Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Just retired @ 51, two nudists living in paradise
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to NudistsInParadise Send a message via Skype™ to NudistsInParadise
Just retired @ 51, two nudists living in paradise

Hello!

My wife gave notice on Monday, I will be doing the same in a few weeks when the check from the sale of our current home in Texas clears the bank (sold it in 24 days!).

We are both 51, just retiring from 25+ years each in the computer industry (she in the mainframe world, me in the PC peripherals world). We have lived in the Dallas area since 1990, but our retirement will be to Florida to live full-time in America's most beautiful nudist resort, Cypress Cove, in Kissimmee, FL, near Orlando.

We have purchased a home at the Cove and will be moving in during the latter part of this month or early July. It has been our dream for many years to be able to live in such a beautiful place with so many wonderful, fun people.

We have about $2.4M in assets plus we own the new home in Florida free and clear, plus two cars. We have set up a series of $60k bond ladders to draw from for our annual living expenses for the first few years, using a 4% withdrawal rate as a start. We have no debt and are in good health.

Glad to have found this board. See you online!

Regards,

Mike & Marilyn
NudistsInParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!!!!!

They just closed a nudist beach here in SD County!
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where does a nudist keep their loose change?

Would one build glass houses if they were starting a nudist colony?

Is it ok to think it's funny that one of the similar threads in the little recommendation box at the footer is for 'Untapped Paradise'

I've often thought that a nudist programmer would have a competitive advantage in typing speed over a clothed programmer.

anyway, hi and welcome!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #4

Welcome.

There was an article recently in the local Sarasota paper about some "famous" nudist colony in a Florida city - I've forgotten the name/location. One of the members is in her '80s. I came away wondering whether a naked 80+ year old woman is anything that I really ever need to see. Maybe it would be OK if I could put myself in the proper frame of mind :confused: I do try to keep an open mind.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Welcome.

There was an article recently in the local Sarasota paper about some "famous" nudist colony in a Florida city - I've forgotten the name/location. One of the members is in her '80s. I came away wondering whether a naked 80+ year old woman is anything that I really ever need to see. Maybe it would be OK if I could put myself in the proper frame of mind :confused: I do try to keep an open mind.
I've got this image of a shar-pei in my mind that just won't go away...
Thanks.

Is it true that the most popular guy in the nudist colony can carry a dozen doughnuts and two cups of coffee?

Welcome to the Forum!
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Where does a nudist keep their loose change?
Don't tell us. Too much information. Inquiring minds DO NOT want to know.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #7

Congrats! It sounds like you 2 are in great shape for ER.
I am jealous...
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
I've got this image of a shar-pei in my mind that just won't go away...
Thanks.

Is it true that the most popular guy in the nudist colony can carry a dozen doughnuts and two cups of coffee?

Welcome to the Forum!
Damn man I just blew coffee all over the keyboard on that one. Stop it.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome , I 'm also in Florida . Clothed & living in Sarasota .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to NudistsInParadise Send a message via Skype™ to NudistsInParadise
All -

Thanks for the welcome! A few nits:

(1) It's not a "colony." Those are for ants. We live in a garden-like, lush, tropical, 300-acre gated resort with a 50-acre lake, six tennis courts, two pools, two restaurants, two bars, a hair salon, a massage studio, and 250 meticulously-maintained permanent homes.

(2) Nudity does not equal sex. Unfortunately, most Americans are conditioned by the media and the fashion industry to equate skin with sex, and don't know how natural and wonderful it is to just be out in the sunshine free of textiles and soggy bathing costumes, as is the longstanding routine in most of Europe and Australia.

Discovering nudism was the single best thing that ever happened to us. Nearly 100& of the people who try it say the same thing.

Thanks again, and we'll see you on the forum!

Mike
Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Mike and Marilyn, welcome to the board. The reaction you just experienced was inevitable, but surely you are used to it.

You two have done an awesome job saving. Any time you want to share ideas for investing, distributions, or other retiree money stuff, feel free.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudistsInParadise View Post
Nudity does not equal sex.
I'll bet.

(You might make note that the image is Not Safe For...err...ANYONE!)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Welcome, Mike and Marilyn!
So glad you have found such a wonderful place to retire and congrats on selling your house in just 24 days ! WOW! That is remarkable! Y'all sound like you are in great shape for retirement, and living in a place with so many amenities will be awesome!

Thanks for sharing your story and your lifestyle--to each his (and her) own, and it seems perfect for you. Like minded people and all that. But of course, I will confess to curiosity, and if you wouldn't mind, can we ask questions about the nudist lifestyle?

As Rich said, you might be tired of such questions, but here's mine:
Do you shop/get a haircut/eat dinner at the restaurant/etc all in the nude? Or do you have times when putting on clothes is a novelty? Is your community a retirement community with an age minimum? What do folks do about grandchildren visiting?

Thanks, and I mean no offense, I'm just really curious of the mechanics of your lifestyle. And again, welcome! Good job on getting to FIRE at 51!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I'll bet.
You might make note that the image is Not Safe For...err...ANYONE!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sarah -

Thanks for the welcome and no problem with the curiosity -- happy to help if we can.

At our resort, nudity is permitted and encouraged everywhere and at all times in the resort. Of course, wearing clothes where/when it is practical for safety, comfort or health reasons is perfectly acceptable (as we often have to explain, 'We are nudists, not idiots!') For example, I expect to wear jeans and sturdy shoes when power-washing my driveway, or to throw on a t-shirt and shorts on those few cold winter days when being outdoors clothesfree would be a bit chilly. However, being nude is the custom and is the overwhelming practice of all the residents and guests at the resort, since that is the real luxury of such a special place.

So, to answer your question, yes, I have gotten my haircut in the nude at the lovely on-site hair salon, and done everything else you'd do at any textile-compulsive resort, nude. That includes eating and drinking in the restaurants and bars, riding our bikes, going for walks, dancing in the nightclub, taking our recycling to the collection bins, doing lawn care and home improvements, playing cards / bingo / water aerobics / etc. with our neighbors, watching movies on the big-screen during our "dive-in" movie nights at the main pool, paddling around our 50-acre lake, shopping at the gift shop or convenience store in the resort, getting the mail and newspaper in the morning, and literally everything else you'd normally do living a normal life inside a nice neighborhood / park / resort. And of course, plenty of skinnydipping and sunbathing, too!

Cypress Cove is an equal-opportunity residential community. We have over 200 permanent single-family homes in the park, owned by a mixture of retirees, working adults, snowbirds, telecommuters, etc. Schoolteachers, nuclear physicists, farmers, retired military, airline captains, computer executives, you name it -- our neighbors are a cross-section of people in all walks of life, all ages and all backgrounds and professions.

In addition, there is a large 200-site RV park and campground for seasonal and weekend visitors in their RVs and campers, and a 83-unit hotel complex with studio and kitchenette apartments. So, there is no age discrimination in housing at Cypress Cove. We have neighbors of all ages, including families with young children, as well as hundreds of visitors from all over the world.

Like any large suburban American neighborhood, we have the usual things you'd expect in any well-run development. The UPS, FedEx and mailman deliver to our residents, and we have the usual mixture of service people, cable guys, telephone guys, contractors, maintenance people and so on, working in our resort as they would in any other part of town on their routes. Naturally, all of them are clothed as are all the paid staff of the resort.

As far as visitors, we made the decision when we bought our home at Cypress Cove that we were not going to arrange our affairs just to please others; we wanted to live as nudists in a wonderful community of others who share our love for this amazing way of life, and what other non-nudist friends or relatives think of that is their problem, not ours. The benefits of living where we do and the way we do is so overwhelming that all other considerations are far less than secondary.

We have no children of our own, and so no grandchildren. All of our best friends (about 100 of them!) are nudists, and we have a few other elderly relatives who are very unlikely to want to visit us regardless of where we live, so that is not our concern. In any case, all of our friends and relatives are welcome to visit us anytime they like. They can remain clothed if they wish, but we will be nude and they will undoubtedly see many other people nude during their visit. If that bothers them, then they will have to deal with it. Our experience is that after a few minutes of initial shock, it is they who will feel uncomfortable and "overdressed," and of course they are welcome to join us in freedom and comfort if they like.

Hope this helps!!

Mike
Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #16
gone traveling

Again, welcome to the forum. It is customary for new members of the FIRE forum who relocate in retirement to post pictures of themselves, their neighbors, and amenities of their new community.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pix coming up! Stay tuned!

UPDATE: Some quick pix added to profile Albums area.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudistsInParadise View Post
we made the decision ... that we were not going to arrange our affairs just to please others;
The secret to contentment no matter your preferences in life!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Mike, thanks for the info and the link to the resort, it is a beautiful place!
I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions--all very interesting!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #20
gone traveling

Put on some clothes... They make the man or women! Come on a nice little black dress for the lady. A real nice pin stripe suit for the man, or better yet a nice pair of linen pants and a loose fitting white cotton button down shirt!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote