Join Early Retirement Today

Laid off at mid age and can't find employment
Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
gone traveling

Laid off at mid age and can't find employment

Was looking to see if anyone could offer any advice. I was laid off last February and have been looking with no success. I had have plenty of interviews but no offers. I just turned 56 last December and my unemployment just ended earlier in the month.

I figure it is my age and feel that I will never work again. I don't want to retire, but don't know what to do. I am not looking at high paying jobs, mostly customer service and inside sales, but have had no luck.

I own my home, have no debt and when I ran my numbers at Firecalc, I have enough for about 20-22 years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
gride50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Gride,

You have my sympathy. We faced a similar threat that kept us in suspension for 18 months, but fortunately worked out for the best. It is hard to give any suggestions not knowing your background, but if you are looking at customer service, what about bank teller? Salary not great but can come with good benefits.

Chin up.

IP
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can't really help with finding a job.

Have you considered relocating to the midwest - or to the south ? The cost of living there is much less than Boston. Perhaps you could sell the Boston home for a decent price then take half that equity to buy a home in the midwest or south. The remaining house equity could boost the retirement income.

Besides home equity, everything else ( ie medical, property and income taxes, food etc) is likely to cost much less in the fly-over states.

In Stephen Pollan's book "Die Broke" (Die Broke: A Radical Four-Part Financial Plan: Stephen Pollan, Mark Levine: 9780887309427: Amazon.com: Books) he has an example of someone just like you that moves from the east coast to Tucson. He walks through all the numbers to show how much better one can live in a modest community. His numbers are realistic and very do-able but perhaps need to be upped (50%) or so as the book was written in 1997.

Paul Terrhurst in "Cashing in on the American Dream - Retire at 35"
Cashing in on the American Dream: How to Retire at 35: Paul Terhorst: 9780553052893: Amazon.com: Books
writes of inexpensive living in small towns within an hour or so of a larger hub-city.

By the way, I see that those two books are available on Amazon for pennies plus shipping. You could get those books for around $4 each.

If you are open to a move like this, I suspect that the Early retirement numbers would work much better.

Others like the Kaderli's, choose to live in very inexpensive countries like Thailand or South America. For the adventurous or to those that have worked and lived overseas the good-life awaits. People often post about living in well in Thailand (and other countries) on there Social Security checks and nothing else. Check out their Blog: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/profile.htm
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #4

It took my sister 3 years to be able to say she is under-employed and not unemployed. She got laid off near 50.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about your job situation.

Have you thought about developing a small business and/or going back to school for a second career? Your local community college might have some career advice and job placement help. Maybe a certificate type program in a relatively high demand field like the medical area would be worth checking into.

A good place to start your research would be the Occupational Outlook Handbook:

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Take a look at gubmint agency type jobs. I worked for a quasi gubmintal organization and they hired LOTS of private sector refugees. They were able to get access talent they would never be able to access for what they pay and the refugees got a decent wage and a stable job.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #7

I'm so sorry. If you lived in TX like I do, I bet you could find something fairly fast. In our city in west TX, housing costs are very low. I work for a large nonprofit and although the pay isn't fantastic, we've hired folks who have moved here from CA and Detroit to find work. The two from CA sold homes for over 1/2 a million and bought larger homes here for about $130,000. But if you have lived in the NE all your live, moving cross country may not be for you. If you live alone, would you consider sharing your home to make your money go further? Maybe with a grad student or friend? Just an idea.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Another option is to look at the fatwallet and slickdeals forums for little money making ideas you can do without a regular job, like sign up bonuses, credit card reward points, and things you can buy that are free after rebate to resell. Those ideas might bring in a few hundreds to a few thousand extra dollars a year.

There is a classic post here on frugal retirement living by one of our members:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-62251.html

There are many resources on the Internet for non-mainstream simple and sustainable living ideas that can really reduce your living costs and stretch your retirement savings. The faircompanies site is one of my favorites:

*faircompanies - videos
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #9

My last visit to the world of the unemployed was in 2002 at age 51. I was out of work about 6 months but only made pocket change as a substitute teacher. After about a year I got a position with NASA that paid about half of what I made before. After 2 years there I got my present position that pays well over what I made pre-2002. I guess the moral of my story is to be flexible and keep on trying.

I give a hearty endorsement to looking at cutting expenses and considering relocating. Here in Houston, I believe that anyone able to work without a job doesn't really want one. I can't imagine anyone with a good work background and decent skills not being able to find something. Once employed it seems easier to find that better job. Once I got the NASA job, I started getting offers from almost everyone I contacted. It was just a matter of finding one the fit my goals at the time.

If you have a nominal 20 years of living expenses per FireCalc, you could probably get by with part time positions and some expense reductions. This may not be what you envision for the rest of your life but it would keep you fed, warm and dry.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

It doesn't say here what you did before you were laid off.

As background, I am a self-employed IT consultant and my hard times came between 2003 (when I was 52) and 2005. I wasn't able to get unemployment because, even though I paid in for almost 20 years, they have a hard time paying someone self-employed. After all, you can't lay yourself off.

Anyway, we will be moving to FL in a couple of years. My wife will be retired and I am planning to work from home for mad money. I have found two websites that seem to fit my professional profile pretty well.

Sologig.com is free and has a lot of jobs listed.

Flexjobs.com costs money but has a low cost for a single month if you want to give it a try.

I like sologig.com better but flexjobs.com seems to have better coverage of telecommuting jobs which is my primary interest.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
PokerGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #11

Any fun jobs you always wanted to do but were just not right for some reason? Now might be the time. I was laid off from IT when I was 47. I never did find another IT job. I got a state civil service job, which was OK while it lasted. If you score high enough on the test they (sort of) have to take you no matter your age.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I wasn't in my fifties when I changed careers but I did go back to school to update my IT skills as an adult and that worked out, eventually. I had a lot of fails before I found something that paid better than my last job and allowed me to work from home.

My advice would be to just cut expenses, downsize or relocate to a lower cost of living or lower unemployment area if those are options, and take different classes in higher demand career areas you also enjoy until you find something that clicks for you. With 20+ years of expenses you are in good shape to take a few years to find a new career you enjoy to earn enough to fund additional retirement years.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Any fun jobs you always wanted to do but were just not right for some reason? Now might be the time.
+1

gride50, this could be an opportunity to do something else. It does sound like part-time work would do it for you. And that could open up things you have never considered.

Do you have family that keeps you tied to where you live now?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have had plenty of interviews, sounds like you are very close.

I obviously do not know any details but I was thinking perhaps working on improving interview performance might be worthwhile. If it is only age then not much you can do about that, but if it is characteristics associated with age... perhaps you can educate their perception of age

Can anyone help you with feedback... friends, relatives, past interviewers? ("Would you mind giving me advice as to how I can improve my interview performance?" - if it really is age - of course they won't say it).

Review attitude and interview style and body language
Review answers to specific questions.
Prepare, practice and research for interviews.
Look dynamic, enthusiastic and energetic, in love with the company
Specific to being judged by age, perhaps...
* Dye hair?
* Smart, brighter, modern suit
Any volunteer or part-time opportunities appeal? - help with better job.
Networks of hobby, interests, Craigslist gigs (short term jobs).

If you want to work, don't give up!
Good Luck
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Libraries have many online classes you can take for free these days to boost your job skills, The Free University of Philadelphia can be joined for $50 a year for nonresidents and has a number of free course subscriptions for members. This list has their online courses as well as a list of free classes anyone with an Internet connection can take -

FLP - Online Learning Portal
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHoper View Post
Can anyone help you with feedback... friends, relatives, past interviewers? ("Would you mind giving me advice as to how I can improve my interview performance?" - if it really is age - of course they won't say it).

Review attitude and interview style and body language
Review answers to specific questions.
Prepare, practice and research for interviews.
Look dynamic, enthusiastic and energetic, in love with the company
Specific to being judged by age, perhaps...
* Dye hair?
* Smart, brighter, modern suit
Any volunteer or part-time opportunities appeal? - help with better job.
Networks of hobby, interests, Craigslist gigs (short term jobs).

If you want to work, don't give up!
Good Luck

I have interviewed tons of folks lately. Here are my suggestions.

If you are "old," remove any reference which can date you. Remove earlier experiences which no longer will be looked at. Only state college credentials without writing down graduation date. Remember, recruiting managers are trained not to ask age related questions. So, you can avoid revealing your age during interview.

Do your best to look & sound young (dye hair, wear newer clothes, sound hip, etc).

Recruiters often check out Facebook, Linked in and other social media sites. Get your child/grand children to make something up to look good in case recruiters check them out. Just having those accounts will tell them you are keeping up with what's going on.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gride50 View Post
Was looking to see if anyone could offer any advice. I was laid off last February and have been looking with no success. I had have plenty of interviews but no offers. I just turned 56 last December and my unemployment just ended earlier in the month.

I figure it is my age and feel that I will never work again. I don't want to retire, but don't know what to do. I am not looking at high paying jobs, mostly customer service and inside sales, but have had no luck.

I own my home, have no debt and when I ran my numbers at Firecalc, I have enough for about 20-22 years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Ok, here goes. I have/do interview for a living so here are my insights:

1) If you are getting plenty of interviews, you are definitely still marketable. The issue then isn't with your age it's with your interviewing.
2) You mentioned you were laid off. Did you receive outplacement? If so, use it, and particularly do some mock interviewing with your counselor. If he/she is any good (most aren't, unfortunately), they should be able to point out things you might not be seeing when you interview.
3) You also mentioned you ran numbers in FIRECALC. Is this a financial decision or an emotional one? Research shows those who were forced out of the workforce have less satisfactory retirements than those who exited on their own plan.
4) It might not look like it, but it appears from what you've written that you've got a number of options you could consider. I would approach the notion of early retirement with care, as there are many dimensions to consider.
5) Most important aspect I personally have felt was important in a situation like yours is to get regular support. In my case 6 years ago, I use to go listen to a dancing coach while she coached professional dancers. Sounds strange, but her commitment to excellence was what kept me going and committed. My job search was a pretty hard experience, but the job I did find was at the highest salary I'd ever had.

Best of luck, and get the emotional and psychological support to help you through this time. Having been there, I can say the right kind of support is crucial to not giving up.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I have interviewed tons of folks lately. Here are my suggestions.

If you are "old," remove any reference which can date you. Remove earlier experiences which no longer will be looked at. Only state college credentials without writing down graduation date. Remember, recruiting managers are trained not to ask age related questions. So, you can avoid revealing your age during interview.

Do your best to look & sound young (dye hair, wear newer clothes, sound hip, etc).

Recruiters often check out Facebook, Linked in and other social media sites. Get your child/grand children to make something up to look good in case recruiters check them out. Just having those accounts will tell them you are keeping up with what's going on.
Sheesh, looking for a job sounds more and more like whoring. I really feel for the OP and anyone who has to put up with this. But boy am I glad to have seen the light early and saved my pennies.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Sheesh, looking for a job sounds more and more like whoring. I really feel for the OP and anyone who has to put up with this. But boy am I glad to have seen the light early and saved my pennies.
Please stop insulting whores. They are at least honest about what they do. The "interview process" is more like trying to pick up a cute guy/gal so honesty is frequently a casulty. You want to avoid outright lies that you can be caught on but I have often found potential positions "very interesting" when not and "excited by the opportunities at XYZ corp" when I thought they were dragging bottom. When you want the paycheck, you will mold yourself into the creature you think they want you to be (to a reasonable extent).
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Please stop insulting whores. They are at least honest about what they do.
They are honest about their occupation, but they too have a problem with middle age employment....ever see a very attractive middle age hooker? I haven't..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote