Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Sheesh, looking for a job sounds more and more like whoring. I really feel for the OP and anyone who has to put up with this. But boy am I glad to have seen the light early and saved my pennies.
Not any different than going on a date or have you forgotten that ?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ummm....at only age 56, there should be no lack of familiarity with social media...maybe at 76 or 86 it would be understandable, but not 56. In fact if you are only 56, and have to have kids create your social media presence, that could be one clue as to why employment is elusive. Just sayin'.

Rest of advice - 100% in agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I

Recruiters often check out Facebook, Linked in and other social media sites. Get your child/grand children to make something up to look good in case recruiters check them out. Just having those accounts will tell them you are keeping up with what's going on.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #23
gone traveling

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I will definitely look into what was mentioned and hopefully things will turn out.
gride50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

YOu could try commission sales. I know a number of folks in their mid 50's that turned to real estate or car sales and have done well. some, however, that couldn't bond to sales ended up leaving and were frustrated with their lack of success. But.....a good commision salesperson can always find a job. Why? Usually the employer and employee go to the bank together. Good Luck.....I've been without a job in the past and I have empathy for you.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
......When you want the paycheck, you will mold yourself into the creature you think they want you to be (to a reasonable extent).
I would prefer to say it's marketing yourself & your skills to each prospective employer- both on paper and during interviews. Skills & experience very relevant to employer A may be rather useless to employer B, and vice-versa.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:44 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Many good suggestions. I was laid off from my dream job many years ago. I was young but I have never forgotten. That's another reason why I'm cheap

If you do want to move that might help. Dallas is absolutely booming and I don't know anyone who can't find work. In fact it's crazy!
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
They are honest about their occupation, but they too have a problem with middle age employment....ever see a very attractive middle age hooker? I haven't..............
I'll have to defer to your obvious great experience with the subject.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Gride,
I've done many interviews in my past mega corp life. The best advice I can give is this:
write your resume showing results (if you haven't already). I saw a lot of resumes stating only the candidate's previous job duties and/or job function. Companies & businesses want to know "how is this person going to make money for me?" Showing evidence of past accomplishments and results indicates you'll do it for them too. Good luck!