Join Early Retirement Today

Leave of Absence (Trial Retirement) over, getting ready to go back
Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Leave of Absence (Trial Retirement) over, getting ready to go back

Back in July, the job situation was getting pretty unbearable. We had a sales manager who was parachuted in to "show us what we're doing wrong". He was a “my way only” kind of guy and was fond of calling meetings and saying "someone’s going to get fired". I’m a senior engineer with 30 years experience, but I had coworkers (not much more than clerks) who talked down to me and liked to bully me in emails sent to everyone (and their dogs).

It came to a head when one of my coworkers sent an email to everyone saying he was going to delete my work files in 30 minutes as it hadn’t been placed in the official file structure on the network. He was responsible for placing the file structure, but didn't have it in place when I was doing my work. At the time I was in an all afternoon meeting with a customer, so was unable to respond to the bully. So a file that took me 3 hours work was just deleted, because . . . he could.

The next day already upset about losing my work, the engineering manager came to me to complain that I wasn’t cooperative enough with the customer in the meeting the previous afternoon.

I’d laid out the ground work before, but had never acted upon it. This was the right opportunity to spring it. I told him I needed a 4 month leave of absence starting in August.

Those 4 months have been a blessing. In this forum I can call it what it really has been… trial retirement.

The first month (August) was all about getting those negative words and thoughts out of my head. I went on long walks in the woods (animal trails really) and prayed a lot. I found devotionals and sermons from Joel Osteen to place on my MP3 player to surround myself with positive thoughts and images.

The second month (September) was all about getting things done that I hadn't the time or energy to do. A lot of house repairs and maintenance. Small things really, but what a sense of accomplishment when they were complete.

The third month (October) was all about the physical self. I joined a gym (a rather expensive but beautiful facility) and through October attended 5 days a week.

November has been a relaxing month. I continue to go to the gym regularly (more like 3 times a week now). I feel great, my mind is clear and at peace. The leave was unpaid, so I’ve been able to determine that I can live of my savings. From my financial advisor I know I do have financial independence to retire.

Most noteable I take a medication for a cronic condition. Before I took the leave I needed it once every 5 days. Since the leave I take it once ever 30 days.

I received a telephone call yesterday, about my assignment when I return in mid December. They have a new exciting position for me (special project) where I shouldn’t need to interact with all those bullies in the company. That sales manager who would say in meetings “someone’s going to get fired”, was fired himself. I guess he was right (lol).

What I have learned is that I can give them 2 weeks notice anytime and be FIRE. I just hope I can guard my mind going back so I don’t sink that low again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivinDave View Post

What I have learned is that I can give them 2 weeks notice anytime and be FIRE. I just hope I can guard my mind going back so I don’t sink that low again.
The obvious question is why in heck are you going back to work at all?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dave,

Interesting trial retirement. Do you need doctor's note in order to request a leave of absence?

fh2000
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our office actually had a policy on LOA which no one had ever heard of.

I only became aware of it because a coworkers wife was heading to Europe for 4 months to teach. He wanted to tag along so he broke the ice and took the first LOA (possibly in company history).

I actually had about a month of vacation time to use up so was able to use that and continue health and benifit coverage through that period.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That is a wonderful story, Divin. And the guy got fired while you were gone--aren't you glad you missed the continuing drama that led to that! The deleting your work files incident is just classic.

The special projects slot sounds wonderful. Keep us posted about what you decide to do.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That sales manager who would say in meetings “someone’s going to get fired”, was fired himself.
Karma.

Sounds like retirement agrees with your spiritual and physical health. You may want to consider going full time...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I should have expected that the sales manager would implode. I didn't get many one-ups on him but this one was terrific.

A group of 4 of us were sharing a cab going to the New Orleans airport. He was spouting off about this and that as we travelled and as we went past an above ground cemetary. He said "When I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes blown in the faces of my enemies." I said to him "will there be enough ashes for that?"
Old 11-26-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He said "When I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes blown in the faces of my enemies." I said to him "will there be enough ashes for that?"
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

That is a great story. I only wish an extended LOA was an option for me.

It sounds likes you're in a far better place, and you recognize you have more real options now. I'm sure I speak for most here when I say sincerely, good for you!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That is a great story. I only wish an extended LOA was an option for me.

It sounds likes you're in a far better place, and you recognize you have more real options now. I'm sure I speak for most here when I say sincerely, good for you!

I really like the idea of trial 2+ month early retirements and I think the OP shows the benefits. Not only did my second sabbatical serve as the catalyst for my ER, but I even arranged for 1 year LOA when I did retire.

The Family Medical Leave Act provides many people with an opportunity to take unpaid leave. Now obviously there should be a medical reason but I don't think there is a requirement that you spend the entire 3 months taking care of the sick parent or whatever. Imagine a fairly typically situation where mom needs to be moved into a nursing home and the stress of her situation plus work is making you crazy. I see no reason why spending several weeks arranging Mom's affairs followed by a couple of months of decompressing isn't an option for many people.

Also many states have expanded the scope of the FMLOA,
So I think it is at least worth exploring your options before you write of an extended LOA.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Gang,

Well it's been one year now since I returned to work. It's also the day I was to vacate the office I've been sitting in for that last year and return to be a cubicle dweller. In some offices they say that is one step closer to the door. I brought a bunch of good stuff home and decided to keep only minimal stuff at the office. All of my certificates have come home and will be put up on the walls here in my computer room.

I realise I only give a little hoot any more. I've decide to stay through 2012 and give them retirement notice in January 2013. By setting foot in the place in January I get my full vacation entitlement and that's worth 5 weeks pay.

I've got my days numbered now and it's under 400!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #12

Great update. Thanks for posting.

I saw an article with a title like "10 things a good boss won't say" earlier this week.

A variation of "Somebody's gonna get fired" was on the list.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for coming back for an update. It's only important what path works for you, so you're on track by definition. Wish I could have phased out like you're doing. Excellent for you...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi again Gang,

Sorry I’ve been slow to post, but I’ve been spending some time decompressing.

I already had my plans in place to FIRE. I was to present a paper in LasVegas last October. I had it in mind that this would be my last business trip (a little business and a little vacation with my Sweetie). Once the expense claims were settled, I was going to let a few weeks go by, and then announce my retirement (end November). My retirement was going to be spent, following up on my “Get a Life Tree” (from Zelinski’s The Joy of Not Working) and starting a home based technical consulting business.

One week before I was to go to Vegas, I was called in (among 11 others that day) and made an offer I couldn’t refuse. Sixty weeks severance pay and some outplacement training to leave immediately. I gladly accepted the money, but was still eager to present my paper in LasVegas, where I was to be a featured speaker. Unfortunately, my employer refused to let me present. I was willing to do it for free, and even the conference organizer was begging them to let me, but they refused.

I still went to Vegas as a vacation. I had a great time seeing the shows including my favorite, Jimmy Buffett.

Now into February, I’ve worked through the outplacement training, and due to my dismissal, will be eligible to be “on the dole” and obtain training and assistance to start my business. In the meantime, I’m studying guitar (one of my Get a Life Tree projects) and planning some articles for trade magazines.

Sometimes the good guys win.

Divin Dave
FIRED October 2012
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #15

Quote:
I should have expected that the sales manager would implode. I didn't get many one-ups on him but this one was terrific.

A group of 4 of us were sharing a cab going to the New Orleans airport. He was spouting off about this and that as we travelled and as we went past an above ground cemetary. He said "When I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes blown in the faces of my enemies." I said to him "will there be enough ashes for that?"
That was great!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
The Family Medical Leave Act provides many people with an opportunity to take unpaid leave. Now obviously there should be a medical reason but I don't think there is a requirement that you spend the entire 3 months taking care of the sick parent or whatever.
My primary care MD is a great guy. ANYTIME I wanted it, he would give me a 2 week Rx for time off. Stress. Under HIPPA the employer really cannot do much. It was a life saver the last couple of years.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #17

I hope you find happiness and success in going back to work. Do yourself a favor this time though - back up your work. Save harassing emails. You may wind up with some grounds for a work harassment suit. Don't go looking for one, just protect yourself and file a suit if you are truly harassed into retirement. Best, Joe.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Reading your story Dave put a smile on my face. Another advantage of being FI is being able to jump on opportunities like this one. Congratulation and don't be a stranger on the boards.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
My primary care MD is a great guy. ANYTIME I wanted it, he would give me a 2 week Rx for time off. Stress. Under HIPPA the employer really cannot do much. It was a life saver the last couple of years.
Not something to be proud of IMO.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
Agree with pb4uski. Both you & your doc could get in trouble if independent investigator audited matters & found less than convincing evidence. And keep in mind that this "stress" diagnosis could possibly be used as evidence of "mental" issues in the future. Not sure about CA, but in most areas such medical leave is deducted from your accrued vacation time. Not a free lunch to be sure.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote