Join Early Retirement Today

Just retired and thinking of retirement in Florida
Old 07-31-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Just retired and thinking of retirement in Florida

I'm sure there are a lot of Florida retirees out there. I have a home in Connecticut (no mortgage) and a home in New Port Richey, FL near my daughter and grandchildren. Recently took early retirement package but will still need to work for the next 6 years. I am thinking about renting my home in Ct until I am sure Florida is for us. Anyone experienced with this scenario and renting?? Would like to do a corporate rental if possible. Thanks
greek1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Just retired and thinking of retirement in Florida
Old 07-31-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek1949
I'm sure there are a lot of Florida retirees out there. I have a home in Connecticut (no mortgage) and a home in New Port Richey, FL near my daughter and grandchildren. Recently took early retirement package but will still need to work for the next 6 years. I am thinking about renting my home in Ct until I am sure Florida is for us. Anyone experienced with this scenario and renting?? Would like to do a corporate rental if possible. Thanks
Here in Tampa it looks like we're entering a nice buyers' market (including New Port Richie). We have not seen the drastic drops in prices that the east coast or Naples has seen, but houses are taking longer to sell, prices are a little soft, and there's a lot of them on the market.

If you like it subtropical, this is a great place to be. The DW/realtor just got an offer on a nice small place up on New Port Richie, as a matter of fact, and it is going for a nice discount over the asking price.

Great idea to rent for a while to see if you like it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek1949
You may wish to peruse this thread http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=5068.0 in this forum for views on renting out a property.* There are other threads as well if you used the Search function on this Board and input 'landlord'.

Some folks have good luck and some bad luck with tenants. I've known enough people who've had bad experiences with tenants that I would never rent out a home, especially long distance.* *I don't have any evidence that Corporate Rentals are any more likely to attract good tenants than bad tenants.

Perhaps the bigger question to ask yourself is if you found out you did not like Florida after a few years, would you and spouse really want to come back to that same house in Conneticut?* Often tastes change and you would want something different anyway. Just some thoughts....
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi
Broward county here waiting to see if the hurriciane is "really" coming our way.
I am not a retiree. My sister just bought in Palm beach to come down and retire. Although I do real estate I think its different when its your "home". Many have an emotional attachment to the home and if its not kept the way you like it may be very stressfull . You would also have the additional burden of it being many miles away. So you would have to weight that in your decision
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote