Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Less than 3 weeks to freedom
Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to ARB57
Less than 3 weeks to freedom

Greetings from a longtime forum fan, first time poster. I'm just days away from early retirement and excited about what lies ahead. Throughout my life, I've been a poster child for conservative investing, but disciplined saving. At 52 and single, I've run the calculations every which way that I know how and all suggest that I'm in pretty good shape to move ahead with ER (and won't have to sell any organs to make it happen.)

December 31st is my final day in the office. I'll start firing off the really lame questions etc. shortly, but, for now - I thought that I'd just check in. Thanks for the enjoyment that I've gotten over the years from the board and thanks, in advance, for allowing me to be a part of it.
ARB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ARB57, congratulations! Talk about a happy new year

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you and hearing the story of your road to ER.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. You're in the home stretch. My last day is Thursday. Like you, I've been running the numbers, making a list, checking it twice and am really looking forward to when I can make my own schedule.

It's weird. I've sort of become the invisible man at w**k. I'm so far out of the loop, it's almost like I'm not there. I guess my transition plan was a success. Have you noticed that at all? I have no desire to do part time and everyone knows it. Just wondering if you are in the same boat.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #4

Last year, after I announced my retirement, but before my departure, I started to refer to myself as the troll under the bridge as I was so totally out of the loop -- not that that was a bad thing. I spent nearly two months in a transition office, shredding my files, clearing out computer files, organizing a few key folders for my replacement (who really didn't want to even meet with me), and most importantly, used those two months to finalize some details to my personal transition to freedom.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations ARB57! And what a HAPPY new year!
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #6

Ditto!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #7

Congratulations. Welcome to ER. And please let us hear more of your story after awhile.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

ARB57 welcome to the boards. As a newbee myself RE 7/1/07 I've found that you'll probably sleep in a lot after retiring getting the built up stress out. Then you'll smile a lot and ask yourself if this feeling goes away. It hasn't for me and I'm sure some of the others will agree. Lastly get rid of the wrist watch you won't need it anymore except for traveling (catching the plane,train , bus on time)