Old 05-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Just gave my notice

I participated in this forum back before the 2008 crash, and after it hit, put my head down and didn't think about retiring. But I've made back what was lost in the crash and more, and am comfortable with the money end for retiring. I've given my notice at work. I'll be packing up my things in mid-December and be officially "done" (as we say in Vermont) at the end of the year. I've got a list of things I want to do to prepare for that date, but would like to hear your suggestions. What are the three most important activities, transactions, etc. (besides being confident you have enough) to accomplish before you have no more paycheck?
lem1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Arrange health care, pay off all debts and stock up on beer.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
+1
Old 05-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

Congratulations!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratuations

+1 on setting up new healthcare coverage and paying off debt, if any.
Though I do like the idea of stocking up on your beverage of choice (esp for those VT winters) ... my 3rd item would be to make sure you take care of any check-ups, dental, vision, etc. that you need (or for which you're due) before you transition away from employer provided coveage.
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I live a few miles from Hill Farmstead Brewery, best beer in the world. I'll have a lot more time to stand in line to wait for my growler fill-ups. Better start now to line up health insurance. Vermont Health Connect still has mega problems. Oh, right gotta schedule an eye exam. Dental and annual physical done. I'm in process of consolidating and simplifying 401(k)s and IRA's.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
I live a few miles from Hill Farmstead Brewery, best beer in the world. I'll have a lot more time to stand in line to wait for my growler fill-ups.
get a kegerator
Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
On that pay off debt thing, I'm thinking I want to keep my small mortgage and Home Equity debt. The very low interest I pay on those loans is enough to allow me to itemize deductions rather than take the standard. I like getting a tax break on charitable contributions, for example. Oh, and in order to pay off those loans, I would need to take assets from retirement accounts in an amount that would put me in the 25% bracket. I like 15% better. Comments?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On that pay off debt thing, I'm thinking I want to keep my small mortgage and Home Equity debt. The very low interest I pay on those loans is enough to allow me to itemize deductions rather than take the standard. I like getting a tax break on charitable contributions, for example. Oh, and in order to pay off those loans, I would need to take assets from retirement accounts in an amount that would put me in the 25% bracket. I like 15% better. Comments?

If you have a sufficient emergency fund or pension to handle the debt payments in case of a prolonged market downturn, otherwise you might find yourself having to sell low just to pay these debts. Personally, I hate debt.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you have a sufficient emergency fund or pension to handle the debt payments in case of a prolonged market downturn, otherwise you might find yourself having to sell low just to pay these debts. Personally, I hate debt.
I plan to have two years of expenses in quarterly laddered CD's.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'd keep the debt
Old 05-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #13

If the interest rate on the mortgage is lower than your average portfolio return, then in my mind there is no financial reason to sell assets to pay it off, particularly if you would take a tax hit on the sale. We still have a mortgage on our house for that reason.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
If the interest rate on the mortgage is lower than your average portfolio return, then in my mind there is no financial reason to sell assets to pay it off, particularly if you would take a tax hit on the sale. We still have a mortgage on our house for that reason.
Yes, that's the situation, exactly.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A year or so before I retired youngest son was in college and I wanted to make sure I could cover various costs so I arranged a home loan line of credit, only used it once to buy an RV and paid that off quickly but I have it in place to cover emergencies and smooth cash flow. Easier to set up when one is still employed.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
A year or so before I retired youngest son was in college and I wanted to make sure I could cover various costs so I arranged a home loan line of credit, only used it once to buy an RV and paid that off quickly but I have it in place to cover emergencies and smooth cash flow. Easier to set up when one is still employed.
Thanks, yakers. My current HELOC is for a maximum of $50,000. I set it up years ago when I thought that would be plenty. Right now it's topped out. I don't have many more home projects needing attention, and I've got other resources of course, but I was thinking it would be a good idea to see if my credit union can increase the line with no additional costs before December. Thanks for reminding me to check into it. Current rate is 2.99%
Old 05-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I live a few miles from Hill Farmstead Brewery, best beer in the world. I'll have a lot more time to stand in line to wait for my growler fill-ups.
I'm a big fan of their Edward pale ale. Very, very nice beer and always a pleasure to get to sample it when we visit family up in Burlington. Congrats on having more time to wait for growlers!

And would you mind stockpiling some Heady Topper and Sip o' Sunshine for me while you have so much time on your hands coming up!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm a big fan of their Edward pale ale. Very, very nice beer and always a pleasure to get to sample it when we visit family up in Burlington. Congrats on having more time to wait for growlers!

And would you mind stockpiling some Heady Topper and Sip o' Sunshine for me while you have so much time on your hands coming up!
Edward is my favorite Hill Farmstead beer too, Sarah. I'll have that and cans of Heady Topper in my fridge when you come visit. I don't know Sip o Sunshine, looks like it's a down country brew.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hate debt. All debt has hidden costs too. Dump it!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

lem, yes, it is a bit of a ways from y'all, but also a fine beer (I think from CT, perhaps, but quite popular in Burlington) and fits in well with Hill Farmstead. One of my nephews is named Edward, so of course THAT ONE would be my all-time go to brew when we visit.

Ah, you are so lucky to be retiring at the end of the year, knowing that you won't be spending yucky February digging out the car early in the morning! I love it up there during our brief December visits, but love it even more in mid-summer, when we stay a bit longer. Congrats again!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retiring soon