Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean now.
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado

I won't fry bacon in the buff. I may be a nudist, but I am not stupid! Other cooking techniques are easy to do with an apron.

Naked gardening is very practical, pants don't get dirty or wet. Once your feet get calloused enough, there is no problem with using a spade or a shovel (carefully). Using any type of power tool while naked fits into the incredibly stupid category.

I wish I could wash my car naked, but the cars won't fit into the garden.

You are correct, swimming in the nude is indescribably fun and relaxing. And once you get used to it, there is nothing worse than a cold, and clammy swimsuit.

So, everyone, into the pool!!
region2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Oh...I can't handle my feet being calloused.

But I do have to admit that going without clothing around the house may have a health benefit. I think a person would be more in tune with their body and notice areas that need to be improved/toned. Perhaps this is not the idea of a true nudist, but if we notice our bodies more, we'll be happier in the skin we're in....
Old 08-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I knew a man years ago that was a "closet" nudist. He tried to get his wife to join him, but she just could not bring herself to go to a nudist camp. So, like you, he created a private backyard where no one could see them. She warmed up to the idea and accepted that part of his lifestyle.

Swimming in the nude is a sensational feeling. But I can't see how I could manage domestic chores without clothing. I keep thinking about frying bacon. Then I think about "parts" getting in the way.
When I was early married and living in Berkeley we and a bunch of people in our building had nude TGIF parties in the backyard. It was great fun. Then one day I was coming home by a different route and I happened to glance toward the backyard and saw all these naked people standing around holding drinks and holding their breath real funny, laughing and howling. The bamboo privacy fence just was not doing the job. My wife had one of the world's best bodies, and sure enough, there it was.

Sometimes we would pile into cars and head up to the lake in Tilden Park where we continued our nude festival. In those days I was near-sighted. I never realized just how visible we were. Because you can't see them doesn't mean they can't see you.

But this was a mellow time in a mellow place, so it all worked out. Once my wife and I and her brother and his girlfriend hiked into some pool way up on Mt. Tam that BIL's GF was hot to nudify. We got there, peeled off and started to enjoy the scenery when some Ranger pervert hopped out of the bushes and gave us a ticket. This was a really remote spot so this idiot must have followed us in.

I will dispute that social nudism is not erotic. IMO it is totally hot. At least it is when there are attractive women around.

Ha
Old 08-12-2009, 05:38 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Social nudism...a bridge I have yet to cross. I prefer to dance on the edge of going full Monty.
I've gone skinny-dipping in small groups after dark, and co-ed naked sailing in a party of 2. I go bare as a "bow babe" on our boat to get tanned.
I've flashed my top at Woodstock 99 and went topless for a few hours at a jazzfest, both in a crowd situation. There was a whole lot of full Monty going on at Woodstock, both genders.
I went European at the beach at Mykonos recently. A family group that sat down nearby and the stares of the young boys cut that short. Tourists!
Maybe someday...I think if I was in the right comfy situation I would go for it.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #86
Dryer sheet aficionado

freebird - sounds like you just need a little to push to go Full Monty.

Grab a like-minded friend or SO and check out aanr.com - American assoc. for nude recreation and pick out a resort that you would like to visit.

Note, there is a difference between clothing-optional and nude resorts.

clothing-optional resorts - you can wear as little or as much as you want at anytime. Nudity is not required.

Nude resorts - nudity is required under all practical situations. For example, you are allowed to don clothes if the nearby volcano erupts!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Um...already have done the research. There's a place about 2 hours drive from me.
dh2b is game (newsflash ), but I'm not there yet. I have to develop the proper DGAS (don't give a ****) attitude.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Wow. I did not realize there are so many nudists or wannabe nudists on this forum.

My wife and I must be prude, as we can never imagine ourselves doing that.

It is true that clothing and accessories can be a bother. There was a time when I liked to dress up for some social or professional functions, but now in ER, I often cringe when having to don a suit and dig out the wingtips. Same as most, I would rather kick back in Bermuda shorts and T-shirt with friends on the back deck BS'ing over a beer.

But while shedding spiffy clothes and jewely can be very liberating, I don't see how baring it all would reduce anxiety. Of course it is all in one's head, but I can see reasons for the reverse, meaning to have some kind of clothing as protection. Even in the wild, one would feel more secure to have cover from insect bites, thorns, brush scratches, etc... Most aborigines have a loin clothe, and I would guess for some protection. Could some anthropologists among us offer an elucidation?

And it may be true that nudism is not erotic. Let's face it, very few of us are qualified to be modeled for centerfolds of GQ or girlie magazines. In fact, I suspect it may be a bit off-putting, but I would never know.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #89
Dryer sheet aficionado

NW-Bound
Look at it this way.
Do you ever get anxious or worry about how you look, are your clothes good enough? Do you ever worry that you are too fat, or too skinny, or too droopy, or too wrinkly?
Do you hate those scars on your face or chest or abdomen?
Nudists have none of those worries.

Do you wonder if you are keeping up with the Joneses? Driving the right car? Can purchase the best jewelry?
Nudists don't care about any of that. In general, social nudists tend to know each other on a first name basis only, and may never know anything about your socioeconomic level since they wouldn't give a hoot.

When I go to nude beaches, I am always amazed at how easy it is to meet strangers and begin a conversation. It is because nudists, when face-to-face, tend to make direct eye contact. It is not polite to let your eyes wander southwards (or northwards if on a nude beach in New Zealand).

Regarding the physical risks of nudism, skin is an amazingly tough organ. I am cautious of the risks of UV-B radiation, as everyone should. Sunscreen is essential.

I suppose if you are very afraid of bug bites and spiders, then you have those has fears either clothed or not. Tick checks are essential up here in the northwoods.

And you are correct, nudism is not erotic. Remember, one function of clothing is to tittilate. No clothes = nothing left to the imagination.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow. I did not realize there are so many nudists or wannabe nudists on this forum.
It takes a certain amount of exhibitionism to be able to say "Hi, here's my financial profile..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by region2 View Post
We did visit a nude beach in Hawaii on our honeymoon at age 30 or so and I think she had a good time.
The Hawaii Visitors & Conventions Bureau would like to point out (so to speak) that all Hawaii beaches are public and none are legally designated for nudity.

But semantics aside, from an engineering perspective it's close enough for all practical purposes.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

But while shedding spiffy clothes and jewely can be very liberating, I don't see how baring it all would reduce anxiety....

And it may be true that nudism is not erotic. Let's face it, very few of us are qualified to be modeled for centerfolds of GQ or girlie magazines. In fact, I suspect it may be a bit off-putting, but I would never know.
This may be the the most frequently revived "Hi, I am Thread." It is beyond my comprehension why newbies would want to come online here to elucidate us on this topic without participating in other discussions. "Hi, I'm "Nudie," let me tell you all about the naturist lifestyle." OP has a grand total of 14 posts.

More anxiety, NW-Bound, maybe; I've known guys who say they have to be prepared to hide certain natural reactions, one said he would never do the backstroke in a naturist swimming pool.... I agree, and clothes can hide a lot of imperfections.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have enjoyed a (passive Nudist lifestyle) as long as I can remember. I first took my family to Sint Martin (french side) 20 years ago and my 5 year old daughter would look at the guys with the big stomachs and say "Mommy, that guy doesn't have a Penis"!

As I recall you had to wear bottoms in the restaurant and the young waitresses just wore skirts.

My ex-sister in law used to do nude housework and was never embarrassed if I stopped by for coffee!

When I ER'd, I used to go to the nude beach on fire island (NY) almost everyday in the summer and early fall and "nude hiking" was popular as well.

Here in Lima, they are much more conservative and girls do not even go topless.

My wife however is an exhibitionist (in the house) although her younger "twin sisters" who live with us are the complete opposite.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Um...already have done the research. There's a place about 2 hours drive from me.
dh2b is game (newsflash ), but I'm not there yet. I have to develop the proper DGAS (don't give a ****) attitude.
Freebird, I have thought of one real benefit to at least the "around the house" form of nudity--I think if I ate in the nude, I'd probably never go back for seconds!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

It's more enjoyable for me to have something to imagine.
LoftyNotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by region2 View Post
NW-Bound
Look at it this way.
Do you ever get anxious or worry about how you look, are your clothes good enough? Do you ever worry that you are too fat, or too skinny, or too droopy, or too wrinkly?
Do you hate those scars on your face or chest or abdomen?
Nudists have none of those worries.

Do you wonder if you are keeping up with the Joneses? Driving the right car? Can purchase the best jewelry?
Nudists don't care about any of that. In general, social nudists tend to know each other on a first name basis only, and may never know anything about your socioeconomic level since they wouldn't give a hoot...
Nowadays, in most settings, people do not convey much of their economic status because of their informal clothing, unless one really intends to. Some will always flash their Rolex watch or the women their diamonds, but generally, jeans and polo or T-shirts are fairly equalitarian. I guess it might be different 100 years ago.

And if further leveling is desired, how about a club where people will wear a uniform? On a tangent, I will say that I am for school uniforms. It gives kids less distractions, and perhaps some adults may also find it beneficial in a club. The adult uniform can be of a very concealing nature such as a priest frock or a nun habit. There is a reason while such "uniforms" have been adopted by various different religions. A monk robe serves the same purpose. I myself think that the casual American clothes are sufficiently equalitarian. Jeans, Bermuda shorts, khaki pants, with polo or T-shirts are pretty much the "uniform" to me.

While with clothes one can conceal to some extent whatever physical characteristics one considers to be deficient, of course there is nothing one can do about height, hair, facial features, etc... And as we make friends and we start to talk a bit more intimately, it may be accidently revealed that while I flew to Europe on coach, you took the first class seat. Or that we have different backgrounds and educations, etc... It is always up to me to decide to let that bothers me or not.

My point is that we are never identical, and we either ignore our differences to be friends or we don't fit together. I do not see the absence of clothes as the enabler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
More anxiety, NW-Bound, maybe; I've known guys who say they have to be prepared to hide certain natural reactions, one said he would never do the backstroke in a naturist swimming pool.... I agree, and clothes can hide a lot of imperfections.
Eh, I was delicately tiptoeing around that by declaring sour grapes and that there would be nothing to be "excited" about.

Again, I would never know.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyNotions View Post
It's more enjoyable for me to have something to imagine.
Ah, yes. Radio was so entertaining... until television came along and ruined it. I miss that.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Personally, I'd rather hide the shortcoming of NOT having a natural reaction.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...
Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

See how it is NEVER that simple.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

All I can say is...if I go to a nudist colony, I sure hope it's not cold.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
All I can say is...if I go to a nudist colony, I sure hope it's not cold.
A. For personal comfort?
B. For better viewing?
c. All of the above?

PS- I mowed the lawn. Can I play here a little longer?