Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a random question, since we are talking about FL: how do you avoid getting unbelievably sunburnt?

Welcome to the forum. Its nice to have a variety of (sane) viewpoints.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I come from a culture where people have trouble looking each other in the eye when conversing and stare off into the horizon instead. Expressions of love, hugs and kisses between people who are not lovers, are rare.

But we all go to the sauna together naked.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I come from a culture where people have trouble looking each other in the eye when conversing and stare off into the horizon instead. Expressions of love, hugs and kisses between people who are not lovers, are rare.

But we all go to the sauna together naked.
Ahhhhh, Martha, you must be Japanese.
MGYog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to NudistsInParadise Send a message via Skype™ to NudistsInParadise
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Just a random question, since we are talking about FL: how do you avoid getting unbelievably sunburnt?

Brewer12345:

A good sun tan is the best and most natural defense against sunburn. Besides, exposing one's skin to sunlight produces more beneficial Vitamin D in 20 minutes than you can get from a handful of pills, and Vitamin D is suspected of preventing or helping to prevent a wide array of diseases that D-deficient people often suffer. So, we like getting ours the natural way!

Regards,

Mike
NudistsInParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

See, I woulda guessed a large hat but what do I know.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudistsInParadise View Post
Brewer12345:

A good sun tan is the best and most natural defense against sunburn. Besides, exposing one's skin to sunlight produces more beneficial Vitamin D in 20 minutes than you can get from a handful of pills, and Vitamin D is suspected of preventing or helping to prevent a wide array of diseases that D-deficient people often suffer. So, we like getting ours the natural way!

Regards,

Mike
So your skin is made of tinfoil?

Seriously, 30 minutes unprotected in the FL sun and I would be a lobster. And you don't worry about skin cancer?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sunscreen!

Lots of sunscreen!

How To Protect Against Sunburn | eHow.com

Quote:
Almost all health officials agree that there is no such thing as a healthy tan, but a sunburn is particularly damaging to your skin and may result in pain, swelling, blistering and long-term skin damage.
Getting a 'base tan': Does it prevent sunburn? - MayoClinic.com

Quote:
Tanning under the sun or a sunlamp gives protection that is equivalent to a sun protection factor (SPF) of 4 or less, which translates into a little extra time in the sun before you start to burn. But the larger issue is that any change in skin color is a sign of damage from ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Repeated exposure to UV radiation — whether from the sun or a sunlamp — increases your risk of premature skin aging and skin cancer.
Note 1: Vitamin D is good for you
2: It appears that Vitamin D helps protect you against skin cancer
3: You can get D with limited sun exposure
4: Your body breaks down D after a certain limit
5: Use some care in the sun no matter how much or little clothing you're wearing
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

haha this reminded me of that honda commercial where a guy picks up a bunch of nudists with a stranded balloon. Anyway, congratulations to you and your wife!! Being nude is very liberating indeed.
xynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Welcome here Mike.

One thing that I have always wanted to ask a nudist is if you are more concerned than most clothed folks about skin cancer? We have discussed various skin cancer issues here in the past and I was just wondering how it affects your outdoor activities.

I have had numerous skin cancer bouts during that last few years and try to stay out of the sun as much as possible as I seem to be more susceptible than many others. If I were a nudist I would be using sun block by the tub full.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to NudistsInParadise Send a message via Skype™ to NudistsInParadise
Mickeyd:

Nudists are as concerned as anyone about skin cancer. However, my experience is that nudists take better care of their skin than non-nudists, since we "wear" only our skin most of the time. We tend to tan gradually as the season begins, rather than burning as many non-nudists do at the first hint of summer, and so do less damage to the skin than those with less experience. We also typically wear wide-brimmed hats and not ball caps, protecting their ears, neck and head a lot better than non-nudists. Those of us living full-time at nudist resorts also maintain a nice all-over tan year-round, which again helps prevent sunburn.

Also,there are three-times-a-year screenings at our resort by dermatologists, and they consistently report that they find less skin disorders overall among our population than non-nudists of the same age, etc. So, perhaps there is something to the Vitamin D hypothesis!

Later,

Mike
NudistsInParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

What a huge savings in dry cleaning.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
What a huge savings in dry cleaning.
...and dryer sheets!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudistsInParadise View Post
Also,there are three-times-a-year screenings at our resort by dermatologists, and they consistently report that they find less skin disorders overall among our population than non-nudists of the same age, etc. So, perhaps there is something to the Vitamin D hypothesis!
Welcome to the board, NIP, but this is one where I'd rather form an opinion from a peer-reviewed research project.

I've seen enough skin cancers removed from noses & ears to not want to risk it on other portions of my anatomy. Maybe there's a bunch of good reasons why there aren't nudist resorts in Hawaii, and why surfers wear rash guards...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

NIP,

Welcome to the board. While I don't practice the lifestyle myself, I have no objections to it nor any jokes to make about it. I appreciate your directness and articulate responses to the questions people have asked and I, for one, hope you stick around.

There is one other lady on the board who is at least an occasional nudist with her husband. I'm not sure if she'll see this thread or what the etiquette is of identifying her to you. Maybe one of the moderators can advise.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

And 2Cor now has the rest of us pondering...who is the other nudist? In our typical gossipy fashion...

I did mention the RV campground at Mike's resort to my DH tonight, but I'm not sure how interested he was--I don't think I explained it very well. But if you ever see a vintage Airstream motorhome come chugging into town, I've talked him into it, Mike!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And 2Cor now has the rest of us pondering...who is the other nudist? In our typical gossipy fashion...
Well, i have been known to walk around my yard in my boxer shorts on occasion, so maybe its me. So far no neighbor complaints.

And no, that doesnt answer the 'boxers or briefs' question. I wear both. I depends...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

T - M - I
Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Hey REW...I'll send you a pair if you want. You can pick the style. I wont put any poisonous insects or reptiles in the box. I swear...
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey REW...I'll send you a pair if you want.
I don't.

Hey mods, aren't there rules about selling used underwear on the forum? If not, maybe we need to amend the rules...
Old 06-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

No sales involved. These are completely free.

You just have to pay shipping and handling fees. Just ask Nords. Sometimes theres something GOOD in the box(ers)...