Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We'd consider it for a limited time is if the offer were absolutely compelling. .
Welcome to the forums, you have done a good job of planning/organizing to this point.

What dollar amount qualifies to be "absolutely compelling" ? It appears you are ready for retirement financially, but not so much mentally.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Thank you, The Cosmic Avenger! That's more or less our attitude to our work. We are are happy with our working lives as they stand. Still learning new things and taking on new challenges (the job possibility I mentioned falls in that category).

That said, it has definitely been very good to get the feedback on this thread. It will be good for me to read it with my wife and and think about it a bit. My guess is that we will continue working for now, but the fact that we can retire any time is a good comfort.

Frankly I find your question a little silly, you have enough money but you don't have enough time. I'm rather fond of my wife and I could not be offered enough money to leave her.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Dave, please don't pull any punches... tell us what you really think.

I think I would be on the fence, one part would feel as you do but OTOH to be able to spend time alone and get paid for it would have appeal on some days.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you for the comments! The feedback on this thread has been very useful. I and my wife read it together last night and discussed it. Will do so further as we go forward.

It does clarify some important things - and we need to digest them. As someone pointed out - we are ready to retire financially but not in other ways.

On the offer - I am committed to listening to it. That's all. Will only take it up if both I and my wife find it compelling. And, no - we would not love each other any less if we jointly decide to that I should pursue it. If it happens, we'd need just need to travel back and forth for about 6 months while my wife finishes her semester and academic year commitment. The semester breaks, spring break, teaching 2 days / week give her some flexibility and should allow us to spend a good part of the week together.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

@kavm, something that has not come up in the thread yet is second careers for you two in nonprofits. With your skills and your money you two could be an incredible asset for many, many organizations, US domestic and overseas. I get it that you love your current jobs but I'd bet that you could find jobs equally or even more attractive doing good somewhere in the world. UNICEF, UNHCR, Peace Corps, Red Cross, Gates Foundation projects, church-affiliated if you are religious, the list is endless ...
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

OldShooter - Thank you! This is a very interesting point that we need to explore a bit. Gates Foundation is on the list, should we move due to where it is located. But good to see the broader list for us to consider.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... If it happens, we'd need just need to travel back and forth for about 6 months while my wife finishes her semester and academic year commitment. The semester breaks, spring break, teaching 2 days / week give her some flexibility and should allow us to spend a good part of the week together.
My earlier advice against the new gig was based on an understanding that it would be years... if it is only 6 months apart then that is a horse of a different color.

But all of that said, retirement is so much better than working (and I enjoyed my work).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Indeed. I am sorry I did not make that clearer earlier. We really want to be together on a daily basis and are committed to not allow the transition to go any longer than that.

We spoke about it as late as last night and are comfortable with it. I only mentioned it on this thread to convey that we might need to keep two residences for some time - perhaps until retirement as our current residence is an option for retiring in place.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
With that nice of a nestegg and no heirs, I think you're crazy not to retire as soon as possible.
With over $250k of annual retirement income available to you the world is your oyster.
+1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
You never know how long your health will hold out. If you have anything you want to do (travel, hobbies, fitness, etc.)...now is the best time. Deteriorating health will eventually inhibit your ability to do some things. People get sick, cancer, memory loss, etc. It's varied, and unpredictable.
+1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
What dollar amount qualifies to be "absolutely compelling" ?
This is exactly what I'm wondering. With a $6.5MM nest egg at the OP's stage of life, I can't imagine what would make a job offer so compelling that it would tempt one to sacrifice the most precious and limited resource—time—in exchange for a resource one already has in abundance—money.

OTOH, if OP truly can't think of a more exciting, fulfilling, and rewarding way to spend the next year or two, then by all means take the "absolutely compelling" job offer. Some people, even in their 60s and 70s, do seem extremely wedded to work, career, achievement, prestige, etc., so ultimately one should just do what brings the most happiness.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

You forgot satisfaction

But, thanks! I think we got the message loud and clear from this thread. And, it is something we needed to hear. We will take our time to digest and incorporate it in our plans.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thank you for the comments! The feedback on this thread has been very useful. I and my wife read it together last night and discussed it. Will do so further as we go forward.

It does clarify some important things - and we need to digest them. As someone pointed out - we are ready to retire financially but not in other ways.

On the offer - I am committed to listening to it. That's all. Will only take it up if both I and my wife find it compelling. And, no - we would not love each other any less if we jointly decide to that I should pursue it. If it happens, we'd need just need to travel back and forth for about 6 months while my wife finishes her semester and academic year commitment. The semester breaks, spring break, teaching 2 days / week give her some flexibility and should allow us to spend a good part of the week together.
I thought you had said you would be gone for 6-8 years. I see that I misread that. Six months is a whole different story. And if it's close enough that you're talking about seeing your wife on a weekly basis, that also changes things quite a bit. It's not a traditional long distance relationship then. Still, given your net worth, it would have to be a very lucrative offer if I were in your shoes.

Good luck. Whatever you decide, you've got a lot of great options.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OldShooter - Thank you! This is a very interesting point that we need to explore a bit. Gates Foundation is on the list, should we move due to where it is located. But good to see the broader list for us to consider.
Oh, that is not even close to being a broad list. I'm sure there are thousands of organizations who would kill to get volunteers with your credentials and assets.

I'll bet your university libraries would have access to resources listing and describing major nonprofits with volunteer opportunities. Your personal networks and professional societies would probably also be a resource.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #33

This thread went from: "optimizing the conversion/distribution from the tax-deferred plans"
and "Late life financial and care management plans for those without family members"
To: You should retire now.
Maybe need a separate thread to split the topics...
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Definitely not where I was expecting to go with my post. But, it is good feedback. Although we are not retiring right now, it will have a good effect on how we approach things moving forward. That's why we read what people had posted together. Needless to add, I am very thankful.

The areas to learn about I mentioned in the intro remain of interest. I need to read the ongoing threads (I saw something relevant to the first point of interest: "optimizing the conversion/distribution from the tax-deferred plans").

I prefer to do my own financial analysis but am not knowledgeable in this domain (retirement stage taxes, rmds, medicare, relevant financial products, etc.) to be able to do so. Hoping to learn from the knowledgeable folks and threads here to get there.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #35

Retire. Don't bother working another day. You are financially independent, and the extra social stigma you get while continuing to work does not out weigh the limited time you have alive. Retire now.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

@kavm, just to be clear: When I said "your credentials and your assets" I did not mean to imply that you would necessarily be donating to an organization. But your assets give you the flexibility to work for no salary.

As an example, we have friends who spent the last three academic years in Bratislava, Slovakia teaching English in a Lutheran high school there. My understanding is that they worked without salaries but were provided with a large apartment residence and a small stipend to help with living expenses.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Retire. Don't bother working another day. You are financially independent, and the extra social stigma you get while continuing to work does not out weigh the limited time you have alive. Retire now.
I think the lack of RE for the OP has to do with one word his post above: Satisfaction. Some folks get immense satisfaction out of their j$bs. While I may not be one of them, my mom was.

She was a first grade teacher, who was over 60, and qualified for full retirirement. At the urging of her then-husband, she transitioned from full to half-time w#rk. With her health, it was a good decision. But when her half-time teaching partner died in the middle of a school year, the district couldn't allow her to w$rk full time for half pay, so they laid her off! It nearly devastated her, as she lived for those kids!

If the OP has that kind of satisfaction, then by all means, keep at it; it not, consider what's most important in your life.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

OldShooter: Thank you! I will definitely discuss this idea with my wife. Teaching English isn't likely to satisfy us much (and it is not a native language for either of us), but there might be other things.

HNL Bill: Thank you for highlighting this point. I do indeed find satisfaction in my work. It is satisfying for me to positively impact people's work life as well as my clients' bottom line. Sounds trite, but it is true. Don't get me wrong - there is perspiration involved in finding new clients, but once that's out of the way I actually like solving their problems and get both respect and remuneration for it. I learn new things about their businesses and industry, make new friends. If the client happens to be in a different country, one learns things about that a tourist simply can not and gets to know people on a personal level. I have worked in Japan, Belgium, Germany, UK, Turkey, South Africa and have friends to show for in most of these countries - on more than professional level. And, when I do not have clients - I have time to relax, exercise and so on. I will give it up sooner or later, but a big burden it is not.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #39

A combo perspective on withdrawal strategies and "retire sooner".
One of the big whammies that hits tax plans and deferred savings withdrawal strategies is the Social Security "tax torpedo" (google it and/or see other threads on this forum).
In a nutshell, once you earn a rather small threshold (usually triggered by IRA/401K RMDs at age 70.5), up to 85% of your SS benefits are taxed as income. This can have dramatic impacts on your marginal tax rates.

A common strategy is to max out lower tax brackets doing Roth conversions before RMDs start.

So to combine these concepts into "retire earlier" (and making a dramatic statement just to get the point across): If you quit now, you have more years to convert your rather sizeable tax deferred bucket into Roths, reducing your future tax bills. The overly dramatic statement is: You could be working additional years for nothing (for those with smaller incomes or just a lot smaller paycheck than you think with a higher income) if you subtract out your higher tax bills.
You'll have to do your own tax bracket math to see if this applies to you or not.
The net is: Do you get enough satisfaction from your job that you would do it for alot less (insert actual tax number here)?
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
OldShooter: Thank you! I will definitely discuss this idea with my wife. Teaching English isn't likely to satisfy us much (and it is not a native language for either of us), but there might be other things.

HNL Bill: Thank you for highlighting this point. I do indeed find satisfaction in my work. It is satisfying for me to positively impact people's work life as well as my clients' bottom line. Sounds trite, but it is true. Don't get me wrong - there is perspiration involved in finding new clients, but once that's out of the way I actually like solving their problems and get both respect and remuneration for it. I learn new things about their businesses and industry, make new friends. If the client happens to be in a different country, one learns things about that a tourist simply can not and gets to know people on a personal level. I have worked in Japan, Belgium, Germany, UK, Turkey, South Africa and have friends to show for in most of these countries - on more than professional level. And, when I do not have clients - I have time to relax, exercise and so on. I will give it up sooner or later, but a big burden it is not.
I might have missed it, but just curious, what do you do for a living?
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote